Built To Spill

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

pete
Get Me with Fuji

Built To Spill

I'm going to see Built to Spill tomorrow night, and I'm pretty excited. The only recording I've heard of theirs is their newest (You in Reverse), which I fell in love with upon first listen. What kind of show do these guys put on? Should I expect to be blown away, or just to be moderately entertained?

-Pete
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan

blown the f away
tyler
From the Gecko

Keep It Like A Secret and There's Nothing Wrong With Love are classics. I'm going to see them Sunday, should be killer.
francis
From the Gecko

i'm going to that show too. i'm prepared to be blown away.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
putty
From the Gecko

they play for about an hour and a half. great rockin show. the new cd makes it okay to be a jamband fan. very wanky, but good.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

keep it like a secret....
one of the best albums of all time

'nough said
tyler
From the Gecko

i posted in other forum but i'll say it again here, last night in Burlington was one of the finer shows I've ever seen, even if Doug Martsch spent as much time mucking with the projector as he did playing guitar (his efforts to do both at the same time were admirable though). also i was very disappointed that they ran out of free posters before i got one. :(
pete
Get Me with Fuji

I hate to say it, but I was completely under-whelmed seeing them at Mr. Small’s Theatre. With three guitars and Doug’s voice all pretty much in the same frequency range and the sound system cranked up too far it was damn near impossible to distinguish one sound from another. Not to mention that after suffering through two terrible opening bands I was not in the mood to listen to Doug’s political messages. My friends and I ended up leaving before the show ended (We went down the street to the Double L bar and sang Karaoke after BTS’s the sixth or seventh song.)

I think I’d enjoy them more in a different venue. Smalls is a great little place, but some bands just sound terrible there.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
sm
Beantown Rocker

was one of the opening bands called Hell Vetica, or some shit like that?

3 piece.. the 'main guy' (oolie) played the fret board of a flying V and some keys while trying to sing?

i think they were the worst band i ever saw.
tyler
From the Gecko

sm wrote:was one of the opening bands called Hell Vetica, or some shit like that?

3 piece.. the 'main guy' (oolie) played the fret board of a flying V and some keys while trying to sing?

Helveta? isn't that a cheese? anyway yeah, that wasn't so good. but the band before them, some local Burlington band, was worse. one of those 80s post-punk ripoff bands (interpol, etc.) that knows one sound and one sound only and is thus incredibly boring.
francis
From the Gecko

sm wrote:was one of the opening bands called Hell Vetica, or some shit like that?

yea, they definitly were one of the bands.

personally, i enjoyed BTS's set. it was kind of loud, and that political message i could have lived with out (extremists calling other extremists) but overall, it was good. setlist involved mostly older tunes.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!