kaki king at wakarusa

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

ScS
From the Gecko

kaki king at wakarusa

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=11279
---
Kaki King
06-19-2004
Wakarusa Festival
Clinton State Park
Lawrence, KS

(Sun-down Stage)

Source: (Modified) AKG 461 > P-Mod UA-5 > Sony M1
Transfer: Sony M1 > Dio 2448 > Cool Edit Pro > wav > shn
Taped/transfered by: KCMoeJoe (jhutchison@kc.rr.com)

01. Intro/Tuning
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I should refrain from posting this but I think her ego has caught up to her... I went to the horse early Friday for her set. Went down stairs to talk to her, I've met her more times than you should need to meet someone before they remember you. Needless to say she didn't recall ever meeting me and in front of her opening band in the green room can of pretty cocky to me. So got my money back and came back later without seeing or recording her set. I just went from being a fan to being a former fan. Don't think I'll be seeing her again anytime soon. :cry:
tim
The Weight of Solomon

that really sucks c'tone. look at it this way- if that's the attitude she chooses to have then she's probably not a very happy person herself.
ScS
From the Gecko

that does suck cleantone but i don't think you should refrain from listening to her. good music is good music.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Tara
Alsoa

that does suck cleantone but i don't think you should refrain from listening to her. good music is good music.
Ehh I don't agree with that. There is alot of good music and if someone was just rude and cocky to me, I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Sorry she treated you that way Cleantone. :(
Tara

"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." F. Nietzsche
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

It's not a realy big deal but last time I saw her was mid June and we hung out for a few hours at the same venue. Soundchecked had dinner etc... This time I brought her the CD and wanted to talk about a live record in the future. She was like, "I played here in June?" I know being on the road and meeting tons of people can do that but I've "met" and "talked" to her probably 10 times since mid 02'. In June I was surprised she didn't recall but this time I was just put off by it. Not as much that itself but more the way she reacted in front of a few other local musicians who I've worked with before. Of course I felt like an idiot and left. :evil:
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

next time you see that carpet muncher tell her to kiss your ass...

thats just f'ed up dude... who the hell is this chick and why the fuck is everyone sweating her?? ooohh another 'good' guitar player.. ooohh, so fucking what.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

next time you see that carpet muncher tell her to kiss your ass...

thats just f'ed up dude... who the hell is this chick and why the fuck is everyone sweating her?? ooohh another 'good' guitar player.. ooohh, so fucking what.
HA HA HA!!!! Thats awsome. I'm sure next time I see her if ever it will be just like this last time. I've always bit my internet toungue when guys post about how cute she is and blah blah blah, but the next time I'll probably mention that unless there a lesbian they should just calm down. I don't know for certain that she doesn't go both ways but I'm guessing not. Thanks for the laugh. :lol:
ScS
From the Gecko

Tara wrote:
Ehh I don't agree with that. There is alot of good music and if someone was just rude and cocky to me, I wouldn't waste my money on them either.
i agree. i would not waste my money on them either if they acted like a dick. but it doesn't mean i would stop listening to the music. there's a difference between music and a musician.
scs
delray beach, florida

chris. too lazy to log in

whatever man shes not even that good.
ScS
From the Gecko

all in the ear of the listener my friend.
scs
delray beach, florida

Phrazz

Kaki is pretty good, but not quite legendary

Sometimes ego precedes talent, but this can be said for a lot of artists. I know some monster harp guitarists (similar fingerstylers), and Kaki is like 20 years behind them (but she's also at least 20 years younger). Maybe she'll lose the ego over time, and the road can make people punch-drunk, but I do sense a marketing thing going on and that's on both sides of the game. Sellling yourself is not easy business, and it's easy to lose integrity. Maybe she'll get it back (maybe she's reading this), or maybe she thinks people just can't understand her (not that they don't understand her).

