the beatles- "love"

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

tim
The Weight of Solomon

the beatles- "love"

has anyone else checked this out? at first i was a little suspicious due to the nature of the project and it's relation cirque de soleil's vegas act. but, after reading many good reviews from online rags and message boards alike, i had to check it out. i gotta say i am really impressed, it made for a very fun listen. it's no reinvention of the wheel, but they did hook it up with some phat rims so to speak.

I agree -- a really cool listen. I read that Paul McCartney said he wished they'd taken it further "out there." I kind of agree, since a lot of the tweaks are very subtle, but it's still a great "mash-up"!
tyler
From the Gecko

i've only heard the one that mixes Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite and I Want You (She's So Heavy) with a little piece of Helter Skelter. It's pretty cool. when I first heard it though, my roommate was tripping on shrooms and I think it was a little too much for him to handle, he looked pretty weirded out. but sober it sounds great.
chloe
Lion on a Rock

holy synchronicity batman....

just finished loading it onto my itunes...

i'll give it the thumbs up... both of them...

and to quote the liner notes to give you a very accurate idea of what these 26 songs entail... "Everything they had done was recorded live, without a click and often all on one track, so the best approach was to recreate a performance that had only happened in the studio but present it to an audience as though it were live." -Giles Martin (co-producer and pro tools programmer and sequencer)

also... "...to create a soundscape of around one and a half hour's length using any sound i needed from the original Beatles multi-track recordings." -George Martin (the other co-producer and Giles' dad)

oh, and where credit is due -the two Giles' also were responsible for string arrangements and recordings that went into "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and are apparently the only non-Beatle generated sounds...

it's like catching up with an old friend... proves the point that there's always another way to take another look at things...

and it sounds freakin good....
headnugg
Invocation

Fuck the beatles

I'm so sick of the Beatles. The Beatles this, the Beatles that. They've released more albums as dead people than when they were alive. They havne't been a band for 40 years, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BEATLES.
I wonder if we're ever going to stop talking about them. In 100 years are people still going to be comparing everything to the Beatles? I sure hope not......

end rant
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

believe me, i like ranting just as much as the next guy, probably more, but this is probably the dumbest one youve ever done. i havent heard this album yet nor am i a huge fan of these 4 (id rather hear the stones), but i recognize what they did and their impact on pop culture and music. theyre going to be around forever.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

diesel wrote:believe me, i like ranting just as much as the next guy, probably more, but this is probably the dumbest one youve ever done. i havent heard this album yet nor am i a huge fan of these 4 (id rather hear the stones), but i recognize what they did and their impact on pop culture and music. theyre going to be around forever.
So what, they're the beatles. Yay. Enough already. They're fucking boring.
The White Album is good. Yah yah, they'll be around forever.......are we going to get new beatles albums every year for the next 100 years? They've already packaged their greatest hits 20 different times, when is enough enough? Now they're doing some shitty cirque du soleil thing and "Love" is the soundtrack? Gimme a break. Talk about cheapening the legend and reducing the beatles to nothing.....
tyler
From the Gecko

A South African gold miner loses his right leg in a mining accident.

"Dammit," he says, "who has any use for a one-legged gold digger?"

"Me!" shouts Paul McCartney.

for serious though. half of them are dead so you can't blame the band (well maybe Paul) for all the exploitation of their image. that's the modern music industry for you. just throw on Sgt. Pepper's or Revolver and Abbey Road in their original form (vinyl preferably) and you'll forget about all the cheap shit and just realize that they made some damn good music.
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

Dead men tell no tales

New albums from dead people irrate the piss out of me and weird me out too. Johnny Cash hasn't been dead a year and already has 2 posthumus releases, WTF.
I propose that all profit from new albums by died musician go to living musician who need to eat.
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

blame michael jackson.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

I blame it on W
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Biting my tongue.
Biting my tongue.
Biting my tongue.
Biting my tongue.

Oh, fuck it....
headnugg wrote:Fuck the beatles
I'm so sick of the Beatles. The Beatles this, the Beatles that. They've released more albums as dead people than when they were alive.
So have Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. Should we fuck them too? :wink:
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BEATLES.
Yes you do. Look at all this energy you're putting into them.
In 100 years are people still going to be comparing everything to the Beatles?
I'm not sure people are doing that now.

hoby
GeMeNeYe
Get Me with Fuji

I used to not care about the Beatles. I thought they had some catchy tunes, but were kinda lame. "What's the big deal?" I wondered.

Then I actually listened to their records, as albums -- I'm talking about Revolver, Let it Be, Abbey Road, The White Album, and Sgt Peppers. I've been converted and I'll never be the same.

People can talk all they want about how amazing they were (and still are) and all I'll do is just nod my head -- and then shake my head-- you know, in wonder and awe.

I now feel like I must have been crazy to be so ignorant about their music in the past. I think part of my problem was that I kind of enjoyed--and took a certain pride in--being into bands/music outside the popular or mainstream. I eventually learned, with the Beatles' help (no pun intended), that that's a bunch of bullshit. It's about music. Image matters, but it's all about the music when you get right down to it. A song is a song and there are a lot of good ones out there.

Just open your ears.

Postscript: I'm still not over it -- I still occasionally hear a song that I like, but I wish I didn't. I don't tell anyone about those (except my wife and a few close friends who won't judge me or draw hasty conclusions about my tastes). I just quietly enjoy them.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I just out of it?
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

the mainstream term is Guilty Pleasures
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Mystery Tour, White Album, Let it Be, Abbey Road.

Rock/Pop at its peak to me. There are lots of bands I love and lots of styles of music but come on....