I need YOUR help

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

francis
From the Gecko

i just figured he wanted to get a listen on some tunes so he's not "out of the loop." he sure can't book 6/8 of the bands i named last. well texas is the reason is doing a reunion show/tour. not sure which.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
headnugg
Invocation

I do work at a booking agency, but I'm in the learning stage right now, not doing any booking yet......soon I hope.....

But yah, I'm just doing homework here. Indie rock is the "genre" of music I am severely lacking in and I want to catch up so I can be on top of my game.

This has been really great, I'm checking out t alot of these bands on Myspace, and I'm requesting a lot of these CD's from my local library. That's the one great thing about living in the rich white suburb of Newton - the amazing free library we have here. I can literally search for almost any new release and it's somewhere in the network, then I can just request it and a week later it's in my possession.

I recently oinked the new Ray Lamontagne......I'm slightly disapointed thus far, but I hope after a few listens it grows on me......
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
headnugg
Invocation

has anyone ever noticed that half of these bands are from Brooklyn?

I wonder wasup w/that? I mean I know BK is artsy, but that's a weird coincidence. I'm referring(so far) to the bands on Dan's first post and Tim's first post.

Get to know your indie roots, these bands and their subgenres first - the cure / the sea and cake / built to spill / modest mouse/ death cab / velvet underground / sonic youth / new york dolls / the smiths / david fucking bowie....etc.....

BSS members have some great side project bands - Stars and Metric.
tegan and sarah
the sounds
interpol
scissor sisters
the knife
sigur ross
the weakerthans
the rapture
massive attack
tortoise
daft punk
the virgins
we are scientists
voxtrot
dirty pretty things
yeah yeah yeahs

..to name a few.
ohmyrockness.com
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

Anonymous wrote:Get to know your indie roots, these bands and their subgenres first - the cure / the sea and cake / built to spill / modest mouse/ death cab / velvet underground / sonic youth / new york dolls / the smiths / david fucking bowie....etc.....

BSS members have some great side project bands - Stars and Metric.
tegan and sarah
the sounds
interpol
scissor sisters
the knife
sigur ross
the weakerthans
the rapture
massive attack
tortoise
daft punk
the virgins
we are scientists
voxtrot
dirty pretty things
yeah yeah yeahs

..to name a few.
ohmyrockness.com
-that was me-

hope it helps, headnugg. i live in new york and brooklyns where its at right now - clap your hands say yeah exploded out of there in only about a year. its artsy and cheap, lots of artists/musicians lofts. and you ever heard of that band from brooklyn the benevento-russo duo? :P
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
headnugg
Invocation

Heard of the DUO, they're OK. I liked them better 4 years ago. What else is new.

I randomly checked out We Are Scientists yesterday and I though they sounded great. A friend of my bros. from HS was their soundguy on their most recent world tour. He also does sound at the knit. Lucky bastard.

But seriously, thanks to all for the help. I've been checking out all these bands, some I dig, some are just awful and I can't see how they're surviving as a band.....
headnugg
Invocation

I went to Myspace to check out Cat Power and I really like that song The Greatest. I just requested the CD from my local library, looking forward to checking that out. She's got a real soulful voice.

So thanks to whoever listed her.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

cat power is great(and totally sexy). 'the greatest' is one of my favorite albums from this year. it was recorded with the help of session players from memphis, total pros who've been around the block of few times. definitely her most mature and cohesive album IMO.
headnugg
Invocation

tim wrote:cat power is great(and totally sexy). 'the greatest' is one of my favorite albums from this year. it was recorded with the help of session players from memphis, total pros who've been around the block of few times. definitely her most mature and cohesive album IMO.
Oh nice, that is that album! I had been reading about that album and it sounded fascinating, I'm glad that's the one I requested from the library.....

Listening to Andrew Bird right now, he sounds pretty cool too......
tyler
From the Gecko

Andrew Bird is awesome. good choice.