WASH D.C. JUST PUT UP ON BT

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

DCDireWolf
Tenfold

reseed now up on etree

Okay, this should be much better, and Fuji is no longer cut.

Enjoy. Michael.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=10990
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.
FromTheGrieco
Mudslide

For as long as I can remember BAM has had a problem with people chatting during the quiet parts.
Phrazz

Velvet crush

That room is way too small - the sound guy was just trying to free up space for the overcrowding. We gotta get BAM a better room in DC (Black Cat???), so we have room to move and good spots for the mics. Thanks for doing the recording, Michael--it's never perfect, and some clubs just aren't into listening (they are into chatting). Other clubs might have a better crowd that is more respectful, but I'm seeing some differences between DC and NY and Boston that I'm still trying to fathom.
DCDireWolf
Tenfold

We gotta get BAM a better room in DC (Black Cat???), so we have room to move and good spots for the mics.
The Black Cat isn't quite such a good fit. The scene there is a bit too indie-rock snobbish (nothing against indie rock at all, just certain scenester populations within that genre).

Is the State Theatre too big? Of course then you have to deal with Walther who I hear is no fun to deal with. (all hearsay, never met the guy). The Slip might do well as a bandstand show at the Birchmere, but I bet that's a hard place to get a gig at.

DC really needs a place the size of the Funk Box up in Baltimore for non punk/indie rock bands. The Black Cat is good size but the bookings are pretty narrow in scope. The 9:30 Club is great for bigger national touring acts and there are plenty of large venues for the huge national touring acts, and there are plenty of small clubs for up and coming talent (Iota or the Grog, or DC9 for example), but it's severely lacking in a midsize hall. [/quote]
You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know.
tim
The Weight of Solomon

DCDireWolf wrote:Is the State Theatre too big? Of course then you have to deal with Walther who I hear is no fun to deal with. (all hearsay, never met the guy). The Slip might do well as a bandstand show at the Birchmere, but I bet that's a hard place to get a gig at.
believe the hype, walther is indeed a supreme bastard. it really sucks because he has a monopoly on the scene in baltimore. the new rams head live just opened up and that is an amazing place but too big for the slip right now. i'd really love to see them play at the ottobar in baltimore one of these days, it doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles of the funk box or 930 but it does have a cool indie vibe that doesn't reach the point of being "too cool for you".

the slip have played at the state theatre once before and i think they can get around the "walther factor" if they play there again. sound tribe has play there for the last four years or so and while walther ran the first couple gigs he hasn't promoted the last two at least. sts9 is big enough now though that they really don't need the help of a promoter. i agree that d.c. needs a nice midsize venue, i'd prefer clubs to theatres. now if the slip could play constitution hall...that'd be awesome!