last great book you read?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Ishmael is my favorite book also.

Its by Daniel Quinn. For the holiday season I received a new novel by quinn, The Holy. Just a few chapters in and I'm hooked again.

-Dan
soraparu

this is a good topic

i've been reading (now renewed 2x) :)...
Later novels by Willa Cather
including and Death Comes for the Archbishop, and particularly, Shadows on the Rock
which is actually set in Quebec in 1700's.
WHAT an AMAZING writer she was...with such real detail. it's absolutely astounding that she could set stories sooo well, in a time she never even lived, much less a foreign country.
unbelievable.
i read a short account of Truman Capote literally bumping into her on a cold, snowy NYC afternoon, coming from the library, and discovering over drinks, literally that it was her, after she asked him which writers he admired & he mentioned her stories.

had an interesting conversation this wkend about Emily Dickinson's influence on Langston Hughes, so i'm gonna have to delve more into that, too.

i believe i am partial to American writers.
Dana
(who doesn't feel like signin in :)
Big Bob
From the Gecko

I just read a book by Robert Jourdain called Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy: How Music Captures Our Imagination

It deals with the science, psychology, and philosophy behind music. From how we perceive sounds and why we have evolved to have the audio perception that we do, to what makes for a good (or bad) composition and why we get such enjoyment out of good music. A lot of the talk about brains is well over mine, but it is well written and there are glimpses of comedy throughout. I found myself laughing out loud on a few occasions.
ScS
From the Gecko

right now im reading a copy of 'galapagos' by vonnegut that i picked up at the salvation army in chicago. 7 chapters in and im digging it.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
headnugg
Invocation

Confessions of a Video Vixen ~ Karrine Steffans

can't wait to read:

It's No Secret: From Nas to Jay-Z, from Seduction to Scandal--a Hip-Hop Helen of Troy Tells All ~ Carmen Bryan

good quality literature
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Phrazz

nonfiction

I mostly read fiction/literature, but I started digging into Bob Woodward's State of Denial and it's quite riveting. It explains a lot (to me).
putty
From the Gecko

Just finished John Steinbeck's To a God Unknown. it was great. it's his second novel, so it's his style is still up in the air. it's also rather mystical. but if you get it, DO NOT read the back. they basically tell you what happens.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Ishmael is one of my favorite books of all time too, and another of Daniel Quinn's books called the Story of B. very highly recommended. even if you didn't like Ishmael, read the Story of B.

at the moment, though, i'm reading the DaVinci Code (finally- *sigh*), the Secret Lives of Plants (an amazing books about how plants "feel" and sense the world, including our intentions!), and the Wonder of Boys (because i have to figure out how to deal with my 10 year old before he turns into a teenage monster- heheh).
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
putty
From the Gecko

Just finished Exodus by Leon Uris. good stuff. historical fiction about how Israel became a nation.

just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being. great so far.
BeatingHippies
Ambrosia Drunk

mjm wrote:Recently finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.
I'm in the midst of that right now, great book. The set up of all the different comic characters is pretty sweet. I really loved how he introduced the Escapist and Empire City too. I just started the third part of the book.
ScS wrote:right now im reading a copy of 'galapagos' by vonnegut that i picked up at the salvation army in chicago. 7 chapters in and im digging it.
I read that a few months back. Pretty awesome book.

Over the summer I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and liked it way more then i thought I would. I probably say its the best book I've read.
-BH