Who died and made Jim James the Oracle of Delphi?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Do you approve of the job that Jim James is doing as arbiter of the obvious?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Yes
53%
No
7%
Who is Jim James?
20%
This whole thing is absurd, and funny.
20%

Total votes: 15

SamNo.2

Who died and made Jim James the Oracle of Delphi?

Just curious.

Been awhile peeps, but I thought I'd poke my head in here. I think this Jim James thing is hilarious. I've never met the man, but I'm glad he has bestowed the seal of approval on BAM.

So now what? TRL, MTV Cribs, and a duet with DMX? Please. By their natures, the Slip is impervious to the downpressors who are scheming to turn them into a commodity.

Yes, they will get bigger, and yes, they will get the attention they deserve, but I didn't need Jim James to tell me that this band is good, and no one else does either.

On another note, I think the new stuff sounds freaking great - I just want to be in the debut video......

cheers,
Sam
ian

out of the loop...perhaps you could elaborate
SamNo.2

putty
From the Gecko

you're not making any sense.

no, The Slip doesn't NEED Jim James to say they're a great band. But he had the platform, and he decided to say so.

Why does it matter that he did? Is there something wrong with being praised in the mainstream media? I don't think so. If The Slip were to end up on MTV, with an Even Rats video, I'd feel like some people out there in mainstream land are finally getting it. It would be a ray hope in the dark world of the norm.

I guess you have something against Jim James too, which is just strange.
SamNo.2

Welcome, friend!

I love this! Transient indy rock celebrity "pays it forward" by dropping existing knowledge to Rolling Stone and The New York Times!

Where is Zack Braff when you need him.....?

Gimme a break, man. What do you know about "media platforms" anyway? Do you have one?

There's nothing wrong with journalists in the MSM praising people and companies and bands - I do it all the time. And last time I checked, Jim James is not a reporter or a music critic. He's a musician - and we all know that musicans appreciate BAM, for obvious reasons. Just because Mr. James enjoyed a Slip show does not mean that we're out of the woods yet.

Finally, and this is my key point, you reference: "ray [of] hope in the dark world of the norm." It's a nice turn of phrase. What I am saying is that neither you nor I needs Jim James to tell me that The Slip is a source of positive art. The band manifests hope, by defintition, whenever they play, and the whole point is to give all fo us something to do while we watch the world explode. Marinate on that.

So, while I appreciate his opinion, I don't accede more credence to Mr. James than I would Jon, Phrazz, Diesel, KT, Sammy, Tim, Ian, Jon, Torph, Monkey Boy, or any of the rest of us. This is what a community is all about. Welcome.

cheers,
Sam
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

:lol: man, you cant just roll back in here like its mtv cribs, after a night of hardcore upper east side bar research, and jibber jabber about not needing jim james to tell you the sky is blue!

the dude is a cool cat, knows good music, and decided to drop the word on the moron masses who need others to tell them whats cool. i dont have a problem with it. if it leads to BAM playing to fuller rooms, and getting them to areas that haven't seen them in years (or ever), southeast, midwest, europe, then its good for everybody. it feels good to be hip to something, your own little secluded treasurer, but its no fun living on a deserted tropical island by yourself, right?

the question is do you think the slip appreciate it?
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
francis
From the Gecko

this is also a feature in every rolling stone, so it's not like jim james just said, "yo. make something about this" i think they just pick a different person each issue and have them talk about a recent live experience. for instance, the last issue was lou reed talking about seeing black dice.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
sm
Beantown Rocker

fuck that.

black dice fans dont need lou reed to tell them that black dice is cool!

and the ones that dont know should seek out some other opinion. somehow. somewhere. i dont know how, but they should.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

i dont know...

i dont know... i have a hard time picturing the slip getting really mainstream. honestly i would be a little upset. but it would be a good smack in the face to all those clowns at mtv and vh1. i just dont see the slip's good musicianship fitting in with the repetitive pop lines on the top 20 countdown. mtv and vh1 dont take kindly to creativity.
tyler
From the Gecko

my morning jacket isn't mainstream so why would their singer talking about the slip make the slip mainstream? this topic doesn't make any sense.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i agree, i don't think the mmj fanbase is your typical TRL crowd. i would hope that anyone who found out about BAM through jim james would be able to take a suggestion and judge the music on it's own merit and not like something solely because their favorite rock star does. if a musician i respect suggests something, then i'm going to check it out. i've found out about groups like broken social scene, architecture in helsinki and andrew bird cause brad or marc made a post saying it was something they enjoyed. i don't like these bands cause they said they did. i like these bands because they're genuinely good and i just happened to hear about them first through another artist i really enjoy.
vh1 dont take kindly to creativity.
dude, you've obviously never seen 'supergroup'. damnocracy is nothing short of epic!
non-fictoin

everything is mainstream now due to the digital era. isnt it??
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

good point. stuff travels round the net so much now that many bands are mainstream to an extent.
headnugg
Invocation

THis thread is fucking stupid.

Jim James is the man, MMJ rocks and kudos to Jim for pointing out in TWO bigtime, mainstream mags that the Slip is cool.

Easy, simple, nuff said, now why would anyone argue with that?
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

because the slip havent played a show in a week or so, and people just dont know what to talk about anymore!

JAPAN :-)

they will rock it there

Dan