The Slip 11-11-2005 Somerville Torrent [bt.etree.org]

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Hows it sound for my first "Pro" Recording

Very Good
50%
man fix those levels!
No votes
Im surprised!
50%
Stick to streaming
No votes

Total votes: 10

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

The Slip 11-11-2005 Somerville Torrent [bt.etree.org]

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=19764

The Slip
November 11th, 2005
Somerville Theater
Somerville, Mass

Source: AT825 (stereo mic)>Tascam US-122>Dell Inspiron 8500> (Mic was 8' up and centered in the 4th row)
Transfer: Inspiron 8500>Adobe Audition (incresed volume on the right channel)>WAV>FLAC

Taped and transferred by Dan Bagnall
Dannyb123abc@gmail.com
www.theslipstream.org

One set show with one encore

Notes:
Because there was no power I had to wait until
the slip came on, so the first 40 seconds is
missing from track number 1.

Disk One:
1. All I Saw Was You%
2. Paper Birds
3. I Hate Love
4. Electronic Intro>
5. Wine and White Soda
6. Reddish Moon
7. Even Rats
8. From The Gecko

Disk Two:
1. Suffocation Keep^
2. Miss Prism
3. Brad Intro>
4. Cumulus
5. "Man On Fire"@ New acoustic song (starts at 1:04)
6. Moderate Threat>
7. Cowboy Up>
8. Spacey Intro>
9. Soft Machine

Disk Three:
1. Encore
2. Modern Love#
3. One of Us Standing

% Missing first 45 seconds
^ Andrew on the Steel Drum
@ New Acoustic Song
# David Bowie song
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

With all this shit does no one even care. So consumed in the hate for a change we forget the passion that we are as music lovers. Seems that no one wants to hear this show because of all the negativity it recieved. Thing was, If you had followed this band like most of the top posters on this board, then you would know the progression the slip has taken.

If you picked up the first copy of STaTe OF MiNd then you will hear what the band has to say about the issue. I can openly say that I enjoy the newer songs, and i think they are getting better, growing more and more as I listen.

Somethings I dont like, I dont like listening to phish now, when i was younger i was like woah this show was killer, then 10 years later, they played the same song, the same way with a 15 minute jam of trey going wild. But phans were loyal and they were kind of just brainwashed.

It is true that most original slip fans were smarter then your average phish fan. But i also think a new fan base was bound to happen and I as a 17 year old am embarrased to be catagorized with them. From lastnights show, there were severl kids of my age, standing in the 5 feet of room blocking most spectators dancing as if it were an 8th grade dance. Bouncing up and down to a 4/4 rhythm is all they know and they just put their hands up. The most shocking part was the two girls who got up onstage and nothing happend, they just danced. 16 year old girls dancing when they should be enjoying music, not getting attention to themselves.

I had a good time at the show, first pro recording came out decent.

I never have been that annoying kid at a show, but this was my first slip show to see more then one person who was of my age.

I love this new music and i loved teh old music, but I love old books, and i love new books. Times change, people change, jobs change.

people jsut dont "give up" that easily, wait it out a bit longer. Im sure they will read graffiti, and probably dont want to loose you all.

wow. so shocked at the posts for this show.

!~Dan

i hear you, dude. i was in front getting pushed around by all those idiots who thought they were at a dance club. ugh. i'm 17 too, so please don't think we all go to Slip shows just to socialize and try to look cool.

but about the music. man, that shit was great. they tore it up last night. i love their new stuff to death. but then again, i'm 17 and a "new" Slip fan, what's my opinion worth?

thanks so much for the recording. for those of us who enjoyed the show, it means a lot.
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

damn those people dancing having a good time! Someone should come up with some sort of concert etiquette so everyone can safely stand and stare at the band the whole time. :roll: Come on now,

I found that crowd to be quite respectful, not much chatter at all from where I was. I actually remember being amazed at how quiet it was during the first song. I cant remember the last time I've seen a band with a room full of people that gave the band enough respect to not talk while they play.

How many bands would want a crowd to stand and watch their every move and remain motionless? If a band is playing in this setting its a show! They enjoy that energy from the crowd.

Personally I love to dance and cant help myself and I enjoy seeing others getting into the music as well. To me a lot of that makes a show a good time. For those of us that enjoy rockin its fun as hell when you get a good crowd thats rockin.

