VOTE NOW!!!!!

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

VOTE NOW!!!!!

hey people.. just priming the pump a little.. it's time to start thinking about what tracks we want to put on this this year... hopefully, they'll be a lot more people nominating/voting this year... I think we might start nominations next week.. so starting thinking about what your favorite tracks were this year..

if a mod could sticky this it'd be great...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright kids.. it's time to start the nominations... don't all jump at once... we'll have nominations until 1-28-06... then we'll start the voting process.. ok... happy nominating!!
Last edited by Pstehley on Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Blane_Montreal
Tenfold

ok, I haven't heard at ton of the 2006 stuff, but here were a few personal highlights from the stuff I did see/tape:

Montreal 10-4-2006
Paper Birds
Happy Snails

Montreal 6-10-2006 (Brad and Andrew)
P.O. Box 216
putty
From the Gecko

12/7/06 Airplane/Primitive
lumpy
From the Gecko

06-17-06 Love & Tears
bradm
Beantown Rocker

From 2006-03-02: Paper Birds > Mudslide

Aloha,
Brad
drewry
Cumulus

Spice Groove - Webster Theatre 7/20/06

Dear Milena - New Years
you know our love will not fade away
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

6/30/06 HSMF - Wolof (with Josh Roseman) - not sure if this circulates other than FestivaLive! Official recording

The Shouters - either 7/1 SMMD or 6/24 (lots of chatter though)

Good Versions of Stealing Bread from a Crow, Portrait of a Scientist and Let There Be Horses (have to think about that)

Are covers included? I'd nominate Changes from NYE

Also a Poorboy/It's A Long Way from one of the times they did it.

Eube & Weight of Solomon from NYE

That's off the top of my head, I will be thinking of this....
tyler
From the Gecko

4/15 Fall River - Eube, Poor Boy, Sleepy Head, Even Rats
9/16 Red Hook Brewery - Wine and White Soda, I Hate Love
12/29 Providence - Portrait of a Scientist, All I Saw Was You, STTN
12/31 Brooklyn - Dear Milena, The Soft Machine
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

A strong second for

Poorboy > It's a Long Way to the Top

9/16 The Delancy was my most mind blowing song of the year and the one that's stuck with me most. Can't wait to hear that again.
-B-
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

All I Saw Was You - 12/31, 12/29 or maybe 12/9 but I haven't listened to that yet.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I think it would make sense to keep the song list to the tunes most often played (to some extent). That is assuming your trying to make a collection that best represents the bans in 2006. I think Love and Tears as well as Spice Groove don't quite do that. For whatever that is worth. I think Airplane, Paper Birds, Soft Machine might be requisites for the comp.
lumpy
From the Gecko

If there are nice little bust-outs in 06, why can't the slip06 fan compilation have bust-outs?

I understand where you're coming from in wanting to create a great live comp. of their standard 06 show - but on the other side, the comp can be a collection of our favorite slip moments, regardless of the song that they happened during.
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

If there are nice little bust-outs in 06, why can't the slip06 fan compilation have bust-outs?
That is true. Correct me if I am wrong but in the past I think this has been done to make a CD that can be handed to someone who has never heard the band for a bit of promotion. I'm not saying that there couldn't or shouldn't be a bustout or maybe two on there. I just don't think (IMO) that it should stray too far from a typical 2006 show. I think the "standards" should have a heavier presence. Songs that were played once in 2006 were probably done so for a reason. Most likely a favor for a friend or something. But sure, at least one REALLY good one should be included. I hope that makes sense. It's just my educated opinion.
Pstehley
The Weight of Solomon
Location: The Earth will Disever you and consume you after these messages!

the standards are generally what is shot for... in the original though of this project... it was trying to get a finger print of what they are doing and sounding... but at the same time... it's not a horrible thing to put on a bust out... or at least nominate one... I'm open to further discussion on it... although, I do lean more towards what clinton is saying.. now if it's like a new song that jams into an older song... well.. that would be ok... cause it'd be a taste of the new and the old and gives people an idea of what they sound like when they let go.. but to have something like dear milena by itself... I don't really think that really classifies what they're doing now.. but I don't want to hinder the nomination process or leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth.. so nominate.. and once all the nominations are in... I'll sort through them.. and we can discuss further....

thoughts???
Pat..

Go See Live music!!!
http://www.myspace.com/fourthriver
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

yeah sure. I'm only making a sort of suggestion anyway. It's what makes sense to me but I normally bow out of these comps because I have a hard time narrowing anything down to tell you the truth. I just wouldn't want to see a 2006 comp consisting of 45 minutes of things they don't really play right now.