The Next Controversial Thread

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

The Next Controversial Thread

I'm all burnt out on the piracy discussion, so here's a new piece of hypothetical kindling:

What if the announcement came down that SMMD was now the permanent configuration and the Slip became an occasional side gig?

I find myself falling ever more and more in love with the magic generated by this collaboration. BAM is wholeheartedly exploring the art of the song and who better to do that with than Nathan?

Just a thought I had on my walk today...
lumpy
From the Gecko

Hoby - I'm with you.

Percy just quit his job at the YMCA to go musician full time.

I know he's got a new album coming out soon (apparently sold at Fri. night's show), but what if he just hopped on the slip bus ;-)

I love me some Slip - Nathan adds an amazing thing to an already amazing band, and I'm happy to be a part of the surprise any day of the week.
hoby

lumpy wrote:Percy just quit his job at the YMCA to go musician full time.
Now that's just plain cool. The news and the video!

h
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

Why just an occasional side project. For a while I've been wondering where the second set went. How cool would it be if every show a set of each. If your gonna dream, dream big.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
hoby

KLUE wrote:For a while I've been wondering where the second set went. How cool would it be if every show a set of each.
Ooooh! I'll have a big double scoop of THAT please.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

indeed,
nathan is a beautiful entity all on his own,
but the magic created when he and the slip combine is simply divine.

(and for the record, this stint at the Y was the exception to the rule. he's been a full time musician for the better part of the last 15 years).

solo nathan, the slip, smmd...
i'd be sad to lose any one of the three (or the four, including nathan's band ThaMuseMeant). but lately smmd has been flying me higher than anything has in a long long time...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

One set of Surprise me and one set of Slip would be awesome! Of course I would be happy with a 2 set Slip show or a 2 set SMMD show as well. I couldn't see Nathan joining the band full-time as a guitar player though, so much of their music is so intricate and worked out.

The other limiting factor for SMMD is the set-list. They really only have a show and half's worth of songs whereas the Slip even with their Eisenhower-era sameness of setlists has a big enough back catalog they can really keep switching it up when they want to.

I actually never have seen Nathan just plain solo, only with TMM and SMMD but I agree it is good to have it all!

They could do a full-on carnival style tour with Nathan and maybe Marco Benevento and Timo Shanko. "A very special evening with The SLIP and Friends" ... nice fat 2 set shows! Kind of like Dylan with the Rolling Thunder Revue...
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

during smmd's west coast run they did a few shows with dual billing... a set of smmd opening for a set of slip... absolutely divine!! best of both worlds...

yeah, i couldn't really see nathan joining them fulltime, he's got too many other muses in his head, though he's got the rock band thing in his blood from waaaaay back. but more to the point, i couldn't see the slip giving up what they've got going on either... though i know folks who insist that smmd would take them farther than they're likely to go as the slip... (not sure i'd personally go so far as to say that...)
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
Luke
Yaki Soba

I would never ever have agreed with you until very recently and now I also am really drawn to SMMD equal to the Slip. Nathan, who Brad told me is also a very good magician, strikes me as North Cali's Bob Dylan or being inspired by a certain almost vedantic or buddhist school of thinking (everything must go). I'm hoping the Slip get booked to a festival up here in Guelph, Ontario called Hillside that is like High Sierra but less hippyish with bands like Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene or Constantines too. I'd love if they brought up Nathan too and both bands played.

Realistically or dreaming big wise though I'd love to see them do something like what Subtle is doing with Dose One right now. Also Jayme formerly of Unicorns, Islands and Th' Corn Gangg is making beats exclusively now. Same for Holy Fuck backing up Beans. With the right MC, and frankly I Hate Love is the best hip hop joint that came out last year, the Slip would be unstoppable in yet another ring.

If I were dreaming they'd heed Jay-Z's (President Hova) advice on Lyrical Exercise.
I'm leading the league in at least six statistical categories
right now

Best flow, Most consistent, Realest stories

Most charisma, I set the most trends

And my interviews are hotter

Holla