Sometimes I stand back and watch as well. However Im always listening more than anything and I think its honestly hard for some folk to really come to a show and have a clear head with no other intention than to listen and enjoy the music. Personally I dont think it should be that hard, but for what ever reason it is.

And Im sure those girls were having a great time. I thought that was awesome and the band seemed to be 8) about it.

ANYWAY: I had fun and I thought there were multiple points in this show where they pushed to be creative. Maybe theres something wrong with my ears.

HOWEVER: Dan congrats on your first recording! I'll be sure to give my thoughts when its done.

100! :idea:
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

there is a special person that will reach a special number in 5 posts
francis
From the Gecko

Dan wrote:there is a special person that will reach a special number in 5 posts
not sure if i get this? anyways.. thanks for the show.. grabbing it now. brent said it sounded good.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

The three guys dancing and swinging their arms in 4/4 unison really bugged me. I've come to the conclusion that this is the type of fan the slip are catering too. Short attention span ADD kids who probably hated the Coltrane playing on the PA preshow and were bored by the breakdown of Gekko and middle of Cumulus. If you are 17 and are bugged by these fans think how it looks to a 33 year old.

I sat in the balcony and was shocked at how weak the crowd was up there. Not one person stood up the entire show. I usually can't sit down at the Slip because i won't be able to see the stage. Very odd.
francis
From the Gecko

instead of i'm surprised, i'm impressed.
-francis

order your precious swords!
get your free sword catalog!

really good stuff Dan, great job. just one question...how come you split it into three discs? seems it could fit onto two discs (all i saw->suffocation keep on disc one, miss prism->one of us standing on disc two).
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

its over 1400MB

there would be one song left out, last one standing.

so i split it up a bit. Maybe from the flac to what ever you want it might work....
not sure.
retiredgaboni

nice work daniel son
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

I was one of those kids in the front row dancing like it was an "8th grade dance." if you remember any of the kids in the front row, i was wearing a green button-up shirt and had my fist in the air a lot with one of my friends.

This was my 9th slip show, and if any of the comments were directed at me, then I can tell you that I assure you that you don't know how to have a good time. These shows are just as much about admiration of the band members as they are moving around and having a good time. If you're in the front row you SHOULD be dancing. I was standing almost directly in front of Brad, and as much as I watched him, I danced just as much.

Sometimes, you just have to let go and flow with the music and that creates your own experience in going to a live show.

Although I wish they would play more classic songs, I did enjoy it. But I'm kind of bummed by the complete lack of jazz lately. When I heard So Dope a few shows back I was pumped. I was completely surprised that they didn't play Children of December, though.

There are things I love about this band and things I miss about them, but either way I completely enjoy seeing them every time.

and to add on, I'm 19, and I feel as though I can dance around like an idiot and still enjoy music.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

ha ha right on man,

Fist in the air is differnt then doing that weird snapping thing.

what ever music moves me. I had to gaurd gear but oh well
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Dan wrote:ha ha right on man,

Fist in the air is differnt then doing that weird snapping thing.

what ever music moves me. I had to gaurd gear but oh well
Where was the thing that you read that sparked your intial message in this thread? I'd be interested to read it.

I did have my fist in the air a lot, and have of it was giving one of my friends a tough time. Me and another friend had someone in between us who wasn't dancing. And, hell, he was in the front row, damnit. HE SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT HIS DANCIN' SHOEZZ!!!!!1 So we took turns giving him hell, in the form of dancing into him from one side to the other, hence shoving him back and forth. And then doing opposite fist in the air with him in between. And various grabbing of his chest to make him feel awkward.

Also, what's wrong with the dancers on the stage? I thought they were a bit much, too, but still. After all, at the show I went to 2 weeks before, Brad called all of us in costumes up on stage. Too bad I can never understand what people say on the mics (when they aren't lyrics), and I had no idea what he said, and therefore never went up. :(

Edit: Also, i assume these recordings are in flac or wav...do you know of a mac mp3 encoder I could use? I have one, but I can't figure it out for the life of me...it's an iTunes attachment and I haven't figured it out yet.
Katie
Invocation

Dan,
Sounds pretty good, I listened to most of it on my long drive back to VT. The higher end, particularly the cymbals, seemed a little loud in the mix in the beginning, but it's not overwhelming. So I'd say I was pleseantly surprised with the recording quality. It did fit it on 2 80 minute CDs, BTW.