THE SLIP ON GREYS ANATOMY

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

chlo-ism

another bunch of thoughts

ok, not that i am one anymore, nor was i truly one when i was one as i was reading poe and dickens dressed in all black and rolling my eyes at EVERYTHING all the time at the time, but...

mothwing bite would be THE end-all-be-all song off eisenhower were i a fourteen to sixteen year old girl (which, as far as many "professionals" in marketing/advertising/product placement have proclaimed, is a HUGE demographic as far as disposible income and spending habits...) as a corollary there is the twin demographic of the fourteen to sixteen year old dudes who want to be into the stuff the girls are into so they have something to talk about so maybe they won't have to be talking so much... nudge nudge wink wink....

now, if you ask my itunes playcount, yeah, mothwing bite's not the top track i've exposed my ears to, but i can see who would like it, and dudes, just think how musically advanced all those folks who are drawn in by the hook of mothwing bite will be once they let it go into the whole paper birds epic.... also, strangely enough, my father and a lot of his friends love this track, so.... beauty is in the ear of the belistener i suppose.... and yeah, that fuzz makes me miss driving and yearn to put my bike back in the shed, but hey, it revs up the soul for sure.

besides, i have a strange feeling the next cd (yes i went there already) is going to be more chock full o'singles anyhow....
Luke
Yaki Soba

I'm still processing all this. The implications of television music placement for online music sales in a post-convergence world is sort of stupefying. Say what you want about the breakdown of the traditional advertising model. It's pretty odd to see them next to Sweet Child of Mine (which doesn't Brad whistle or riff in the middle of a newer song from time to time?) and the Righteous Brothers is admittedly odd.

More than anything I'm just happy for Brad, Marc and Andrew.
Phrazz

my mothwing was bitten the other day...

You might think this is a poppy love song, but it is! At least at a surface glance:
Brad sang and wrote:you don't see me 'til the song is blown
your blue bow simple as the snow
like confetti how steady you bloom
but those girls and trouble makes you
feel like it's OK ;)
Not to mention the mood of the music itself. It's happy...sunny...like driving down the road and whistling or singing way too loudly. Yummy like cotton candy...pink or green...whatever matches your wardrobe. :)

The age demographics for a pop song do fit, but I like this tune on its own merit and see it as a "hit single" as much as Dec Kids (as a B side) or with a bunch of singles in an EP format (mini cd or *hint* *hint* mixed media). It is definitely not the ROCK ANTHEM of CoD or Rats (skater punks national anthem).

I've seen other bands' songs that are poppy "classics" that kids and adults (especially one or two generations ahead) alike. Like the Eagles vs Joe Walsh (James Gang!). There is a wide variety of music there and these we can see in various slots in the stores. We have to categorize when we go CD shopping. Do you start with "Indie", "Alternative" or go right to "Blues"? We don't want to think this way, but plastic fantastic checkout at Tower (oops, belly up) forces us to a certain bin. You do the same in the grocery store and don't take it as personally when you are going from produce to the cereal aisle (at least I don't, it's just food). People take music much more seriously than food (from an identity perspective), so we also do for the aspect of labelling and demographics (from a shopping perspective at least, but this becomes an identity perspective for many).

Now Life in Disguise kicks some ass in my book, and when I saw the video snippet from Gray's Anatomy, I was pretty blown away by how closely the show plot fit the song. Definitely planned that way (or they got extremely lucky, which I doubt). It's more like the song fits the show, but that's another thing altogether and I don't watch enough TV to know which is the case. The poetry here is among their best of all. The more you read the more you see the inner reflection and self doubts that we all go through, and so powerful an autobiography.

Ok, so what is a mothwing bite? This one is easy.

P.S.: My apologies if any attribution is inaccurate (will edit).
Last edited by Phrazz on Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

its when you take a bite out of bread but.... your teeth are shaped like mothwings

haha

umm phrazz i think that is one interpretation but i think the tune certainly reflects some darker imagery. i think there are some not so subtle drug references in there too. what do yall think?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Katie
Invocation

Thanks for the link Cleantone, I hadn't seen it yet. I keep thinking of the night at E O'Dwyers in Saratoga when the BAM kept working on it before the show, going over the vocal harmonies and how they were going to play it live that night. I never would've imagined then that so many other people would hear it on a popular TV show. Amazing. It really was a great use of the song.
MATT
Get Me with Fuji

i think it was in Relix that someone mentioned how the opening lyrics of this song are somewhat indicative of how it feels to be a musician that is trying to make it. that really put a spin on the opening of the tune, and i guess it just makes me feel good to see the slip making it. and making it with a tune that is about trying to make it is the icing on the cake. then again even rats has helped a ton. good work jason booth.