Top 5?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Roar!
Tenfold

Top 5?

Hey everyone,

Finally, after several attempts to register through my AOL e-mail address, I've found success through my MSN account!

Well, I'm fairly new to music by The Slip. I've listened to Eisenhower a lot over the past year and a half, and really enjoyed some of the live jazzy jams I've found on youtube, and I'd like to delve into the live recordings. I'm no stranger to the trading community...I've traded a bit within the Nirvana community, and I've begun to trade some shows for this band called The Murdocks, who's newest EP is my namesake. And get this--I'm only 16. :P

Anyway, I'm not particularly picky, and I'm new to both The Slip's back catalog and my appreciation of live recordings, so I'm wondering if anyone has a "top 5" of Slip concerts in an MP3 format they'd be kind enough to upload for me...although, one I'd like to be a part of that is the NYE 2004 show, which I've heard great things about. So far I've gotten the 8-17-03, 4-15-06, and the 12-29-06 shows. So basically, it might be a lot to ask for a n00b, but some sort of top 5 or top 10 would be perfect. Preferably a mix of the older style they used to play and the newer stuff.

As for SMMD, thanks to Harry, I have my fill for quite a while.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to becoming a part of this community alongside everyone.
Roar! Roar! Roar!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Roar!
Tenfold

harrymcq wrote:Not top 5 stuff but stuff I happen to have on my server:

http://tuxie.mcquillenart.com/mp3/slip2000-12-31.zip
http://tuxie.mcquillenart.com/mp3/slip2003-12-30.zip
Nonetheless, I appreciate it a lot. Thanks! :D
Roar! Roar! Roar!
macfly
Get Me with Fuji

Welcome, Roar!

6/27/2000 - Sculler's Jazz Club - Boston, MA (via Sendspace)

Here's a show that I think most would agree is essential listening for anyone new to live recordings of Slip music. Brad even once mentioned it in a 2001 interview:

BB- Luckily though this tour has been pretty much on nights. Unfortunately, I hate to say this, but in my opinion San Diego was not one of the really on nights. To me San Diego and San Francisco were the two nights that for some reason I couldn't pull it together. But I know my perception of it is probably a lot different than someone else's. In terms of my perspective though, I always tell people if they want to know the music, they should find a show we played in Boston, I think its 6/27/00. I would like to recommend it, it's some of the music we've made that I like a lot.

Listening to it last night I was reminded of the enthusiastic and unified response from the audience that really makes this show a winner. Must have been an incredible experience for anyone who was there.
etahn
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:Not top 5 stuff but stuff I happen to have on my server:

http://tuxie.mcquillenart.com/mp3/slip2000-12-31.zip
http://tuxie.mcquillenart.com/mp3/slip2003-12-30.zip
I seem to recall the end of 2003-12-30 being pretty damn hot. Something about a 74 > Solomon > Baba O'Reily? WTF?

ok, as a whole show maybe not top 5.
The world really is magic
iandigstheslip
Mudslide

Scullers, definately a top 5 show, the hard part of a top 5 is that so much will have to be left out. There are many layers, phases and moods to this band.
If theres' one thing I know to be true: let what you love, be what you do.
Colin
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

i am very partial to the 06.28.2000 set from the Knitting Factory. I still gotta find the discs round my house. I get chills once and while when I hear the whole crowd singing "solomon" when brad's mic malfunctioned.

gecko > zion > moral decay
Crazy Awesome
bitchtits
Alsoa

Fall river 12-31-04 the greatest show i've attended, might still be able to find it on bt.etree.org
Thrice you have rescued me from falling grace;
once when I was a beggar and you were the rain on my face,
once when I was crippled and you carried me,
and once when the blindness of others taught me how to see.

BrentW
Get Me with Fuji

9-6-01 Northampton MA, 4-4-04 Plains PA, 10-25-03 Winooski VT, 12-26-03 NYC, and 6-27-00 Boston are my top 5 of all time.
tyler
From the Gecko

05/02/03 Philadelphia - a mostly chilled out, relaxing sort of show
12/26/03 Knitting Factory - one acoustic set, two electric sets
08/07/04 Ice Cream Truck - kinda surprised this one hasn't been mentioned already
04/15/06 Fall River - for some Eisenhower-era goodness
etahn
From the Gecko

I'd put 12-30-02 in there. Maybe 9/6/98 if you want to dig way back.

And I've been listening to 3/18/2006 pretty regularly. the up All I Saw Was You is SO hot.

Fucking Ice Cream truck. Best paper birds and best proud i've ever heard. Best Sox is 7/4/04.

Scullers is great because it sounds SO good. And the crowd was really with it. I mean that place was silent. I've never seen the band/crowd connection so tight. how do you say Lion on A Rock? Oh and did I mention that the band was ON that night? OK, maybe someone dropped a cue here or there. But listen to the opening Ho No Seh > Ernie Mickey, Torque, and YM>Aptos.

Ever feel like you're just saying the same thing over and over?

That's my top 5 today. I reserve the right to change my mind on this as son and as frequently as I see fit.

In fact it's already changed. Disregard this entire post.
The world really is magic
Roar!
Tenfold

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. This is one of the best live recording communities I've been a part of, and I appreciate the patience and time taken to not only upload the shows that I've gotten, but the time taken to reply with thoughts and opinions.

In comparison, if I had posted a thread like this on the Nirvana board I go to, I most likely would've been spammed off the site.
Roar! Roar! Roar!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I can't chime in because there are dozens and dozens of "top 5" shows and recordings. ;)
kate9487
Mudslide

oh man 12.31.04 fall river show is my favorite, too. I still have yet to get a recording of this of any sorts, but my memory takes me back to it all the time.
Big Bob
From the Gecko

Here's something for you, Roar!

4-18-04 Cut From the Cloth w/ Heart-Shaped Box tease.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pgkd3hu1woi