the worst kind of unfamiliar feeling

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

the worst kind of unfamiliar feeling

For the first time in the five years I've been penciling slip shows onto my calendar I have a family obligation that will not allow me to go to a show. The BOWERY show. I can not describe this strange feeling...how can I recover?

I need some kind of wisdom.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

feel the hospitality of the Boston response!

you will be welcomed here ;-)
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

My son Max was born in 1991 on my birthday.

Our birthday is May 11th.

Starting with 1991, my son and I have spent that day together every year. He cuts school, I bag work, we pick something cool to do and it's just the 2 of us.

For his 13th (1994) we went to the Kennedy Space Center. (There was supposed to be a satellite launch on our birthday, but it got scrubbed. We still had a great time.)

You may recall that May 11th is also the birthday of AliveAcoustic.

So in 1993 I was faced with a choice of being with Max on our birthday or being with my favorite band at Club Helsinki for what turned out to be an historic evening. (Bringing 12 year old Max to a show on a Sunday night was not an option.)

Not really much of a choice. We had a great birthday.

Your family obligation may not be as much fun as our birthday gig, and I don't know anything about your relationship with your family, so I don't know how pleasant or unpleasant your family time will be.

I'm afraid I have no wisdom for you. All I can suggest is:

1) Your presence at the family function will probably be making someone very happy and/or appreciative. If so, you're doing a good thing. Remember that.

2) Get used to it. Life is what happens while you're making other plans (John Lennon) and family is a big part of life. If you've gone 5 years without having to miss a show due to a family scheduling conflict, you've had a GREAT run.

hoby
ScS
From the Gecko

you'll always enjoy family gatherings, whether its the day after, a month after, or a few years beyond.

the slip will understand.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I concur with scott... unfortunately.. sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and go the family route... Afterall.. BAM is a lot more forgiving than Grandma... :wink:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

d00d, where am I supposed to stay in the city now?
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

thanks - i know where i should be and that makes me happy . just bummed i cant make it to this specific show, have been really looking forward to it as ive had premonitions of BAM gold. although im sure that there will be another good one ill be at soon (not on this run though) that will make up for it.

i hope those of you that make it have a stellar time, and be sure to post reviews that make me feel like i was there!

the sidewalk welcomes you, tony.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.