General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cactus148927
Yaki Soba

THE SLiP

headnugg
Invocation

cool
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

wow, 'local jamband laughingstock'. this dude come off a little harsh. whats this mag about anyway?

its good to see jim james talking about these guys.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
headnugg
Invocation

the phoenix is actually a pretty cool paper. they have a lot of concert listings and some good interviews/articles most weeks. the phoenix is the cool free paper that everyone reads.
Give us the Teachings of His Majesty, we don't want no devil philosophy.
Katie
Invocation

Ha. "bunch of hippies?"! Who the hell writes this column? Sounds like whoever it was has heard From the Gecko and saw an old press photo of Brad with long hair and a beard. :roll: I'm surprised no one's left any comments over there... all those Guitar Hero kids probably wouldn't take lightly to claims that they like hippie music.

Seriously though, press is press, even if it's got some bitter commentary, you can't deny it's good news.
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

yup, thats one way to get into rollingstone, right?

this is the second time that they've had a little bit of press/exposure. i really wish they would put out another single or EP. throw in another studio song, and put 2 live kick ass songs on it.

edit: nevermind, album is due in the fall, im content.
Last edited by diesel on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
bouche
Alsoa

well, the opening sentance was clearly written by a guy who didn't finish grammar school ;)
Doesn't is just break your heart
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Does it just break your heart...

Does not it just break your heart...
francis
From the Gecko

man. it's crazy seeing the slip in rolling stone. big fucking props on that. i guess it helps playing with MMJ
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
Phrazz

Shitty article, shittier writer

Posted in response on the comments blog at the end of the article:

7/5/2006 9:36:05 PM (Eastern Daylight Time, UTC-04:00)
------------------------------------------------------------------

This pathetic article comes with a typo in the first sentence. Your "writing" contains more quoted material than your own words. This is bordering on plagiarism since your content is null and void: bereft of thought as well as creativity, it only excels in angst and banality.

If I like Aerosmith does that make me a biker? What if I also like The Slip as well as My Morning Jacket, but also like The Flaming Lips and Radiohead? Are the latter two also considered "jam bands" by your eminent estimation? These are all superbly talented bands and critically acclaimed by musicians as well as fans (and quite a few educated critics). Why slam hippies? Did a hippie steal your girlfriend?

Also, properly we write "The Slip". We don't write "the Beatles" or "the Stones" because the "The" is very much part of the bands' names. It's ironic that you say you like CoD, but it's only the tip of a very large iceberg that will sink the Indie Steamship Cruiser as surely as it sunk the "jam band" and "hippie" maladroit monikers. I hope your day job pays more than your Phoenix gig. How many Slip songs have you actually heard?

Printing "Ugh" four times is not criticism -- it is defacation using letters that are barely words.

-Phrazz
I'd like to add the clock-punching part really irked me. I doubt this cat earns a living on his Phoenix gig. I know what writers make and it's just as hard as being a musician. The bitterness could be attributed to Beasters or perhaps a shortage of Valium. Most indie musicians do have day jobs that pay more than their stage gigs...for many years. This why the average band lasts less than three years and for a band to last ten really means they are on to something. I doubt this writer has similar "staying power".

Oh yeah, Phoenix is a decent paper, but quite opinionated (biased) with attitude. Doubtful they'll have 1/100th the circulation of Rolling Stone, so this gnat of a writer really can't compete with the candor of Jim James (I thought his little paragraph was very well written, BTW).

P.S.: sentance ? Does not it? Oh, never mind.

P.P.S.: Please note my use of "logical quotes". Some consider this Neanderthalean, but I consider this more accurate (and modern).
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

should there be a comma after Aerosmith
If I like Aerosmith does that make me a biker?
to
If I like Aerosmith, does that make me a biker?
haha, who am I to write, your brilliant.

dan
Grammarian

oops

I think you mean "you're" rather than "your," no?

Heh heh
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

ha ha I still am but kid!
Beelzebub

Dan is the antichrist

Dan, you just hit 666 posts. Better post another one fast. :twisted: