the beatles- "love"

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

putty
From the Gecko

i acknowledge that it could be true. but like i said, don't let a lie get in the way of a good story.

lennon also said paul died at one point didn't he, as kind of a prank on the public?

well, why not run with this "dylan got us high" story?
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

putty wrote:the manager comment was a bad joke.
Sorry. In the absence of a smiley of some sort I made the wrong assumption.
i was just saying that it's ridiculous to give Dylan the credit for making the Beatles who they are, just because he rolled them a joint, which led to LSD and Lucy In the Sky.
But I really don't think that's what people are saying. At least, I hope not. That's WAAAY too simplistic an explanation.
I mean, these guys weren't exactly choir boys before they met Dylan.
:lol: :lol: You don't know how right you are. I never thought they were saints (that whole cute mop-top thing), but reading that Spitz bio certainly opened my eyes.

hoby
hoby

putty wrote:lennon also said paul died at one point didn't he, as kind of a prank on the public?
Not at all. The band didn't generate that story. Some DJ did. They may have had some fun with it later on ("The Walrus was Paul") but they didn't start that. It was just another symptom of Beatlemania starting to get more twisted.

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

go back and read that wikipedia excerpt. not that wikipedia is a credible source, but that, along with headnugg's comments, is where i got that people are giving dylan credit for that transformation.
headnugg
Invocation

putty wrote:that is not common knowledge. if it was, you could provide a link.
What did you do before the age of the internet? Frankly, this is common knowledge to anyone that knows anything about Pop culture and/or music.....perhaps you should study up a little bit.....or maybe you're just too young to know what I'm talking about......And this was well known long before that book that Hoby is talking about came around......

Study up young'n

And when I say common knowledge I'm talking about something that people just know, whether from hearing it around, from reading about it or whatever......example: It's common knowledge that Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a basketball game once. There's no need to provide a link as this is not a disputed fact. Neither is the fact that Dylan introduced the Beatles to weed man.

but back to the Beatles real quick.....I just want to re-iterate that I know how talented these guys are, they put out some great records and will never be forgotten ever, blah, blah......I was just merely saying I'm sick of the Beatles and all of their "new" releases, etc. etc......BORING.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
putty
From the Gecko

i don't know why you think you know how old i am. but i'm a HUGE dylan fan, and i'd never heard read anything about that meeting. i guess some things just don't get absorbed or picked up for some reason.

first of all, you came off sounding like dylan is the reason for the beatle's experimentation in the studio. that's just wrong.

but as far as the posthumous releases, they'll keep happening, because people will keep buying them. and that's just the way things work 'round here.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

according to the article below, the beatles were turnt on on my birthday.
By now an unofficial attache for Dylan, Al stepped in and introduced him to the Liverpool mop tops. Exactly a year later the Beatles released "Help!" The album and the movie soon got their fans wondering: "Are these guys stoned?" Al Aronowitz knew the truth. He had personally turned them on at the Hotel Delmonico on Manhattan's Park Avenue on August 28th 1964.
http://www.counterpunch.org/guthrie04242004.html
headnugg
Invocation

putty wrote:i don't know why you think you know how old i am. but i'm a HUGE dylan fan, and i'd never heard read anything about that meeting. i guess some things just don't get absorbed or picked up for some reason.

first of all, you came off sounding like dylan is the reason for the beatle's experimentation in the studio. that's just wrong.

but as far as the posthumous releases, they'll keep happening, because people will keep buying them. and that's just the way things work 'round here.
Just assuming you're of the younger generation and that is just confirmed by the fact that such a HUGE Dylan fan didn't have knowledge of that legendary meeting......Lemme recommend a book that every Dylan fan should read:

No Direction Home - Robert Shelton

Incidentally, and I'm sure you know this as a HUGE Dylan fan, Shelton helped to launch Bob's career with his 1961 review of the then 20 year old singers show at Gerde's Folk City in NYC. Shelton's positive review brought young Bob a lot of good publicity and some would say led to his being signed by Columbia.....

and I don't feel like combing thru my posts, but I think what I said is the Beatles never woulda been the Beatles we all know and love(the STONED Beatles) if it wasn't for Bobby D. Yes, those 4 would've discovered drugs sooner or later, but thankfully Bobby was there early on.....
Sniff

thankfully Bobby was there early on
Nugg -- all of a sudden you're "thankful" that the beatles got turned on earlier than later?

I thought you said, "fuck the beatles"!??

How bout this: quit yer cryin and instead, any time you hear a Beatles' tune, listen to the amazing vocal harmonies (not to mention tricky melodies), impeccably precise arrangements, and exceptionally original guitar leads. Then consider the Beatles' incredibly diverse and successful body of work.

Have a good weekend!
headnugg
Invocation

Sniff wrote:
thankfully Bobby was there early on
Nugg -- all of a sudden you're "thankful" that the beatles got turned on earlier than later?

I thought you said, "fuck the beatles"!??

How bout this: quit yer cryin and instead, any time you hear a Beatles' tune, listen to the amazing vocal harmonies (not to mention tricky melodies), impeccably precise arrangements, and exceptionally original guitar leads. Then consider the Beatles' incredibly diverse and successful body of work.

Have a good weekend!
I thought I just clarified how I felt.....there's no cryin here big guy, just opinions being presented, shared and discussed......and if you want to come in here and criticize, GUEST, you could at least join our little community......

and yes

FUCK THE BEATLES
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

If it really comes to givin' credit, I'd say Dr. Robert is the man... or at least a dentist who was a social acquaintence. Can't remember which one, maybe Peter Brown's book, I read so many but it was at least 5+ years ago

My absoulte favorite beatles book is Mark Lewisohn the complete recording sessions. A real window into an amazingly revolutionary environment... And some fun stories - like the Helter Skelter recording session where george was filling the ashtrays with lighter fluid and torching them while running around screaming. (all for background sounds and general ambiance). I might have some specifics wrong about that story but the meat of it is in there - check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Beatles- ... 165605205/
putty
From the Gecko

that's funny. i was just listening to Dr. Robert, and started picturing them writing that song about Dylan, but assumed it was about someone else.
hoby

harrymcq wrote:If it really comes to givin' credit, I'd say Dr. Robert is the man
As I've said before, there were a lot of factors that went into THE BEATLES, but for me no one outside of the four musicians deserves more credit than Mssrs. Martin and Emerick.
harrymcq wrote:My absoulte favorite beatles book is Mark Lewisohn the complete recording sessions.
I am always astonished every time I realize that I still haven't read that.

The book I'm terrified of wanting too much is:

http://www.recordingthebeatles.com

Here's the book I'm getting as a gift later this month. For me, it's the holy grail:

http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Dead-Gea ... F8&s=books

Now, don't even THINK about trying to tell me that drugs had something to do with the Grateful Dead's music. :wink:
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

has anyone heard the dvd audio version of this? im probably picking this up tonight, and im rather excited.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

giles martin talks about the recording process on NPR

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/archives/beatleslove/
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH