normalize or no?

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

magpie
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

normalize or no?

question for all you audiophiles...
i've recently read that normalizing is a Bad Thing, so what's your thoughts on that?
<i>become...

but remember that you already
are</i>
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I am by no means an expert on this but I believe that some people think normalization is bad because it alters the original patterns of bits as captured at a particular resolution. Something like re-sizing a jpeg in Photoshop maybe? I tend to normalize unless I happened to have the levels really high because I hate it when I am listening to random and there is a huge discrepancy between the volumes of tracks from show to album to show. With albums there are other factors like compression of course and with audience recordings you can get a vastly different response based on the mics, placement and type of pre-amp and/or A/D. Normalization doesn't solve the problem completely but I think it is a decent thing to do if you are distributing a source that has low levels as long as you do it with a half-decent or more audio app that hopefully has a decent algorithm for the normalization.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I assume your talking about an option on a CD burning software and not editing software? If so your probably better off not doing the normalize. Espessially if you might ever make copies of the CD that could branch out into what used to be the "trading pool". The general rool of thumb with editing other peoples recordings is "for yourself only" out of respect to the person. Meaning, you wouldn't want to download a torrent, normalize it and reupload it to the net.

It essentially looks for the peak volume of a track, figures out the potential peak, and adjusts gain to bring the peak to the potential peak (or where you tell it to [i.e. 95%]). So there is some "destructive" editing happening.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

If I'm using a pro level audio app like Peak, (which I use), ProTools, Audition, DP4 or anything in those realms I don't think normalization is that bad. If you are doing the ultimate archive I could understand why not to do it but if you record a show digitally with low levels it's always going to be low on someone's stereo or ipod or whatever if it isn't normalized.

I don't however believe discs should be normalized by the disc burning app under ANY circumstances unless it is for a deaf old relative or something.
magpie

i had been instructed years ago to used normalization as one of the final steps of getting a recording ready for cd, for the reason harry mentioned (consistent output levels), but then i'd read on some other audio thread recently (can't even recall now off the top of my head) several people proclaiming "no! don't ever normalize! do this, this, or this instead... normalizing is destructive to the file, etc" to which i thought, huh?
just curious on y'alls take...
<i>become...

are</i>
Phrazz

Normalcy is overrated...

...oh, you mean for a live recording you created? Then "most likely." You should really get an overall average and then look at the peaks. Some compression helps, especially if you're resampling (ie MP3). This smoothens the wave by virtue of making the peaks less prominent. For particularly "hot" recordings, you have to normalize tracks also when you're doing a multitrack, but even just a room mic can be too close for hearing comfort. If it sounds too lound, normalize a little but if it's a traded show in a chain, I wouldn't mess with the original (except for my own collection...I don't mind MP3s at high rates because they're fine for most of my listening enjoyment, but I still like SHN and FLAC if I have the space for it).

I don't know...how much do other tapers normalize their own shows. Do they ever feel the peaks max out and they have to adjust levels? I know this is a bigger factor with bass...that can get muddy and ruin the mix. But frequency adjustment isn't quite the same thing, just saying some post-production work might be necessary and if you're adding to your own mix, then go ahead and make it sound the way you like. I even add effects (a little reverb is always nice, but you want that in the recording chain for best quality).

That's my take, but I'm not a pro...I've only recorded a few times and I will defer to the pros for their own view of when and where to use this nice feature. ;-}

-Peace,

Phrazz
magpie

yeah,
i'm talking in terms of processing a live recording.
most often than not (because i'm generally dealing with acoustic performance) the problem i have is it not being loud enough, rather than peaking issues, except in terms of audience applause peaking way higher than the music itself (in which case i selectively compress the peaks to be more in line with the rest of the recording before overall compressing/normalizing).
anyways, i'm a total amateur with this stuff... any advice/suggestions, or simple "well, i do it this way" information is appreciated!

thanks!
<i>become...

are</i>
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I will generally automate volume changes and use compression and/o a limiter.