VOTE NOW!!!!!

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

I completely agree with that...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

If we were going to include one oldie I would nominate Weight of Solomon from NYE.

As far as the "standards" go, we need a Airplane/Primitive, Soft Machine and Paper Birds for sure but do we want the best quality recordings or the best quality performances. As far as recordings go we only have circulating matrixes of 3/31 and 10/4 as far as I know. We also have the High Sierra FestivaLive Slip and SMMD Big Meadow sets in SBD or Matrix but those are commercial product and not kosher to distribute as far as I know....

Another contender for me would be Wine and White Soda. Also a Moderate Threat > Cowboy up would be great, they were nailing that by the end of the tour.

Oh, I just remembered the FM-SBD from Boston opening for MMJ.

What are people's favorite audience tapes? I've bittorrented pretty much everything and listened to it but with the similar setlists this year and all they are pretty well scrambled in my head as to which has the best playing and which are the best recordings....
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

in a short answer yes... we want great performances and high quality.. unfortunately with audience recordings sometimes.. they don't go hand in hand.. but.. a good recording is good enough.. ya know... like I said.. just keep nominating... nominate as many as you want, which ever ones you think should be on it.. then we'll poll them and vote on them.. it's the same process I've done the past 2 years...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

OK, so what if a song was played twice? Does that make it more than a novelty?

I ask because if you're going to talk about covers, I have to bring up "Moonlight Mile." Not that I don't like the Thin White Duke, but the Bowie covers seem like novelty gimmicks to me.

The Stones stuff feels like a real reaching back and recognition of the roots of some of what they've been pulling out lately. (The Poor Boy > Long Way thing does this as well.)

If you saw them play Sway in Saratoga in '05, you know what I'm talking about. It's a perfect, natural fit.

Both versions of Moonlight Mile that I've heard were audience tapes that were somewhat noisy, but I think that if you listen closely you can hear BAM digging it deeply.

I know my bias is obvious and I don't deny it and I doubt a general vote would show others in agreement, but while I think including covers does give an important additional aspect to a picture of where the band was in '06, my personal choice would be to not pick the novelty stuff (a sing along Modern Love, for instance.) What are the covers they've "adopted?"

I think it's obvious that the heavy rotation heavies (Airplane/Primitive, Paper Birds, Rats, CoD, Soft Machine) need to be represented and a Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up is a VERY good idea. Sorry, I can't pick specific dates. I'll leave that to others.

And who can identify the year's killer I Hate Love?

And what about Suffocation Keep?

And then there's the Nube Eube from 4/15. If anything points out how far they've journeyed, it's comparing that to an old school Eube.

But wait, we can't forget..... <and on and on>

hoby
hoby

I know I just got done lobbying against "novelty" covers, but there's no denying the power of the Tomorrow Never Knows > Children of December encore from 12/7.

Take it from someone who has heard LOTS of covers of TNK (including the first WOMAD festival US tour, where I heard 2 or 3 acts cover it in one day!), BAM delivers a GREAT version. And when the jam heads into CoD territory and Andrew kicks into the drum breaks that say "YES, here we are.."

Man, oh, man. I dare you to put that on while driving and stay at the speed limit.

hoby
putty
From the Gecko

i have seven shows from this year, and that 12/7 show is probably my favorite. the Airplane/Primitive, I Hate Love, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, and encore are as ripping as it gets. i didn't nominate all of the above because i feel like seeing a compilation cd with a bunch of songs from one night is not representative of this band, even if they were especially on that night.

The 9/16 show from NY is a really good one too, but i imagine it can't be used because it's mp3.
Colin

heres one

wolof
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I just listened to that 12/7 show this weekend. I think I had listened to part of it before but wow! Nice recording and great playing. I also would nominate Weight of Solomon from NYE if I haven't already.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

OK.. sorry I dropped the ball a little.. I've been hella busy, my band's got a huge gig coming up and we're working to get our demo out.. but here's how the voting process goes... I'll see if I can find somewhere/someone to get all the tracks from and put them in mp3 so that we can listen to them and decide (anyone wanna help with this part?)

OK.. voting goes like this... (and unfortunately there not a lot of nominations)... you sort the order of your picks 1-10 and the tracks are decided on with a point method...

1-2 = 5pts
3-4 = 4pts
5-6 = 3pts
7-8 = 2pts
9-10 = 1 pt

after all the voting is done, I tally up the score and sort the tracks... then we'll worry about artwork and whatnot... YOU MUST BE LOGGED IN TO VOTE! no guest voting will be counted!! ok.. here we go.. the nominanees are...
10/4 Montreal - Paper Birds
10/4 Montreal - Happy Snails

6/10 Montreal (Brad and Andrew) - P.O. Box 216

12/7/06 Airplane/Primitive

06-17-06 Love & Tears

03/02: Paper Birds > Mudslide

7/20 Webster Theatre - Spice Groove
Dear Milena - New Years

6/30/06 HSMF - Wolof (with Josh Roseman)

The Shouters - either 7/1 SMMD or 6/24 (lots of chatter though)

4/15 Fall River - Eube,
4/15 Fall River - Poor Boy
4/15 Fall River - Sleepy Head
4/15 Fall River - Even Rats
9/16 Red Hook Brewery - Wine and White Soda,
9/16 Red Hook Brewery - I Hate Love
12/29 Providence - Portrait of a Scientist,
12/29 Providence - All I Saw Was You
12/29 Providence - STTN
12/31 Brooklyn - Dear Milena,
12/31 Brooklyn - The Soft Machine
9/16 Poorboy > It's a Long Way to the Top

All I Saw Was You - 12/31, 12/29 or maybe 12/9
happy voting...
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
Blane_Montreal
Tenfold

any way we can put up some mp3s so that people know what they're voting for? Otherwise it'll just be the best distributed shows that get the votes.

Edit: Sorry, I see you mention that above. Here are the mp3s for the 10/4 tracks I nominated from the megaupload site:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I29RVQ50

Crap, I put airplane/primitive and Happy Snails in that file instead of Paperbirds and Happy snails by accident. Here is the Paper Birds seperately. I'm dumb today.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WM79HCDW

I'll add the Brad and Andrew track asap.
JhamieFromHamilton
Neube

second that Guelph 12/7/06 Airplane/Primitive
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I think we need a big chunk from NYE. We need the jam > Eube (pt. 2) Weight of Solomon, Wine and White Soda Even Rats, Dear Milena, All I Saw Was You.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon

harrymcq wrote:I think we need a big chunk from NYE. We need the jam > Eube (pt. 2) Weight of Solomon, Wine and White Soda Even Rats, Dear Milena, All I Saw Was You.
I think someone needs to learn the voting process... :wink:

nominations are done.. everyone had a long time to do it.. now please, vote in the correct manner, this is the way I have done it the past 3 years and it has worked very well... thanks
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Umm, from Jan 16:
harrymcq wrote:Eube & Weight of Solomon from NYE

That's off the top of my head, I will be thinking of this....
and Jan 22:
harrymcq wrote:I just listened to that 12/7 show this weekend. I think I had listened to part of it before but wow! Nice recording and great playing. I also would nominate Weight of Solomon from NYE if I haven't already.
So I guess though Wine and White Soda as well as Even rats didn't make the list four of the six songs I mentioned from NYE had formally been nominated yet only 2 made the list.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Does anyone have a recording of the 7/20 show? That could knock it off the list if we can't get it.

Also the High Sierra stuff is from FestivalLive, a product you can order from them right now. I love both of those songs, the Wolof and The Shouters, highlights of my Slip year for sure but I don't know if we can/should distribute them unless anyone has audience recordings.