name that mystery gem B&P

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

etahn
From the Gecko

Here's the rest....

2. Steel Drum Zion (does this thing have an actual name?)
09/15/2001: S.L.A.C. Festival - Apeiron Fields: Coventry, RI
w/Adam Deitch

3. Stand By Me
09/15/2001: S.L.A.C. Festival - Apeiron Fields: Coventry, RI
w/ Leslie Helpert

2 and 3 are pretty much givens, if you listen to Brad talking. I have no real idea on the taper. If Katie says Donaghue, then so let it be written.

4. 74
2002/11/12: Sun Theater: Floyd, VA
Sam Leonard

5. Tenfold
20020825: The Planet: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sam Leonard

4 and 5 are lifted from a sampler/demo the band made in late '02/early '03. My guess is that these were mixed/mastered by Sam, and therefor multitrack recordings to begin with. Sam was still running ADAT (see also: Rack of Doom) in those days, and I don't imagine anybody else would be multitracking in NS.

6. YMS
2002/09/21: Old Main Inn: Fredonia, NY
Jim Crichton
I picked this because the last time I saw Jim, he told me that Fredonia had been declared the best YMS ever. I haven't heard the tape, and I think 12/30/2002 kills this particular version, but it's pretty hot, and the sort of gem old FT might have up his sleeve.

you torph, is there a bonus point for nailing the photo on the j-card?
The world really is magic
Katie
Invocation

etahn wrote:
2 and 3 are pretty much givens, if you listen to Brad talking. I have no real idea on the taper. If Katie says Donaghue, then so let it be written.
FYI, that credit comes from a quick search of source info on etree & phishook and there seems to be only the one source in circulation.

I forgot all about those samplers! (Of course, the ones I had via the street team weren't labeled with dates either... oh well.)
etahn
From the Gecko

Katie wrote:I forgot all about those samplers! (Of course, the ones I had via the street team weren't labeled with dates either... oh well.)
Actually, mine just said "live" for those tracks. I pulled the dates out of my, uh, pocket.
torph
Alsoa

ok..

Owner of A lonely Heart (only time played)
Ocean Club Roller Rink 10/31/98
recorded by Jason Booth
Pter Stoltzman on keys

Steel Drum Zion
S.L.A.C. 9/16/01
recorded by Jim Crichton
Adam Dietch on drum kit

Stand By Me
S.L.A.C.
recorded by Jim Crichton
Leslie Hellpert on vox

Fox Theater, Boulder, CO 10/3/02
recorded by Sam Leonard

Tenfold
Fox Theater, Boulder, CO 10/3/02
recorded by Sam Leonard

You Might Say
??????????????????????????????
recorded by Sam Leonard

Ethan, you nailed it- tracks 4 & 5 do indeed come from a sampler distributed by Ian Kaley. The YMS was a trick- Brad can't even remember when and where it came from, except it was indeed another Sammy track- perhaps a matrix. So by my tally (I never heard from a few of you guys out there, but I feel like its time to show the cards):

1st place tie: Katie & E-than Pure @ a whopping 15 points
2nd place tie: Tim & Pat @ a pathetic 14 points (just kidding)
the slackers: 0

The S.L.A.C. tracks are straight form Jim C. I don't think his source circulated much. The YMS remains a mystery, but as I said, I know its from Sammy. So Ethan and Katie are both gonna get another disc in the mail. Ethan- your pretty smaat, as we say in Rhody- I really though those SBD's fell though the cracks. They are soooooooooo sweet, though. Esp. that fucking Tenfold. 22 mins. of wicked fun. Game over.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

congrats to etahn and katie :!: no way pat shares 2nd place with me after jacking my list though :twisted:

cool contest, the disc got me back into some slip after having not listened to them for a couple weeks. even better was the fact that i had never heard anything on the cd, so it was a good time really getting into the tracks and then playing detective with slipbase(thanks phrazz).
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

tim wrote:congrats to etahn and katie :!: no way pat shares 2nd place with me after jacking my list though :twisted:
hey I sat in my dining room sweating for like 3 hrs figuring everything out... I will say though, that i didn't get as many pts as tim, because I couldn't figure out tenfold... which is pathetic I know.. just goes to show you how long it had been since I've heard it... So I would say I would definately come in a 3rd place... at which, I'm more than happy...

see... I'm not afraid to admit that I suck! :lol:

Great game torph!!
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
etahn
From the Gecko

Pstehley wrote:see... I'm not afraid to admit that I suck! :lol:
We're not afraid to admit that you suck either, Pat. <insert apology, comment about doors wide open, etc.>

torph-
is that picture from Middlebury? I think I can just make out a Pac Man blanket in the distance, and maybe Phalen's head on the right. Can you say fire alarm?!
torph
Alsoa

Ethan, once again you are too fucking good ayt anything Slip. Yes, that blurry photo-shoped pic is from that Middlebury show when the fire alarm went off. I remember playing with a ballon in the hallway and BAM playing Torque and Soloman. And let us not forget the FPD opener. Holy shit, those were the daze.

Pat, I guess I'll take this opportunity to demote you to 3rd place. Good effert though. Just know a Tenfold when you hear one.
prn76
Yaki Soba

I'm working without a burner right now, how can I check out that disc you put together?