name that mystery gem B&P

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

torph
Alsoa

name that mystery gem B&P

so I dreamed up this little contest... I have ZERO recent live slip on CD and need to stock up for a trip. My hard drive, thankfully, has preserved some rare gems that I think many of you would enjoy. So send me whatever you have from the last year or two (just one disc) and I will send you a CD of six tracks. Its your job to figure out the titles and dates. I put on three easy ones and three hard ones- all told almost 70min. of music. Three tracks are high quality SBD's that should melt your ears. Whoever comes the closest to filling in blanks will get another CD of rarities sent to them as a prize. :) I have a bunch of these burned, so just drop me a PM if you are interested in playing this little came. If I get any doubles through this I'll just give them to somebody else. 1st Annual SLIPLIVE archive contest?
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

SWEET! Good idea torph... I'm in...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
torph
Alsoa

this will be a straight trade, not a B&P. Judging from speed of replies to this, at some point I may turn you toward people that I traded with for the mystery disc. But please play the game and post you answers here (although I may start another thread in General Converstaions once everyone gets their CD. I'll send the first batch out tomorrow.
torph
Alsoa

thanks to those who decided to play. I'll keep this open another day, so get in touch soon if you want in. Here's how its gonna work:

you get a point for identifying each of these things:

1. the song
2. the date & venue
3. who taped it (this is much easier than you'd think)
4. any guests that may appear

1-3 apply to all 6 tunes, while 4 (guests) applies to only 3 tunes. In total you could get 21 - like blackjack.

the individual with the most points wins a nice little compilation that I'm putting together right now. I'm looking forward to getting your discs. thanks again. :)
torph
Alsoa

O.K., this moved quickly, so we'll just play the game right here. you know the rules (see above posting)- one point for identifying each of these: song title, date & venue, who recorded it, and any guests (when applicable). Start posting answers on Saturday. The rarities compilation for the winner is done and ready to be sent out. Let me know if you have not recieved the disc by now and we'll postpone... but ya'll should have it at the latest by mail drop-off today.

1. (6:03)
2. (12:09)
3. (9:17)
4. (8:22)
5. (22:31)
6. (10:30)
tim
The Weight of Solomon

here we go...

1- owner of a lonley heart
10/31/98 narragansett ocean club roller rink
sbd/ sam
peter stolzman

2- steel pan jam/semi zion
9/15/01 S.L.A.C festival
cleantone
adam deitch

3- stand by me
9/15/01 S.L.A.C festival
cleantone
leslie helpert

4- 74
12/31/02 lupo's heartbreak hotel
sbd/sam

5- tenfold
9/8/02 open theatre east
sbd/sam

6- you might say
1/27/00 higher ground (total shot in the dark)
cleantone
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I lived in Florida from 4/99 till 10/01 and only saw the Slip once in that time period. 12/31/00
tim
The Weight of Solomon

well there go three points :x
etahn
From the Gecko

ok, this one I'm pretty sure of.

1- owner of a lonley heart
10/31/98 narragansett ocean club roller rink
Jason Booth
peter stolzman

BTW, when's somebody gonna bust out Wiccans on Wheels Boo?
The world really is magic
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

miss ohio

fred,

could that song be any fucking better? i think not. i'm glad you have it as your quote, except that just when i get the song out of my head, i see your post and back it comes. sweet, sweet gillian.

see you a la stone bear?
sara
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
Katie
Invocation

Alright here's what I've got so far:

1. Owner of a Lonely Heart
(Thank you Slipbase for date/venue info)
10/31/98 Narragansett Ocean Club Roller Rink: Narragansett, RI
w/Peter Stolzman on keys
Searching the net I found one source in circulation, no taper listed but it's similar to some other shows that are credited to Jason Booth, so that's my guess.

2. Steel Pan/Zion
09/15/2001: S.L.A.C. Festival - Apeiron Fields: Coventry, RI
w/Adam Deitch
Taped by Brian Donoghue

3. Stand By Me
09/15/2001: S.L.A.C. Festival - Apeiron Fields: Coventry, RI
w/ Leslie Helpert
Taped by Brian Donoghue

4. 74
This one is definately a Sammy soundboard. That being said, the timing is really close to my aud recording of 12/31/02 (and I think it's gotta be late '02 with Brad on the sitar/guitar), so that would be my guess too... but the tone of the aud recording is really different. Kudos on tracking down a better source Torph if it is in fact 21/31/02... definately a gem.

5. Tenfold
Another soundboard. Still haven't decided what show this is from...

6. You Might Say
Just a guess, it's the closest recording I found with a similar intro:
11/09/2002: Stella Blue: Asheville, NC
The 3rd soundboard recording.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Tim basically got mine... I was just having a hard time with figuring out tenfold... I'm such a dumbass... awesome recordings though... the opener of Owner of a lonely heart was classic....
8)
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
torph
Alsoa

well, I'm just waiting for final answers from 1 or 2 more peeps & i'll post the info and the "winner". You guys are all more or less on the right track, but as I warned you there were 3 easy ones and three hard ones.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sara: I may not make the Stone Bear, as I'm moving to SF/Berklee at the end of this month. I would *LOVE* to be there. Yes, Miss Welch is amazing. My band, The Hens, covers Miss Ohio and it always gets a great reaction- not too many peeps know the tune and some end up thinking its one of our originals. We just did a day of pre-production tracking with Cleantone behind the board and none other than Marc Friedman filling the "producer" shoes. Rather intimidating, as you might imagine for our first crack in the studio. Alas, things went well (thanx to Clinton & Marc) and we may just be onto something. Look for a finished record in a bout a year :wink:
rhythmicstorm
Get Me with Fuji

Fred- congrats on your recording adventures! i can't wait to hear this stuff. and wow, how amazing to have friedman on board. i've recently heard some stuff he produced (it's apparantly very secretive so i can't say who the performer is but you might know what i'm talking about) and was BLOWN away! that's great you're moving out west. will you be in berkeley or the city? i keep tossing around the idea of moving up there. well... good luck with everything and i'll hopefully run into you soon.
PEACE, sara
You that love lovers, this is your home. Welcome!
torph
Alsoa

thanks Sara. I will hopefully be making it down to L.A. to my cousin's studio to keep working on this project. Maybe you can show me around a bit. I put "producer" in quotations b/c Marc offered limited, but very well-placed advice, and I'm sure that our stuff bears no resemblance to material that is heavily produced by him. Plus it was only a 9 hour session. I don't even know if he will want production credit, although I think he deserves it. Maybe "moral support & creative/structural input". That kinda sounds like producer, though. He will get credit for a mean shaker on a nice little acoustic diddy that Cleantone dialed in to sound like butter. I'm mixing the tracks in a few days with radiohead's live engineer. WTF? don't ask me how this is all happening.
------------
Last call on this game. I'm gonna post the results soon. Thanks sooo much to those who played. And thanks for the great CD's that are gracing my ears.