12.02.2006 The Slip, Avalon, Boston MA [BT.ETREE.ORG]

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Who missed the slip, or part of the slip's set because the times were confused?

Yes
38%
No, I was informed
63%

Total votes: 8

Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

12.02.2006 The Slip, Avalon, Boston MA [BT.ETREE.ORG]

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=502269

The Slip
12/02/2006
Avalon
Boston, MA

Source: FOB AT825(xy)>XLR>TASCAM US-122>Dell Inspiron
lineage: Dell Inspiron>Adobe Audition>WAV>FLAC16
Taped By Dan Bagnall

DISC ONE:
01. Airplane/Primitive #
02. Even Rats
03. If One Of Us Should Fall
04. First Panda In Space>
05. The Soft Machine
06. Let There Be Horses
07. Children Of December

NOTES:

# Brad broke a string
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

AAAARRRRgggHHH!!

We don't need Panda In Space seperate from Soft Machine!

This is gonna bother me for the next year I bet...

Thanks for the post Dan. I'm only partially serious about that of course.

Oh by the way, you should grab CD Wave for track splitting. It automatically puts edits on the sector boundries. These tracks have
SBE's as they are now.
Last edited by Cleantone on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drewry
Cumulus

but what about older soft machines with different intros? like the bonnaroo show has that really sweet bass intro, but it isn't first panda. so isnt putting first panda in space on the setlist good for accuracy's sake?

thanks for the seed
you know our love will not fade away
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I don't know. Seems like lumping it all as The Soft Machine would be best. I know I used to seperate an intro on the first bunch of recordings. Once the song settled down (had a title and form) I just left it Soft Machine. I believe Paper Birds and Soft Machine were split for the album for a specific reason. I do not think that BAM considers them different songs at all. The recordings from the last two years keep it one track. It's not a big deal of course. It does add some confusion for tapers I guess.
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

What about:

Keep the "intro" piece and the song as a single track on the disc but list that track with both titles. Fer instance:

4. First Panda > Soft Machine
5. Original Blue Air > Paperbirds

This is why god gave us the ">" (Actually, it was Murray Krissmuss who gave us the ">", but that's a story for later in the year.)

That would make it easier for historians to find the instances when novel pairings take place. ("Wow dude, check this out! Here's this show in '09 when they played Soft Machine out of that new tune without a title instead of Panda." "No way!! Gotta download that onto my subcutaneous Ichip!!!")

hoby
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

My main thing is that these intros would not ever be without thier counterparts. So it is not like The Dead's Slipknot! or something. So why split the track? I have been recombining the recent seeds. The minute I saw Eisenhower I knew there would be confusion. Either way is fine overall of course. I'll continue to make the tracks the way I have been when I record. No biggie.
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

in fact haha i had it as one track until i was putting it up and then i went back and split it up and i think i cut the track a bit for some reason too mcuh...
hoby
Flight of the Peruvian Dragonfly

Setlist guy that I am, my only concern is in the documentation. I think it's fine that the intro piece and the song itself all appear as one track on the disc, but the documentation should reflect that both parts are on that one track.

I agree that we'll probably never hear First Panda in Space without Soft Machine, but we have and could very well again hear Soft Machine without First Panda. So it might be worth distinguishing between those instances.

I'm guessing we'll have to hold a panel discussion on this at the first international Slip Conference. Maybe between the "EISENHOWER - What's Up With That Title?" seminar and the "Planning the Perfect Slip-ified Halloween Costume" workshop.

hoby
lumpy
From the Gecko

hoby wrote:"Wow dude, check this out! Here's this show in '09 when they played Soft Machine out of that new tune without a title instead of Panda." "No way!! Gotta download that onto my subcutaneous Ichip!!!"
You crack me up. I was imagining that as a cartoon :)
diesel
Camp Shuey Counselor

hoby wrote:What about:

Keep the "intro" piece and the song as a single track on the disc but list that track with both titles. Fer instance:

4. First Panda > Soft Machine
5. Original Blue Air > Paperbirds

This is why god gave us the ">" (Actually, it was Murray Krissmuss who gave us the ">", but that's a story for later in the year.)

That would make it easier for historians to find the instances when novel pairings take place. ("Wow dude, check this out! Here's this show in '09 when they played Soft Machine out of that new tune without a title instead of Panda." "No way!! Gotta download that onto my subcutaneous Ichip!!!")

hoby
i agree with hoby, but i do see your point tone, but like you said since they decided to split them on the cd, it should be noted on the text file. but dont split the tracks.
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH