Torrent - SMMD 7/3/09 Late Night, High Sierra AUD

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Torrent - SMMD 7/3/09 Late Night, High Sierra AUD

You asked for it so here it is! More Davis, fresh off the presses! More to come...

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=526833

Surprise Me Mr. Davis
7/3/09
Funk'n Jamhouse, High Sierra Music Festival, Quincy CA
late night set opening for ALO

Source:
Schoeps CCM 4V (run @ FOH) > MOTU Ultralight > MacBook Pro > AudioDesk 2.11 (24/44.1) > AIFF (16 bit) >
Peak 5.2.1 (normalized and sliced) > FLAC (xAct 1.5.8 - fixed SBE)

Setlist:

Disc 1
1. intro
2. Everything Must Go
3. Roses and Bottles
4. When A Woman
5. Sissyfuss
6. Sleepyhead
7. Summer of My Fall >
8. I'm No Good At All

Disc 2
1. When A Little Boy
2. I Hate Love
3. One Sick Knave
4. If You Knew > *
5. I Want To Get to Heaven Before I Die
6. Fat King of Gods
7. Home Away From Home

* First Time Played

Notes:
Thanks to Ian Stone for loaning me his Schoeps!
lucasdavidsamuels
Through the Iron Gate

thanks harry! i'm dying to hear the "Dead Flowers" probably my all time favourite stones tune
thanks again
Twitter: @lucsamuels
SamNo.2

Hot mess. I really hope this isn't what the band plans on taking public.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

I'm really digging this take on Rubber Ball. It's not the same without Amy's vocals, but it's pretty damn awesome.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I was listening to some of this again and yes, there are some flubs and miscues but on the whole I think it is a fun and hot show. It is not mechanical perfection but then again I can think of a lot of great live shows from bands like Zeppelin, the Stones and of course the good old Grateful Dead that weren't note-perfect either.
magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

exactly, harry.

the looseness of davis sometimes is perhaps best remedied by Being There. the performances never sound as good to me later as the show did at the time. i'm beside myself with glee and rocking every moment, but listening later of course you can hear all the errors... and again, i have to question, why even bother comparing it to the slip? it's not the friggin slip, man. same three guys, yes, but it's a completely different animal... more straight rockn'roll, with songs that more often than not stemmed from nathan's folk-oriented songpool. i LOVE what happens when davis transforms old nathan songs, particularly stuff like sisyphus. and as with everything, just simply having more time with each other to work on stuff is all they need to really pull it together tight, which is time they never seem to have...

yes, time will tell.
and i can tell you, having heard the unreleased demo EP from last year, whatever they've got up their sleeves is well worth waiting for. that stuff blew the lid off any studio smmd work to that point. whenever they get around to actually releasing a new disc it's gonna be amazing...
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>