That's too bad she didn't remember you, but I'm sure it was a "selective memory" thing and being in the proximity of the other musicians also might have made her try to act cooler than normal, or maybe she's too cool for her fancy shoes. Some people are like that (even good musicians). But like I said, it'll take her a while to get to the level of Michael Hedges, and if she's an indignant young aspiring artist, she will shun the comparisons (maybe rightly so...but I remember a party where some guy said some of my licks were like some guitarist I really respected...I just said no way Jose and blushed a bit...maybe that blush response gets suppressed when you've heard it so many times you get jaded, and that itself is also a sad thing).

Fame can be a trecherous monster, and those under the heat of the lights sometimes forget...but the true pros come out of that negative world and learn to grow beyond just their image of themselves or how they see themselves as this image that others have fabricated. It's really not about the image at all--but some artists use that image to sell product, and this is just the nature of the game.

I would say many artists play this game well, sometimes better than the music is worth, but the ones I like turn out to be pretty damned cool in person (especially the ones who don't remember me...it's easy to be pals with someone you remember, harder to be pals with a stranger or even still to remember your true friends after years on the road).

Now, did you forget to pay her for the CD or something? :P

Regardless of all these perceptual complexities, maybe sometime you can talk to her about it in private--but that's really doubtful. People really forget how reputation is built up and how easy it is to break it down. I try to cut some slack, but over time, and with much communication. Some folks turned out to be OK and others turned out to be even bigger jerks. We all can't get along and that's ok if we just enjoy hanging out with who we like (even if we expect our favorite musicians to be nicer in person, or be able to accept them when they're all swollen-headed and all).

I know more than a few bands who are thankful for people like Cleantone and I've talked to many tapers, bands, managers, club owners, girlfriends, boyfriends, a couple of dogs and I think I had a long conversation with a tree once or twice. Psychology is very tricky, some have a knack for it and some just find it easier to be jerks. I know I'm seen as a jerk sometimes (on the boards, work, etc), but really I'm just a hard-ass, and there's a big difference (maybe not so big to some). There is a fine line between being strong-willed and being egoistic...I try not to cross that line too often but every so often I read what I posted or listen to what I said and think "Man, I'm sounding like Kaki King now!" :twisted:

You know, I used to put down floor tiles myself, but you ever try chopping wood with one hand? This brings me to another analogy about work and people, art and food...but it won't help us understand the things that bother us any better. Maybe it can help us deal with situations we don't like...but I always find talking about these things helps more often than not...the few times it doesn't can always be overcome and not talking at all really is just basic supression.

Which other aspiring artists are real jerks in person?
:wink:
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

Re: Kaki is pretty good, but not quite legendary

Phrazz wrote:I try not to cross that line too often but every so often I read what I posted or listen to what I said and think "Man, I'm sounding like Kaki King now!" :twisted:
it's mondo early for me, but it still made me LOL!! :lol: :lol:

I can honestly say.. I appreciate Kaki's music... ya know.. it's different.. but that's a total bitch move... I mean.. I don't always remember everyone's name (in fact, I'm horrible about it) but I always remember faces... I sooo hope she's the next character on the Sureal life then....
:lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
etahn
From the Gecko

Re: Kaki is pretty good, but not quite legendary

Phrazz wrote:(...but I remember a party where some guy said some of my licks were like some guitarist I really respected...I just said no way Jose and blushed a bit...maybe that blush response gets suppressed when you've heard it so many times you get jaded, and that itself is also a sad thing).
Ha. Try telling Marc he sounds like Jaco. Witness 'jaded'.

I should also say the times I've spoken with Marc he's been a very kind and very genuine person. But I imagine it must be difficult to work soo hard to develop your own identity and only be recognized for certain of your influences. Whether the observation says more about the observed or the observer is another question.
The world really is magic
SlippedDisc
Tenfold

As to Phrazz's question, I submit Lyle Lovett as a pretentious prick. I worked backstage at the Ottawa Bluesfest, and he and his entire entourage drew lines in the sand and made sure you ran around for them. Honestly, he was a total fucking asshole, and it would perhaps be understandable if his reasons were talent rather than a certain ex-wife. Or maybe his cowish good looks are the reason?