The SLiP - EISENHOWER IS FINALLY HERE!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

mjm wrote:Why do you think the Eisenhower vicuna scandal reference is trite? I usually don't like overt political references in music but I think this one is pretty smart. It references a point in history that has a lot of parallels to what's going on now without expressing an opinion about it. And The Slip have always had an old meets new thread throughout their music. I think it's a lot more interesting than picking a phrase or title from a song on the album.
well said. yeah im still hoping that it involves politics and not a drum.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cherie

CLUES and MISCUE's
The drum in question was not in existence until after the new album was named, and bears no entity or influence in the album title.
As for IKE he is famous for many things, some of which have been mentioned but others????
Also IKE is not the only figure to bear the name Eisenhower.
Cherie
chloe
Lion on a Rock

and i apologize for ruining anyone's theories... but it's a gazelle (at least a reputable source said it was)... you know, gazelles, elephants, zebras, old wise trees, airplanes, all those sorts of things that go naturally together.

for the record (or the cd for that matter) i want to add my name to the list of folks who have nothing but love for dear old ike. i expect a lot from any music the SLIP makes, and this one, wow, yeah... yeah...
mjm
Yaki Soba

We're probably way overthinking it. In the end it's the music that counts and if it gets people talking about the album great. Anyway, political/historical references aside. I like the small furry animal / powerful sounding name juxtaposition.
Jonah wrote:oh and that's a great quote by Marc Ribot. he's a pretty nasty guitarist too.
Thanks. Here's the aritcle it's from: http://www.tomajazz.com/perfiles/ribot_marc_eng.htm
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
joexc1315
Tenfold

I love the part of the Huffington review where they say that Life in Disguise is what Oasis would sound like if they didn't suck. I was listening to the song as I read it. So true.
Received my preordered copy in the mail on monday, so this album name debate is becoming a little meaningless to me. Wasn't Ike known for being lazy when in fact he was actually getting a lot done. The Slip haven't produced a studio album in a while, but they've been getting a lot done on the road, etc. That's such a stretch, I know. Maybe BAM will post and solve the mystery for all of us.
As for the album, it has been great so far, much better than expected. I've never heard Brad's voice sound so good, and I really dig the piano on If One of us Should Fall.
I also ordered Only in Montreal. On the album cover it says 'five tracks from the forthcoming album', but none of these songs are on Eisenhower. Is there another album planned soon?
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

only in montreal is from surprise me mr davis; their side project with nathen moore. theyre supposed to have an album out soon, but who knows when it will come out.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

vote for IKE on NPR's best of 06!

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/surveys/bestof06
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Done!
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

bump for those that didnt vote yet. voting ends today!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6557143
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH