Elvis Perkins

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

Elvis Perkins

hey guys,

i just wanted to tell you about Elvis Perkins. he's a friend and coincidentally, he just got a 2-week opening slot for My Morning Jacket in march. i think you'll like the music. he has a very interesting and sad background.

http://elvisperkins.net/
Last edited by rhythmicstorm on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
Phrazz

Groovy baby!

Thanks for the add! :)

-Phrazz
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

ah god. i just got through listening to his album, ash wednesday, yesterday. it is really really incredibly. start to finish. i'm not sure if it's available right now because he just signed to a label. but some of his songs are on myspace. here's a few more links.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles ... _building/

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6377406
An Insomniac's Tender Midnight Ruminations

* 'While You Were Sleeping' by Elvis Perkins

Elvis Perkins recounts the midnight ruminations of an insomniac.

Wednesday's Pick

* Song: "While You Were Sleeping"
* Artist: Elvis Perkins
* CD: Ash Wednesday
* Genre: Folk-Pop

NPR.org, October 25, 2006 · Elvis Perkins can't be accused of bowing down to folk-music cliches: His masterful songs are graceful and tender but never whiny or obvious, while Dylan, Cohen and both Buckleys linger as only slight influences. Bolstered by a talented supporting cast -- when together, they perform as "Elvis Perkins in Dearland" -- his classic folk sound benefits immeasurably from artful, colorful instrumentation. Perkins' new, self-released Ash Wednesday is fleshed out with harmonium, upright bass, marching-band drums and soaring strings.

In "While You Were Sleeping," Perkins recounts the midnight ruminations of an insomniac. The song takes a poetic, meandering stroll through the tangled gardens of nostalgia, as Perkins croons to his sleeping companion, "Did you have that strangest dream before you woke? / 'Cause in your gown, you had the butterfly stroke / Did it escape you like some half-told joke / when you reached for your plume of smoke?" As night turns to daybreak, the instrumentation becomes lush, culminating in sweetly echoing voices and triumphant horns.

The folksinger has an intriguing backstory: His father was actor Anthony Perkins, his mother the photographer Berry Berenson; the former died of complications from AIDS when Elvis Perkins was a teenager, while the latter was a victim of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. These circumstances likely contributed to the undercurrent of sadness in Perkins' music, but they don't mute his songs' welcome and encouraging streak of hope and acceptance.
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!