So guess who okayed archive.org?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Yahoo for Cleantone! Yahoo for The Slip! And definitely, Yahoo for Archive.org!

I've got plenty still sitting on my hard drives just itching to be uploaded...

Lumps
prn76
Yaki Soba

great great news

definitely consider making mp3/streaming available if you can, I love being able to stream shows at work all day long
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

No.....

really guys MP3 is not what SHOWS should be sent in.

Yada yada the varing bit rate and its MP3, personal music format.

Mp3 should be stream only like what Clinton said, but its not, its mp3 download too. or Ogg Vorbis....

Point is, flac shn wav. thats what the slip should come in. And someone will download the 64kbs mp3 and thats like bitter shit. i dont care about teh MP3pro and all that stuff
AAC is just so you can put protection on it and better meta data.

Lossless audio is how i believe the slip should come in. I stream 128kbs, so DSL people still get it. All my mp3s are 256kbs but the streaming encoder is 128kbs.

I hope to see shows up there real soon. And look for more shows commingto the slipstream library!

Dan
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i understand the backlash against mp3's but i still love them for the convience factor. for example, my mom has a good connection and a SUPERFAST burner and when i'm at her house i can go on archive and download a whole grateful dead show and burn it to 3 discs in under 20 minutes! doesn't get any better than that!!!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Yuck! You d/l mp3 to burn to audio disks? BLECH!! How long would it take to do the lossless?
tim
The Weight of Solomon

alot longer than mp3's! i can download a dark star in like a minute flat!!!
etahn
From the Gecko

Ever hear the one about Jerry Garcia and Eric Clapton travelling in the jungles of Borneo?

They get captured by headhunters, see? cannibals, and shit, but the savages have been exposed to enough western culture that they feel the need to grant a final wish to each man before they cook him up and eat him....

So they ask Garcia, and he says, "I just want my guitar so I can play Dark Star one more time before I die." They tell him his wish will be granted and turn to Slowhand, who groans and says, "I want you to kill me first!"

yeah,yeah, wrong thread, but you already hijacked it with the format discussion, so...
The world really is magic
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

etahn wrote:Ever hear the one about Jerry Garcia and Eric Clapton travelling in the jungles of Borneo?

They get captured by headhunters, see? cannibals, and shit, but the savages have been exposed to enough western culture that they feel the need to grant a final wish to each man before they cook him up and eat him....

So they ask Garcia, and he says, "I just want my guitar so I can play Dark Star one more time before I die." They tell him his wish will be granted and turn to Slowhand, who groans and says, "I want you to kill me first!"

yeah,yeah, wrong thread, but you already hijacked it with the format discussion, so...
That's freaking classic!!! :lol:
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
lumpy
From the Gecko

Hey Cleantone - any updates on archive.org? I'm waiting with baited breath to start uploading... :D
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Just a bit of delay for a while. There will be some online things happening soon and the archive idea might be getting in the way. I might have jumped the gun with this post but it should still happen someday and hopefully not too far in the future.
ScS
From the Gecko

so the archive isn't confirmed, cleantone?

if so, after reading the title of this thread and then your post, my mood matches your avatar.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

There is more too it than that. It's behind the scenes stuff I don't feel comfortable posting online. In a nutshell there are more parties involved with upcoming things and it's more complex than just agreeing to allow uploads.