guitar amps

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

bitchtits
Alsoa

guitar amps

im looking to get an upgrade in the guitar amp dept. just lookin for any good suggestions
Dan (at work)

I would always suggest something tube driven to start off.

I own a crate V series amp, it has i think around 12 built in FX's for rever, echo, chorus... that stuff

the fender twin reverbs are one of the most outstanding amps, also the tweed covered "bassman" i think they are not 100% sure but they are pretty kickin

EnJoY

-dAN
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

dr z

my brother uses a dr. z amp. i hear theyre great. all natural tone of the guitar. no extra noise like you get from fenders and most other amps.

http://www.drzamps.com/
Caleb
Get Me with Fuji

ive got a fender hot rod deluxe its an amp that totally rocks. Its very bluesy and has a drive and over drive channel. Ive always enjoyed the Super Chorus too. I would probably pick it over the Hot Rod, just because im into that chorusy full, tripped out sound. All my shredder friends have Marshals. Big Stacks they play Jacksons through. I know nothing of Line 6. Definately go tube and make sure you wail on it in the store. Play it cranked up - like to 11 on everything. Play it as quiet as you can get. Sit there with the amp on normal and listen for that hum. You want little to no hum. Bring in your guitar and your cable. If the store guy wont let you; tell him to Fuck off and go somewhere else. Definately tube. Definately Brand name. And just make sure that you really check something out before you buy, cuz they can get expensive and if you buy right, it will last for life.

PS. When it comes to built in effects amps, like more than one like dan here is talking about the only thing in know is that my old guitar teacher told me that I should buy my pieces one at a time. You like reverb get a reverb amp. Then if you want some chorus get that sick boss chorus pedal. You what some drive pickup a vintage drive pedal. But wouldnt you rather have one piwcw of equipment that can do one thing awsome instead of a bunch of effects done just ok?
My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable
Phrazz

geetar amps

So what's your style and budget? That'll help with some recommendations. I have a Fender Super, and the Twins are always nice...but a bit pricey and certainly not so portable (mine must weigh 60 pounds it seems). The Boogie heads are really nice...I think Brad's using one with a Marshall cab, but these vary (what happened to his Polytone, BTW?).

The Crates are nice for less bucks and there are plenty in the high-end department. I find the Fenders are a good match for the Strats, but Boogies sound better with Gibson (although this might be purely psychological).

You have to go with tubes of course...no guitarist except Zappa really made much of a living off solid-state (maybe a select few others).

Do you play out, or just jamming at home? Do you need portability, or are you looking for killer feedback?

Alright...that'll get things moving along.

-Phrazz

P.S.: That "Dr. Z" looks pretty cool. If it's good enough for Sir Joe Walsh, it's good enough for me!
Every picture tells a story.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

what happened to the vulgar posts Bitchtits and I shared? Can friends not bullshit amongst eachother :lol:
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
bitchtits
Alsoa

yea whats up with that gaboni
bitchtits
Alsoa

im tryin to play out but its just my sound and tone im worried about right now i really need to get a bigger amp i got this crappy ass practice like amp one 12" speaker...i want major feedback when i want it and i want control and soft thick notes as well i know its gotta be a tube amp and i was looking at fender twin reverbs but i also wanted to see if there was something else out there i should check out first