npr and MISING PAPERbiRdS

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

So, some guy at work was telling me about this app he's got that allows him to capture streaming audio. Anybody know about this?

hoby
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

it is actually fairly easy but also yeilds poor quality. on a computer you would capture a compressed stream into a Wav. that is the big no no if you want to re distribute
hoby

Dan wrote:it is actually fairly easy but also yeilds poor quality. on a computer you would capture a compressed stream into a Wav.
Right, but no matter how much I dig around in the audio control panel or anywhere else, I've never been able to get streamed audio recorded either with the crappy Windows sound recorder or either of the versions of Sound Forge that I have on this machine.

This guy named a program that does it, but if you can point to what I'm missing that would let me do it with what I've got, you'd be a hero in this house.
that is the big no no if you want to re distribute
I'm not interested in distributing. All I want to do is be able to play the Sleepyhead for my wife. She heard the version on the "Montreal" EP the other day and loved it.

EDIT: Scratch that. I just figured out what my problem was. My problem is that sometimes I'm dumber than a bag of hammers. :roll:

I'm just gonna slink off into a hole somewhere and eat worms. 'G'night.

h
Last edited by hoby on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

that lovely stream there can be downloaded easily i presume it might not be

let me take a look
hoby

Dan wrote:that lovely stream there can be downloaded easily i presume it might not be

let me take a look
Don't trouble yourself, Dan. See my edit above
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

didnt have the soundcard checked off right?
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

Two things...

Hoby, couldn't you route an output into your recording gear? I've done that. I have been usning WireTap for mac to do this stuff. I recorded this stream but it is less than perfect. The over all sound is pretty good, that audience responce is pretty degraded. There seem to be some ticks here and there. From the stream and not the recording.

Someone got an FM for me. I'll up it after I get it.

thirdly...

I think there was no technical difficulties. They were schedualed for 45min and that is how long the recording is.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Yeah for Mac Audio Hijack and/or Wiretap will do the dirty deed.
hoby

Cleantone wrote:Two things...

Hoby, couldn't you route an output into your recording gear? I've done that.
Yeah, I could and have in the past. That involves stringing S/PDIF across the room and I was feeling lazy. I was looking for a quick and dirty just to grab the one song. As it is, I figured it out so that SF gets it done.
I have been usning WireTap for mac to do this stuff.

I think that's the program this guy was talking about. Makes sense, 'cause he's got a mac.
I recorded this stream but it is less than perfect. The over all sound is pretty good, that audience responce is pretty degraded. There seem to be some ticks here and there. From the stream and not the recording.
And STILL no Paperbirds.
I think there was no technical difficulties. They were schedualed for 45min and that is how long the recording is.
Ahh. Makes sense. I just assumed they'd be getting the whole hour.
didnt have the soundcard checked off right?
Let's just say that the immutable "one button*" law was in effect and even more difficult to overcome when the button in question is buried in some menu off some obscure window as opposed to in some overlooked corner of a control board.

(*One button law = In any audio engineering or other technological operation, there will always be one button or switch more to engage or disengage than you actually have engaged or disengaged.)

hoby