'post rock' discussion

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

This Will Destroy You is quite good.

The Album Leaf is almost a blend of electronic and post-rock.

I have more, but I haven't given them all a listen yet.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

whoops, somehow i got logged out. The above post was me.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

Non-Fiction wrote:Sigur Ros - they will make you cry. (i did at their show last year)

Boards of Canada - could be classified separately from post punk but it all lumps together.
oh yeah, thats who i've been meaning to check out! any similarities to the bands i listed?

I'm diggin Sigur Ros too
Dan wrote:It is not something you rock out to, there are times where teh music makes you want to go that direction but its mostly about the journey of the song.
What?! you cant rock to mogwai or some of the other bands? some of the heavier stuff is hardcore headbangin!

tyler, tim: i sorta like the name post rock. if you take it literally, yeah it sorta limits where the genre can go, and limits rock in general but if you think of rock in its pop / blues format where its verse, verse, chorus, verse chorus outro, then it really is different and stretches it beyond the format. its just a label. easier to say than, free classical prog jazz-rock
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

Perhaps Post rock is like Indie in that it is much easier to say what it isn't than what it is
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

Post rock huh? I just hope you guys put your time in with rock n roll of time, don't miss out on what has already happened.

Pink Floyd
The Doors
Steely Dan
Allman Brothers
CSN/Y
Neil Young
Velvet Underground
David Bowie
Talking Heads
Eric Clapton
CCR

and of course
Led Zeppelin
the Beatles
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

this will destroy you is beginning to bore me...

BOARDS OF CANADA IS AWESOME
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

BrentW wrote:Post rock huh? I just hope you guys put your time in with rock n roll of time, don't miss out on what has already happened.

Pink Floyd
The Doors
Steely Dan
Allman Brothers
CSN/Y
Neil Young
Velvet Underground
David Bowie
Talking Heads
Eric Clapton
CCR

and of course
Led Zeppelin
the Beatles
dude we're talking about the future, not the past! :P :lol:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
tyler
From the Gecko

BrentW wrote:Post rock huh? I just hope you guys put your time in with rock n roll of time, don't miss out on what has already happened.

Pink Floyd
The Doors
Steely Dan
Allman Brothers
CSN/Y
Neil Young
Velvet Underground
David Bowie
Talking Heads
Eric Clapton
CCR

and of course
Led Zeppelin
the Beatles
what the hell does this have to do with anything.
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

diesel wrote:
Non-Fiction wrote:Sigur Ros - they will make you cry. (i did at their show last year)

Boards of Canada - could be classified separately from post punk but it all lumps together.
oh yeah, thats who i've been meaning to check out! any similarities to the bands i listed?
BOC (i meant to say "separately from post-rock" btw.) They are more electronic than the first bands you listed. Probably closest to Tortoise though I would compare them more closely to Sigur Ros or DJ Shadow...or Squarepusher. They use less rock instruments than Mogwai or the others, not even sure if they use a guitar (?) Good beats none the less.

{Sorry I cant give a more musically conscious description. I was born into a family of musicians with no musical talent at all, this has been my lifelong plight}

Do yourself a favor though and check out Gastr and The Sea&Cake first!!

others: Saxon Shore, TV on the Radio, Mono

This is also a good opportunity to through Bjork's name out there.

Hey rock n' roll man, dont miss whats HAPPENING.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

tyler- sorry to put my 2cents in, I will stay off your board from now on.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

Non-Fiction wrote:Ive also been feelin this music a lot lately. Ive always felt a lot of the Slip stuff shares similar qualities, its awesome you all are too...I wonder if this is a natural progression for all of our ears after being on the slip for so long or just a coincidence?

Heres a few more bands that I have gotten into, some of which you probably know:

Gastr Del Sol - This band is no longer together but have some great albums, Serpentine Similar, Mirror Repair, Camoufleur. They have a myspace, check it. (a song is on my 'space page right now) I bought 'Serpentine' for 7 bucks at Kims and that shit has not been off repeat.

The Sea and Cake - I think some of the ex-gastr members joined this group, not for sure on that. Indie-post-jazz-experimental whatever you want to call it at its best...One Bedroom and Oui.

XIU XIU - yes.

Sigur Ros - they will make you cry. (i did at their show last year)

M83

Stereolab

Fly Pan Am - good ambient background

Radiohead - duh.

Post rock branches off in so many directions...subsequently my favorites are doin that jazz-experimental thing, but Im also getting into bands that transcend post rock and dip into post punk/new wave.

I missed Do Make Say Think here in nyc, not enough change in my pocket :(

Only post rock bands on that list are fly pan am, sigur ros, gastr del sol and sea and cake.

xiu xiu is DEF. not a post rock band. Stereolab i can see how the argument could be made but they were around long before the post-rock thing happened and have dipped their toes into many not so post rock areas including straight yo la tengo-esque dream pop. M83 is an electronic shoegaze band. they are awesome but not post rock. Boards of Canada is most definately NOT a post rock band. they share the same emphasis on a droney spacey vibe as many post rock acts but are an electronic duo f'chrissake. And radiohead a post rock band??? seriously?

Im suprised that no one's mentioned Mice Parade yet. Dig into their entire catalog. its all brilliant

And then theres the Dylan Group which includes Adam Pierce from Mice Parade on drums and the vibes player (named Dylan) from Mice Parade. Very much like early Do Make Say Think meets Tortoise. worth checking out

God Speed SIDE PROJECTS

Esmerine
Set Fire to Flames
Silver Mt Zion, etc etc etc

ALL fucking great. Esmerine's more of a classical post rock with the cellist and the percussionist from GSYBE. Set Fire to Flames is very dark and claustrophobic sounding and Silver Mt Zion is just brilliant

Also on the classical/post rock tip, all you kids need to check Rachel's out. AWESOME awesome awesome band. and also on that note, check Tin Hat Trio out, not post rock, but still really cool avant chamber music.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

saxon shore is very good.
once again, lymbyc systym is also very good and can be classified post rock in a sense. i would say it is post-rock, idm, shoe-gaze
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

the lymbyc systym is awesome. love your abuser has been in rotation for a while here. theyre great live as well
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

Didn't mean to step on any toes. I was fully aware of what I was listing, and said that some of the music branches off post rock. Obviously I know Radiohead is not strictly Post Rock, but can you argue that anybody who likes Radiohead is bound to love Sigur Ros (or vice versa)? Though Stereolab was definitely a founding post rock band in the 90s!? I listed bands that arent far off Post Rock and fit in, based on what everybodys taste in this discussion seems to be. Post rock is such a loose genre spawning from many different things...and like I said it dips into so many other sounds - death metal vocals for example, but I wouldnt be pushin those bands up here. labels, scenes...we should all know better when it comes to talking about music.

Thats all to say, thanks for filling in the GSYBE sides MP and Rachels, knew we were leaving some gems out. Theres also Dntel some of you may like (forgot his name but its this guys band before he collaborated with Ben from Death Cab for Postal Service) ooh and Six Organs of Admittance but I guess that he is "new weird america" if your concerned with specific genres.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

by no means did i mean to be offensive or elitist or anything. in retrospect, what i wrote was rather pretentious. my apologies if thats how i came across everyone should and can like radiohead as far as im concerned.

bringing up metal (vocals at least) , what about metal post rock bands like isis and pelican? those are very cool as well.