Grimis acoustic torrent 8/20/2005 on BT

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Grimis acoustic torrent 8/20/2005 on BT

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=18483

recorded and mastered by me

hope you enjoy

Dan
Last edited by Dan on Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffro
Lion on a Rock

I grabbed this last night and listened to a bit of it this morning...pretty good! Some cool covers and they sound like good players
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

man hop on right now this is MEGA hot,

20 seeders, get it in a snap!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

recorded and mixed by me
Just a little note/tip/whatever...

Mixing is when you actually blend more than one track together, like a matrix is mixed because it is 2 stereo tracks (SBD and AUD) mixed down to a single stereo track. A multitrack is mixed as well. A stereo recording would be "mastered". That is only when you alter the recording in any way, like EQ or compression or something. Just some info for you. Gotta learn it somewhere. :wink:
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

alright, mastered by me.

also if you are starwars fans, the "intro" track has some weird conversation that you would understand
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

so i guess no one took a listen cause no one wants to hear my recordings! ok
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I have scanned through some of it. I love the crickets. I have only heard a few minute but it sounds like the imaging is not very centered. It's very left heavy. I heard some knocks here and there as well. From either moving the stand, or someone bumping it. They sound pretty good and the over aural quality is really good too. Did you have headphones to check out the imaging while you were there? Not too bad! Sounds like fun.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

the mic was centered right at them, inbetween the two PA speakers. it was on a patio so the right side had the wall.... dont know if that bounces the sound back to increase it.

Was that cricket comment sarcasm.... im bad at reading it online! ha ha

but I like these tips. Oh also when i do direct monitoring it seems i always get big cliccks... must be my interface, so i did that in th esoundcheck and it sounded good but no one was there durring soundcheck.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

sorry also the second set, the mic was lowered to get more bass tone first set was a bit up on the high ends
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I do like the crickets. I wasn't expecting it to be outside for some reason. The imaging is definitly heavy left but I cant make suggestions from only hearing it. Sometimes what "looks" right isn't what "sounds" right. You'll learn more and more every time you record of course. I still do.

Also FYI the "etree" standard for file naming is like this 2005-08-20d1t01. You can add titles after that if you like I guess.
Oh also when i do direct monitoring it seems i always get big clicks

Even with the headphone volume down? Hard to say what the deal is with that.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

well mostly its right when i turn it on, so if i turn it on there will be a click in the signal. I mean its usb 1.1 so bandwidth i guess could get killed...

but if i leave it on it just gets too behind sometimes and plays alot of catch up and that sucks, i was about 15 feet back, and could of been 5 feet away or closer but i wanted it out of view.

im happy with it. but i like learning. Putting it on in the car is really fun, especially at night.

And when your in your friends dads car that has 7.1 souroundsound and makes this track sound amazin!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

Any favorites yet,

Pull the Planet and Lunar bicycle are really new. Pull the plaent was writen two days before that show. and played for the second time that night.

but this is the acoustic grimis. Electric yeilds somuch more. My first recording wasnt the best, but ill torrent it.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Are you taking the headphones out of the Tascam or you computer? Should be the Tascam.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

they are on the tascam. there is a swithc for direct monitoring. If i have the swithc on initially the first 5 minutes will be good, then there will be like a 8 second gap and then its just like that randomly. but if i turn it off it will do that too by a pop noise, and if i never turn it on, it will be fine. It says its no latency monotoring but i guess it is when it sends the audio signal to the computer
something is not right, but as long as i can hear it, or could i just increase the input volume so that its roughly equal if its off center or is that bad. Im assuming thats bad
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Thats a little strange. Might be a faulty unit.