Help with bitorrent

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

Help with bitorrent

Hey, first time poster but been in the circles since 97.

I am trying to figure out this whole BT thingy. I download shns, flac, mp3's, zipfile with no problems but can't get BT to download when I click on the link. I have Windows XP, high speed access, flacfrontend, winapp. What am I missing?
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

you need the bit torrent software... here is a link to get it... and you should be set then...

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Hope this helps!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

I downloaded the stuff from the site but it is still not working. I get this message when I try to run: Download error: Problem connecting to tractor - <urlopen error (7, 'getaddrinfo failed')> :?:
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

that is a problem on there end then... I think... I usually get that when no one is on seeding it.. you have to try to get shows that people are actually seeding... it's not like audio archive where you just download whatever.... ya know... hope this helps...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

OK I have a bunch directories for these BT shows with flac or shn files in them that have no data. Just the show and track listing but with 0 megabites.

Why isn't the Slip on the Archive.org? It's so much easier.
Del
Beantown Rocker

FromTheGrieco wrote:Why isn't the Slip on the Archive.org? It's so much easier.
I would argue that BitTorrent is much easier, just click once and it downloads... I have a Mac, so I have to download each song track by track off the archive... BitTorrent works well for me, although I agree, it would be nice to see The Slip on the archive...
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Well when you start it, it will give you fingerprints for all of them.. but until the download is complete you won't be able to do anything with them....

As for the slip not being on archive.org... Please don't start this arguement again... it's been hashed over and over... and until BAM sees fit, they won't be on archive.org....

why not just use oz or slipserver... that's what they're there for.. ya know...

just my $0.02
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
JEFFfromNC

Because there to F'n slow!!! It takes a WHOLE day to get a show. Slipserver only runs around 12kb and thats just way to slow.... :wink:
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

I'm sorry I must have missed the arguements for or against using the archive. Please fill me in because hundreds of bands use it and I can get full shows in flac, shn or mp3 format in minutes. What does BAM have against it that the Dead do not and have allowed 2,000 shows to be available for free download. On the archive you can download anytime you want. You don't have to wait for the seeder to be logged on or a spot to open up, whatever the hell that means.
Del
Beantown Rocker

It's not so much an arguement for or against the archive, as it is an arguement as to whether we should be "telling" BAM what to do with their music... I think everyone agrees it would be nice to see The Slip on the archive. I think the key word here is patience... If BAM sees fit to allow it, we'll all be all over it. But I believe on the Graffiti pages it seems to come up quite a bit, and fans are kind of getting sick of some people's attitude that the band "owes it" to us to allow shows to be uploaded to the archive. I think the resistance you're getting to the idea stems from previous Graffiti arguements...
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

Correct...

And so far as I know.. and people like cleantone, tim, and phrazz will be able to paraphrase this better than me... the reason they are not crazy about archive is that they won't know what shows are on there... and they kinda want to have some quality control... call it self conscience of how they sounded that show or whatever... but I think that is one of the main reasons they aren't on there....

Plus you can't compare them to the dead... the dead basically help launch taping... didn't matter if Jerry was all smacked out or not... ya know...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!