Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

casey
Alsoa

decembers childrens lyrics fix

the hot wheels the autobahns the decepticons

i think it is "the autobots" instead of "the autobahns", as in the transformers
Del
Beantown Rocker

Not sure about that, but I think I've heard Brad alternate between "If you're born on Christmas, or the day before New Years" and "If you're born on Christmas, or God forbid New Years" and "If you're born on Christmas, the holidays or New Years"... Does this constantly change, or am I hearing things?
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
tim
The Weight of Solomon

Del wrote: Does this constantly change, or am I hearing things?
you're hearing things and quite well might i add. it does change up from time to time. "born on christmas and hanukkah and new years" is another one that's been used,
Del
Beantown Rocker

Well I'm glad I'm not crazy... I like that he changes it up, it makes certain versions stand out more than others...
Phrazz

Changing lyrics...

Some crafty (quick-witted) lyricists change words more often than guitar strings, at times. This hearkens back not just to Dead, but earlier traditions where at times everyone forgets the original lyrics, or they felt the urge to creatively adjust in real-time (ie, while performing, not recording). I think it's not only welcome but it keeps us listeners on our toes...breathes some fresh air into the mix and reminds us the song and words unfold and evolve over time.

For these reasons I'm a bit hesitant to alter the lyrics until more people have chimed in (particularly the authors :) ). I've made adjustments before and I get the occasional email "no wait, that's not what he said" and again the rarer emails "no wait, I don't think that's what I said" and even rarer "oh, that's what I meant to have said". ;-}

Now about song titles: there's another interesting subject, sort of related to the changing lyrics observation.
casey
Alsoa

right, well I just it was "the autobots" considering hes says "the decepticons" right after it and "the autobahns" doesn't make much sense.
Del
Beantown Rocker

Well, autobahns rhymes with decepticons... Maybe he switches this up too?