Can someone send me some live slip?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Tom Dowds engineering and producing discography (a.k.a. 1,000,000 reasons why you should watch this DVD)
http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/discography.htm

Way the by this is also on the jammy's ballot for best DVD. It got my vote!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i'll def have to check that out. i stuffed the ballot box in your favor by the way, it's always handy to have about 10 different email addresses.

seeing the duo tonight so i'M feeling like bub rubb right now.

"WOOOWOOOOOO""
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i think they do it by IP adress
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

i think they do it by IP adress
Is that just a guess, or do you know somehow? What if you have three totally different people vote form the same PC. Like housemates or something? I am only guessing but I think it is email only. They don't even have you verify your email addy. Wierd.

go VOTE!!
tim
The Weight of Solomon

i think it's just email and personal info. i just made up the personal info and i didn't vote 10 times btw, more like 4 times.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

he may be right...i just tried voting with two sets of different info and it accepted the first vote but rejected the second. funny thing is i already voted from this ip the day it was announced :shock:

i still don't understand why they would only let an ip address vote once. so there can only be one vote coming out from a kinko's, a workplace, a library or a school computer lab? these are all the types of places someone who doesn't own their own pc would turn to for internet access. how bizzare.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Well, I don't know anything for sure but I have had a few friends over and had them vote from my computer and it hasn't rejected anything yet. Not as far as I know at least.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

it's like when I was in college with a po box and my roommate used to rip off BMG with names like Tyrone Shoes...

they let Pam vote.. and she votes via the same computer as me.. just different email address....
admin
Site Admin

Voting authentication

Tim, the simple answer is that the webserver access logs register the IP of the incoming connection: whether that's from a router, a firewall, a proxy or other intermediary host is left as an "exercise for the reader" and it is not trivial to tell the difference. Since this is the only simple form of unique identifier, this precludes students and such from mobbing the vote. For instance, one could simply switch computers and vote again.

I think the IP and the login credentials are taken together. So, different people could vote again once they logged in as themselves from the same IP. I haven't checked on this, but it looks like others have.

Regardless, I wouldn't use this primitive voting program to elect the next President -- instead we suffer with programs and hardware designed by companies whose board members are friends with the President (Diebold, that is). I would focus your concern on votes that really matter instead of this little sandbox in the Internet jungle. 8)