Smokin' Aces

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

nigel
Tenfold

Smokin' Aces

I just saw "Smokin Aces", and I now truly believe that I'm going to hell. Some of the scenes with Jeremy Pivin all wacked made me squirm in my seat. Get a load outta the ritalin kid. Great movie.... -N
-Don't quote me on this, but isn't life all about defining irony?
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

I saw it and was really hating it after. It's had time to settle in and I don't absolutely hate it, it definately had some entertaining parts, like the ritalin kid. I was really dissapointed in the lack of a free for all though. I expected like six hitman to all open up the gates of hell at once and that doesn't happen. Also, it felt like it was trying to be too clever but ended up just explaining stuff way too much. By the end I just felt it was full of unreached potential and predictability.

I'm pretty sure the dude who directed Smokin Aces directed Narc. Narc is a sweet movie. I recommend.
-BH
tim
The Weight of Solomon

since we're on the subject of movies, go see pan's labyrinth.
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

tim wrote:since we're on the subject of movies, go see pan's labyrinth.
Do yourself a favor and see it twice. Take friends.
-BH
etahn
From the Gecko

Bad, bad movie.

Unless you like weak writing, insipid character development, senseless violence, and a 'gotcha!' turnaround at the end which neither surprises nor really makes sense.

The 'redeeming qualities' of this film are the afore-mentioned ritalin kid (almost random enough to be funny. almost.) and the gigantic gun used to fire from the next building over. OK, and Jason Bateman. He gave me a good laugh.

overall, though, I'm gonna have to go thumbs down.
The world really is magic