mp3 shows

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

mp3 shows

OK, I realize I may be opening myself up for criticism, name calling, and possible death threats, but here's my thought: Johnny Bahr recently came to the Slip graffiti community looking for Slip mp3s to load up his (proposed) new iPod. I have an mp3 player also, and I've found that converting shows and writing all the id tags is a rotten pain in the ass.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had some sort of repository for mp3s with all the information coherent and consistent?

I know the tape purists are going to shit on me, but frankly I think they can have some. I think that good conversions still sound good (I've heard plenty of mp3s that sounded better than some of the 24bit recordings I've heard), and that its senseless for us to waste our time individually converting shows for personal consumption.

I also understand the tapers' concerns about "pissing in the tape pool".

So that's what I'm thinking about. If we can get some sort of consensus on sharing mp3s, and maybe if a few people were willing to throw down and do some converting and labelling (per specific regulations), maybe we could save ourselves a lot of trouble. An mp3 conversion would also allow me to host six or seven shows at once, rather than 1.

thoughts?
The world really is magic
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

iPeed

yes.. i agree with need of an mp3 pool with a strict quality check. im going to need these when i get my new ipod.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
casey
Alsoa

or you can get the rio karma which can play .flac files
Del
Beantown Rocker

I believe iPods can play .wav files... But it defeats the purpose of having an iPod, does it not? As long as the mp3s are clearly labelled, so someone who doesn't want an mp3 sourced show doesn't end up with one, I don't see the problem...
"I figured out what I'm good for, making anything look better" - Ugly Casanova
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Should I substitute the word taper for Clinton here? :) Don't make me delete this thread! :wink:
tim
The Weight of Solomon

who the hell is this guy?

who in the hell is etahn?!?!?

cleantone- i know your trigger finger is getting itchy...mod his ass. do it, JUST DO IT!!!!
Phrazz

etahn, iPods and audio quality

etahn is...damnit, man, just rearrange the letters! It's not that hard....

iPods suck. No, iPods are cute. They don't record, and have limited formats, but dang if they ain't the tiniest car on the block. Tiny is good, but I'd like to see card-reading ability and more CODECs.

If you have to do MP3s, use 256 VBR or better. Won't tell much of a difference on my setup, but some bad encoders make sucky audio conversions even if they're at a high bit rate. Use LAME encoding if you can.

I'm a big fan of MP3s, but a bigger fan of original sound quality. I don't like to listen to MP3s below 128, which sound real nasty, but the convenience is very handy and the Tagged source library is a great idea.
lumpy
From the Gecko

a time and place

there's a time for compressed files......namely when I can carry a whole slew of music to work with me in a tiny ass little thing, play em through my computer speakers, and be content at work.

And then there's a time for a nice pair of headphones, and a nicely recorded show that hasn't been compressed.

Converting and naming does take time - an online solution would be sweet...but it would be hard to figure out which program/codec would be the best sounding and most useful for people on all sorts of different hard disk players and personal use requirements.

oh yeah - and I'm pysched that there's a nice slip message board going on here. good work to those who did it :)
Phrazz

welcome aboard

hey...I think I know you! Welcome aboard! Is this I (of eye)? Where's your avatar? Get with the program. 8)
lumpy
From the Gecko

Hey Phrazz - I don't think we know each other. I'm dave. I used to live in poughkeepsie. I bet we've seen each other.
Phrazz

Strongbad

Great avatar, BTW. Forgot that GIFs lend well to animation. Thought you were someone else in SF...but maybe we have met. Do you go to Slip shows at all? :wink:
Jason Booth

well now that your asking..

OZ will soon have it's entire catalog converted into MP3 and index'd for iTunes. I'm not doing song titles, but if someone wants to download them and index the songs, that'd be cool.

Anyway, the whole thing fits in about 40gb (10 DVDs)..
JEFFfromNC

Hey Jason..Good to hear from you. I was wondering if someone emailed you...

Just curious to what ratio you taking them to: 256K, 192K or lower?
“We search for acceptance, yet we give not freely...”
"There is a lot more to people, then you might give them credit for."
Addictions: I spent many years unknowingly acquiring them, now I spend every minute trying to fight them.

JEFFfromNC wrote:Hey Jason..Good to hear from you. I was wondering if someone emailed you...

Just curious to what ratio you taking them to: 256K, 192K or lower?
VBR min96, max384kbs using lame.
etahn
From the Gecko

ID tag convention

It's be nice if we could agree on a format for ID tags on these mp3s. I know that most of the stuff I get either has everything in the file name or worse. I've some ideas myself, but I'd like to have some discussion.

I don't know if there's a current standard and I just don't know about it.
The world really is magic