So guess who okayed archive.org?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

So guess who okayed archive.org?

It'll just be a while to do the red tape before we can up/download.

We do need to try to keep it to higher quality shows. Expessially in the beginning.
Last edited by Cleantone on Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

awesome! best news of the day. :D
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

Awesome! I havent had a new Slip show in a while. (not counting ASS20)
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I also got 2/18/05 Tokyo in the mail today. It's pretty damn good. I'm working on it now an might seed it tonight on dimeadozen or I might wait for archive.

2/18/05: O-East: Tokyo,
Set 1: Landing> Even Rats, ?> Sometimes True to Nothing, Cowboy Up, Lonely Boy, Happy Snails
Set 2: Proud, Decembers Children, Wolof, Suffocation Keep, You'll Find a Home
Encore: Honeymelon*
Notes: Organic Groove Festival
with Timo Shanko on Tenor Saxaphone
* with members the Sim Redmond Band
cleantone - Mon Jul 25 16:02:55 EDT 2005
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

uh oh....

Great news, but somber news for me.

Cant you.... Stream these?

i havent been to archive in a while but maybe the stuff i looked at was just mp3... not sure hopefully SlipStream will be the streaming slip not just archive.

peace
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Dan,

Obviously you can continue to run Slipstream. You have to allow MP3's for streaming ability. Archive make the MP3's internally. I am also thinking of not allowing it for The Slip anyway. They make 64kbps mp3's. If it were 192k I woudln't be as bothered. I'm still waiting to hear from a rep after sending the word along to them anyway. It could be even a week or more before it's active. I wish there were more control for archive. I would love to have FLAC/SHN available for download and mp3's to stream but NOT for download. It's one or the other as it is now.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Mp3s are bad quality

Wheni want to listen to shows, i pop in my flac disks cause they do sound way better. i back everything up in flac. I dont think we should give out mp3 so easily, i like Oz better because you only get a short window to get on there, and it usuallyt imes out so you can only grab a set and then have to wait to get on again. thats determination.

peace
dannnnnnnnnny
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

thats determination.
no it isn't :lol:

someone never traded cassettes... :wink:

just joshin you man. It was SO different before the internet. snail mailing hand written tape lists and waiting 6 months for a 10th generation Phish show. THAT is determination!!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

hey
i used to listen to old dead and phish mixes from my cousins when i was 6-10 and then my parents got me a cd player. and it had a radio!

but i still listen to my records on my seaseme street turntable

technology is neat,
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

Wait, will cd players play flac or shn files? Mine doesnt play burned cds, period so ive never been able to try.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Not that I'm aware of. I know Kenwood put out a car player years ago that read FLAC files and the metadata but I dont think it took off. Too bad. I use them for back up. I used to make audio CDR for listening but now the iPod does it for me. FLAC>AIFF>iTunes>192khz MP3> iPod> ears... Saves me money on CDR. Now I really only buy DVDR for backing stuff up. It's great!
SpaceIsThePlace
Alsoa

Ive never quite understood the point of FLAC if you just convert it to MP3 anyway. Please enlighten me, cleantone.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I hear ya! I have only recently even been listening to mp3. As Phrazz had once noted 192khz vbr mp3's sound pretty decent. You can just fit so much more on the iPod that way too. BUT I'm anal and keep the FLAC as backup because that way I have the higher fidelity at my disposal. The FLAC files can be decoded to give me the origional files if I need them.
Phrazz

FLAC != MP3

FLAC is lossless (original quality), MP3 is lossy (compressed quality). VBR at 192KHz or better is very hard to tell (about 5:1 compression), but good ears on a good stereo can hear loss of definition, muddied vocals, etc. However, when portability is an issue, people can live with the audio loss (in general) to have 5x or more songs available. Most stereos and ears can't tell the difference (especially those of us with hearing damage)...which is why MP3s are so damned popular. The masses will sacrifice quality for quantity.

Seems it's hard to find CD players that do FLAC (probably because of the need for outboard processing as in a computer). But there are a few more portable devices (solid-state, not CD) that support FLAC format (some also do Ogg Vorbis and SHN, also very good audio formats):

http://flac.sourceforge.net/news.html