Show(s) that are getting you

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

appleofmyeye
Alsoa

Show(s) that are getting you

I was driving home from a friend's house last night. I took out the 8.16.03 Slip show I had been listening to for awhile now practically over and over again and slipped 10.23.03 in......damn! The setlist to this show, the order of the songs and all totally GOT ME, it just goes perfectly with what I have been going through and thinking alot about lately, especially the 'Something Learned' and 'Ambrosia Drunk'. I love it!!!!!!

10/23/2003: Revolution Hall: Troy, NY
Set I: intro* > Yo Yo Ma Ma Little Brown-Eyed Babushka, Something Learned, Ambrosia Drunk#, Wolof#, Nellie Jean#> Children of December, Happy Snails%, Sometimes True to Nothing
Encore: Poor Boy+, Rhythm-a-ning, If One of Us Should Fall
Notes: Town Hall opened. * Brad used a childrens toy/ music box that plays when you turn a knob. He held it up to the pickup on his black strat and made a loop of the sound. # Brad on Sitar. % Andrew on pvc pipes. + Brad on acoustic, Marc on SG; before the tune brad gave away a copy of each of the new live albums. [ Jeffro - jmalinow at gwu.edu - 10/24/2003 ; Hoby Ebert ListServ corrections 10/25/2003 ]
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

That Ambrosia Drunk changed my life.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

ambrosia drunk is one of my alltime favorite nathan songs...
ever heard his original version?
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I haven't heard that show though 2003 is probably my favorite year at the moment, seems like some sort of heavenly fusion of the 'old' and the 'new' Slip both of whom I love of course. The setlists from 2003 were just out of control as well. Something Learned (or is it Chrysanthemum?) is one of my favorites, I was very psyched when they busted it out at the Ivy Room this past summer. It really hits me deeply towards the end lyrically.

I have been listening to the 12/26/03 New York show a lot lately. That also has Something Learned and Ambrosia Drunk and is just an awesome show!
hoby

magpie wrote:ambrosia drunk is one of my alltime favorite nathan songs...
ever heard his original version?
I've got the version on the first SMMD disc.

Which disc is his original on?
magpie

Which disc is his original on?
well well, i'm inclined to say that i don't think it's on any "album"... (chuckles at self). it's not on any of nathan's solo albums that i have (and i'm reasonably certain i have all the"released" ones), and yet i have a very distinct memory of a beautiful older acoustic version that would make your heart cry... i hear it in my mind as if he were here singing here next to me. i coulda swore it was on one of those solo albums, but damn. it just isn't there! it must be on some live recording i have or something, maybe from a track he had on frogville awhile back. i know it was in my itunes at some point... but darned if i can find it now. ever had one of those frantic moments when you're trying to find something that you KNOW you have but, no luck. yeah, that's where i'm at. *sigh*

so, i'll just say that if you enjoy ambrosia drunk, you've gotta check out nathan's solo albums. so many incredible songs, and yes, so many that are That Good.

pardon the tangential interruption,
(we now return to our regularly scheduled program...)
<i>become...

are</i>
hoby

magpie wrote: ever had one of those frantic moments when you're trying to find something that you KNOW you have but, no luck. yeah, that's where i'm at. *sigh*
Don't feel bad. I go through that every day with my shoes. :roll:
so, i'll just say that if you enjoy ambrosia drunk, you've gotta check out nathan's solo albums. so many incredible songs, and yes, so many that are That Good.
I've got "Single Wide" and "Cans-n-Cants." Last time I checked, his other discs were only available in the big boxed set, and I don't have $80 to spend on recordings right now. I wish I could, but...

So, where is that version from? The "thunder" reminds me of Sam's production/mix of Pictures of Callisto that he did for a class project at Berklee.

hoby
etahn
From the Gecko

could've sworn it was on sad songs, but no luck.

I remember BAM did it at the Knitting Factory the day after Christmas one year....
The world really is magic
hoby

harrymcq wrote:I don't think Bill's ever heard Nathan, I should give him a SMMD CD next time I see him.
I would LOVE to know what he thinks of Andrew.
magpie

ahhhh...
thanks for that link harry,
i'm not sure that's the version i used to have (actually, i'm pretty certain it's not), but it sure is sweet...
<i>become...

are</i>
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

I don't know, there is something about that particular 'Ambrosia Drunk' from The Slip that I really LOVE. I do however LOVE that original Nathan version as well, thank you for putting that link up, that would be great if Percy would put it up on his page. Just a beautiful, touching, haunting song it is.

I really love what BAM is doing now, and I do listen to recent shows but I must admit, I think I listen to older shows more because I like more percussion (remember Androo's goat nails, shells, rocks and bells?) and what happened to Brad's sitar-guitar? More variety and natural movement in the songs and setlists, but I know this is what it is now....much more structured, which is good for what they are doing now. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy for them and their up and up ;}

I wonder if those days are gone forever though? I understand it takes alot more time and energy to have all those instruments with them, I just hope they will bust out with an old school tour once they get settled into their new lifestyle....let's say next year? Yeah, I wish...lol
putty
From the Gecko

they've been changing their entire career. no reason to think they would stop now.