Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

MATT
Get Me with Fuji

Mid East Photos and Review

http://wers.org/articles/?id=574

Cool review and GREAT photos of the Middle East gig
Phrazz

great photos, review is ho-hum

Excellent photos by Scott Fleishman. He was standing right in front of me for most of the show, which was a great vantage point with a wide lens. A Nikon shooter, but I won't hold that against him. 8)

The review was somewhat dry, especially compared with the sweatiness of the show. And how can indie rockers be non-pretentious? Just kidding. I like a little pretention in my indie rock. Anyhow, this particular statement:
Ben Fishner wrote:with the exception of accompaniment on one or two songs from Bobby Bare Jr. and his band members.
...should be adjusted, since Jim Hobbes is definitely not one of Bobby Bare Jr.'s band mates (as far as I know...unless he just joined the band). I'm only saying this because Fully Celebrated Orchestra deserves some props -- having been around I believe even longer than The Slip.
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

The set’s highlight came with a cover of Pixies’ “Where Is My Mind,” which featured bassist Marc Friedman picking up a ukelele and guest vocals from Bobby Bare Jr. They played another cover to close the show (before a final encore), the Leiber & Stoller-penned “Stand By Me,”
This stood out. It makes it sound like there were only two covers but there was a third, Heartbreaker. Don't be a music journalist and not know Heartbreaker.

Overall though me and that review aren't the best of friends. It felt like more of a review of the general state of the band as opposed to discussion of the show. Also, I don't care what the crowd was drinking. I appreciate that the writer was trying to set up the scene at the venue but with such little space already you need to get right to the music.
-BH
tyler
From the Gecko

have those mannequin torsos replaced the inflatable spaceman as the band's weird/creepy stage decoration of choice?