The SLiP - EISENHOWER IS FINALLY HERE!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

SamNo.2

What's going on here my dear Phrazzopolis, is that our little band is BLOWING THE FUCK UP!!!

Whoooooo-ahhhhhhhhhhh!
joexc1315
Tenfold

Just preordered my copy of Eisenhower. I hope it gets here in time for election day. Otherwise it's gonna be a lonely day in massachusetts voting for Grace Ross.
Lucky Stars

Like Ike

I got my copy at Helsinki. Also they were available at Narrows.

I have to say this album will change your world (especially what you think is "Slip Music"). The new songs are also amazing and the production quality blows away everything that came before. This is now my favorite studio album (but I had to listen to it a dozen times to make a fair decision). I can't say just yet what is my favorite song -- with more listening I might try to pick my top 3, but this isn't easy as it would be on previous CDs. The songs are well-balanced and cohesive -- even though the song genres vary dramatically, there is a sonic thread that runs throughout and I bet much of this is Matthew Ellard's magicianship.

During a couple of the songs I wasn't sure who was singing. The flawless vocal overlays merge many voices into one. The musicianship shreds without hurting your brain (it will tingle your spine, however). On this album moreso than the others, BAM are completely reborn. I would say this is the definitely The Slip v.2.0. The previous (extended) transition phase was just a series of beta releases.

Another bonus is all the lyrics in a cool trifold with inner liner notes that open up as one long page (suitable for hanging). Lots of words...many more than you'd think by listening (since they flow so effortlessly). I can see how this would delay the printing...it is not typical for today's usual studio CD. Silkscreen on the CD itself is also top-notch and they have a cool handmade font that resembles painted letters on the liner, CD and case. Primo production value will guarantee a thwarting of the usual cheapskate predators scouring the net for bootlegs. (And fie on you for even thinking of such things!!! )

Also, lots of artistic whitespace in all parts make for plenty of autograph room. (Please don't tell anyone I said that, though, but bring a sharpie to the next show.)

Too bad if you have to wait for this, but it's worth it. Did you get to either of the Mass shows? That's why I didn't preorder.

-Lucky Stars
SamNo.2

Yay! Preorders ship today!

Yippie Yippie Yippie Yippie Yippie Yippie.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

that was a wonderful review -spot on

wasn't gecko released on their own label and Does was released on like flying frogs or something....

what ever its still fantastic
-dan
SamNo.2

Yeah - I think you're right. Hopefully that's the only mistake I made..<ducking>

By the way, I will say that Mothwing Bite has some nasty ass potential......I hope the pr dept. is listening.........
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

THE SLIP ARE MySPACE.COM FEATURED ARTISTS FOR THE WEEK!

-can you cay publicity!!!
tyler
From the Gecko

well, i don't know what to make of that.
Jonah
Tenfold

does anyone really have idea why the band decided on Eisenhower and not a different name? I know there's been all sorts of speculation on this message board but has anyone heard anything from the band or anywhere? i mean i can't imagine the conversation that took place when they were deciding on the name. somebody says "hey what about Eisenhower?" and then rest just say "right on, that's it!". what about "No way man, are you kidding?" So the consensus is that it's either some trite political commentary that most people who buy the record won't even bother looking into or it was named for Andrew's drum?? having followed the slip for 5 or 6 years now neither of those options seems much like something they would do.
mjm
Yaki Soba

Why do you think the Eisenhower vicuna scandal reference is trite? I usually don't like overt political references in music but I think this one is pretty smart. It references a point in history that has a lot of parallels to what's going on now without expressing an opinion about it. And The Slip have always had an old meets new thread throughout their music. I think it's a lot more interesting than picking a phrase or title from a song on the album.
"It’s not like rock and roll was invented by the people who play it right. Rock and roll was invented by lunatics. It belongs at the end of the day to lunatics. It doesn’t belong to people to prove their muscularity." - <i>Marc Ribot</i>
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i think because someone who was there when the album title was chosen already said that it was a coincidence. Neat but not the reason...
Jonah
Tenfold

yeah maybe trite isn't the best word. i think calling your album the last name of a former president is a little questionable. i mean the word eisenhower has a nice ring to it so it's not as bad as calling it hoover or taft or something. but the slip is a fabulously creative band. they could have come up with something that 1) isn't as overtly political and 2) isn't the source of this type of debate or inquiry like what we're doing here. i mean "angels come on time" isn't the best title even invented by man but it's cool, we each relate to it in a different way, and it doesn't have any blatant references that can be easily taken out of context. if the vicuna story is true then that's interesting but it doesn't save this title. how many people who buy this album are really gonna get anything out of this title?

i could be seeing this all wrong. so if anyone really has any idea what inspired the title that'd be cool.
Jonah
Tenfold

oh and that's a great quote by Marc Ribot. he's a pretty nasty guitarist too.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Sorry to be coming in late here, but I can't resist.
Jonah wrote:yeah maybe trite isn't the best word.
I'd have to agree.

"Trite: "lacking in freshness or effectiveness because of constant use or excessive repitition." - Random House Dictionary

It doesn''t make much sense to pass judgement on someone's political commentary when you don't even know what it is. Or if it is.
but the slip is a fabulously creative band. they could have come up with something that 1) isn't as overtly political and 2) isn't the source of this type of debate or inquiry like what we're doing here.
1) We don't know that this title is overtly political. Some of us have pointed out some possible political references, some of which have already been refuted. As you yourself point out, many people won't even get the supposed political reference. Not very overt. "Let's Impeach the President." Now THAT'S overt.

2) Somehow, I have to say that this debate is our problem, not the Slip's. But, hell, what else do we have to do until the 7th?
i mean "angels come on time" isn't the best title even invented by man but it's cool, we each relate to it in a different way, and it doesn't have any blatant references that can be easily taken out of context.
Sure it does. "OMG!! They're talking about angels having sex?!?! Let's burn all their CDs!!!" :twisted: :D
if the vicuna story is true then that's interesting but it doesn't save this title. how many people who buy this album are really gonna get anything out of this title?
Person walks into store. They're scanning new releases. They heard a great tune by some band they don't know but they remember that the DJ said it was a president's name. The helpful clerk (last of a dying breed) says "Oh we just got a disc in called "Eisenhower."

Or they do an online search for a list of presidents and "Eisenhower" rings a bell. It's off to their fave online vendor for a quick purchase. Now, not only are they purchasing Slip misuc, they've also learned a little something! I'd say that person got something out of the title. It's memorable. It might allow more people to find the disc.

I agree with you. The Slip are a fabulously creative band. They also ask of their audience that we work a little to find the treasures in what they do. So...
i could be seeing this all wrong.
Even if you are, that's okay. We may someday get the story. Or not. But in 2 days it won't be so important because everyone will be too busy listening to worry about dead presidents and their pet vicunas. Or something like that.

Hope I didn't come off as too contrary. I'm just having fun and passing the time.

peace,

hoby