Lupo's 12/29 bittorrent

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Lupo's 12/29 bittorrent

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=503084

The Slip
12/29/06
Lupo's, Providence RI

Source:
Rode NT4 > Tascam DAP-1 > DAT >
PowerMac G5 (coax > optical in) > Peak 5.2 (normalized) >
AIFF > FLAC (xAct)

Taped and transferred by Harry McQuillen - harry AT spunturtle DOT net

One Set + 3 Encores

Disc 1
1. All I Saw Was You
2. Even Rats
3. Airplane/Primitive
4. There's A Lie
5. First Panda In Space > Soft Machine
6. Words To A Little Song
7. I Hate Love
8. The Original Blue Air > Paper Birds

Disc 2
1. Moderate Threat >
2. Cowboy Up
3. Weight Of Solomon
4. Let There Be Horses
5. Sometimes True To Nothing
6. Baba O'Reily
7. Children Of December
8. If One Of Us Should Fall

Notes:

I just got this mic and am still getting used to it. This show
was LOUD and there is some distortion on this recording resulting
from an overloaded pre-amp in my Tascam.

For the most part the recording is quite listenable
but when Marc is throwing bass bombs around in Soft Machine it
is pretty bad. If you want to hear a recording of a good show
grab this but you have been warned!
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

When I used to use a DA-P1 without a preamp I made a -10db pad to put between the mics and deck. It wont make it sound "better" like a new preamp would but it helps prevent the overloading. I'll have to get my hands on Steve's tape.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I just emailed with steve and he ran his preamp too high and said his tape of this show sounds bad and clips a lot.... I ordered a couple of Shure A15AS attenuators for my rig for the short term until I have the cash for a nice pre-amp.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i run a very inexpensive rig. The only drawback is it needs power. My laptop battery life does not last long enough.

I have an AT825, similar mic to the older slipshows. It excels at close range

then i have an US-122 (i would love an upgrade) but it does a basic job although there are some serious issues with it.

thats all

Dan
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I am happy with the Rode NT4 on the whole, it is the first mic I've owned since I sold my AKG 451C's in the early 90's (which I ran into my Casio DAR-100.) I had attenuator capsules which I could screw right between the mic and the capsule and ran them through battery boxes. I also had some Sonic Studios eyeglass mics at one point though I got rid of those because I could never be completely silent at a show. After I sold the AKG's I didn't tape for a while but finally got my Tascam DAP-1 in the late '90s and then used it just to patch out of SBD's and other people's rigs so this is really my re-introduction to microphone taping.

I want to get a Presonus Firebox or something similar when I get a new MacBook but that won't be anytime real soon. What are your issues with the US-122 Dan? It looks like a nice little unit.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

be warned the firebox and firepods can be extremely difficult to set up and get working. The mac's because there are no drivers to install it sometimes works great but I have had 2 firepods stop working and one firebox never work. They were never mine, but friends of mine. When they did work however, the firepod was great.

The US-122, not sure if you will get an updated model from that ID number, but it ran usb1.1 and if monitoring is on, it will skip data, fractions of seconds lost forever.

also it can never run more then two channels, forget about audio and a midi all at once it will never work. the 1/4 inputs do not have separate channels it all gets blended together.

usb2.0 offers higher speeds with no latency.

-thats about it

-dan
tyler
From the Gecko

If it's any consolation, I thought those moments of big bass coming from Marc (seemed when he was playing guitar and using the MIDI pedals for bass) were going to pop holes in my vital organs. it was a rough show to be standing right in front of the stacks. I appreciate your efforts sir and i'll probably still listen to this one regularly because few things make me happier than listening to a recording of a show I was at.
igowing
Poor Boy

Would anyone mind posting this as a regular download? I was at this show with a couple friends and we want to get it but bittorrent doesn't work in the dorms.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I could put it up on my FTP, email me and I'll give you the info.