bright eyes - im wide awake its morning

simon and garfunkel - the song america

red sparrowes

that gnarls barkley song crazy is quite the head banger

corrine bailey rae - self titled album

plenty more but thats all that comes to mind
tim
The Weight of Solomon

that andrew bird album is really good. i was listening to parts of it on saturday.

someone recommended 'explosions in the sky' over in the mogwai thread so i decided to check them out. bought "the earth is not a cold dead place", i like what i hear.

neil young- prairie wind cause i saw the movie over the weekend.

genghis tron- dead mountain mouth

massive atack- mezzanine

lee perry- african roots from the black ark

yeah ive just started delving into the andrew bird one but its a keeper for sure. i have a feeling its gonna reveal alot more subtle nuances with each listen.

explosions in the sky are awesome - definately in that mogwai-sih style, i find them to be more melodic and soothing where as mogwai is more about the up and down crashings of sort - theres another band called in that genre called red sparrowes that actually i think might the best of all three, theres an album of theres at the soundless dawn that is really epic, to me they manage to hold my attention better than mogwai or explosions but really all 3 are awesome - the new mogwai called mr beast has one song on it that has these electronic beats underneath and man thats hot ever time i hear it

i just got some genghis tron but i havent really given it a fair listening yet, should i start with that dead mountain mouth or a different album?

i also just got this 4 album set called 'a century of recorded poetry' which is so awesome - its poets from 1900 - 1999 reading their works - such variety and style its wild

whats massive attack like?

ive got to get that lee perry one, i remember that but lost it - god bless the one drop
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

there will be snacks
joebfiss
Tenfold

I have been mostly listenin to........

Ray Lamontagne - Trouble
The Slip - Angels Come On Time/Live At Lopo's
Beastie Boys - The In Sound From Way Out!
Black Rebel Motorcycle club - Howl (amazin album!)
America - The Definitive America

Probably loadsa other things too, but they are the ones comin to mind!

Joe.
putty
From the Gecko

In alphabetical order:::::::: Broken Social Scene Counting Crows The Cure David Bowie Fugazi M Ward My Morning Jacket R.E.M. Ryan Adams The Slip Surprise Me Mister Davis Townes Van Zandt Ween Zero 7
headnugg
Invocation

Howl is a cool album. Check out Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Fishscale is hot.

Amadou & Mariam ~ Dimanche a bamako Great fucking album.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

good tip on the red sparowes. i'm halfway through their album and i'm really digging it. not sure if you're familiar with lake trout but it sounds similar to what they play when they do their instrumental "ambient" sets.

i only have the one genghis tron album i mentioned so i can't judge it against the ep. be prepared though, it's fast and heavy.

massive attack is british trip-hop. i guess you could say it along the lines of portishead but with more edge.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

ive been goin through a big phish kick as of late

headnugg wrote:Howl is a cool album. Check out Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Fishscale is hot.

Amadou & Mariam ~ Dimanche a bamako Great fucking album.
I watched some documentary a while ago about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols and thought both were very cocky and full of shit. It seemed they were trying to say rock was dead and they believed they were the answer to those in need of rock. Seemed really weak to me but when in rome... Anybody seen that maybe?
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
nathan q
Cumulus

spiritualized. Is anybody down with spiritualized? If not, check out ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space. good 90's rock, like ambient grunge or something, but with a solid backbeat, and kind of psychedelic, maybe if godspeed ever made a song less than three hours long they might look like this. like godspeed, condensed, I guess. whatever. they rule.

Hell yea, i'm down with Spiritualized they are a great band! I have also been listenin to My Morning Jacket - Z loads.
joebfiss
Tenfold

Errr, that was me ^^^ dunno why I wasn't logged in! Sorry folks!

Joe
headnugg
Invocation

tonygaboni wrote:
I watched some documentary a while ago about the Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols and thought both were very cocky and full of shit. It seemed they were trying to say rock was dead and they believed they were the answer to those in need of rock. Seemed really weak to me but when in rome... Anybody seen that maybe?
You're talking about "Dig," great movie, took the filmmaker something like 8 years to complete the project. I would agree that the Dandy Warhols are cocky, the dude from Jonestown, can't remember his name, he's just a crazy bastard, probably some arrogance to, but he is a genius and one hell of a musician so that comes along w/the territory I suppose. Most musicians are cocky assholes, especially the successful ones......
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Non-Fiction
Ambrosia Drunk

DIG. rock
I met Antoine once on the LES. He was bein pretty cool as he talked about supersoaking assholes who sit on his stoop and paintballing cars across the street. I was sitting on his stoop with a friend. He acts/looks/sounds and even smells like rock n roll.

Im gonna be a devils advocate here and say Dandy Warhols 'Smoke It' sounds pretty good.

PLAY PAUSE STOP.
And if there's one thing I know to be true, it's let what you love be what you do.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

alright so im not totally out of it. I actually liked the film but yea that guy from jonestown was absolutely nuts, which I greatly appriciated more than anything in the film.
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "