Alright, is this a new Slip BT record or what!

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Alright, is this a new Slip BT record or what!

Alrighty... approx 8 hours since it happened... Here is the BitTorrent!!! Yes I have been up all night I cleaned my refrigerator and took a few volcanoes but here it is for you all, thanks for the awesome recording to our buddy Marty, long time Slip fan/taper and mister Grizzly Radio (for those of you who love the High Sierra!) This recording could have sounded even more amazing if it were a matrix! Next time you are shooting the shit w/BAM mention how a SBD patch is a good thing for us all...

The Slip
November 11, 2006
The Independent, San Francisco CA

Source - AUD
Josephson C42MP (balcony) >
Presonus Firebox > DAT > digi-in on Mac G5 > Peak 5.2 (normalized) > FLAC
Taped by : Marty Lefkowitz
Assisted by : Harry McQuillen
Transfer, Tracking & Seed : Harry McQuillen - harry@spunturtle.net

One Set
Disc 1
1. First Panda In Space >
2. Soft Machine
3. Poor Boy
4. Like The Words To A Little Song (title uncertain)
5. Airplane/Primitive
6. Even Rats
7. Wine and White Soda
8. Life In Disguise
9. There's A Lie
10. new tune ?

Disc 2
1. Moderate Threat >
2. Cowboy Up >
3. The Original Blue Air >
4. Paper Birds >
5. Children Of December
encore
6. Happy Snails
7. If One Of Us Should Fall
8. Get Me With Fuji

Notes:

The audience was very loud & talky. We wanted to do a matrix but
were unable to get the stars aligned this time....
appleofmyeye
Alsoa

NICE! Thank you ever so greatly Harry. You rock!
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

just am starting this show, listend to the new song.

The recording is a bit muffled but, this new song is incredible. Reminding me of like sandman.

just the drumming is out of this world. Very haunting.

-PLAY THIS AT THE AVALON!

(muted trumpet sound good)
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

thanks a lot for sharing mang 8)
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

i believe that there is some doubling. Each channel a millisecond off from one another. not sure what to say but thats what i am expirencing

dan
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I do hear what you are talking about. I will check with Marty to see if this is on the master and re-seed if necessary.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

It's hard to put my finger on what exactly is off with this recording, cranked on the stereo right now it sounds pretty darn good but there is a bit of a digital sounding buzz or something that I can't quite put my finger on. I can hear it most clearly in the audience between songs. My DATs are playing back w/o errors so it's not that... I also don't think that its a mic delay issue because if I only listen to the left or right channels it doesn't really go away. It is not a show stopper but like I said I will check in with the fellow who ran the mics and did the mix on his laptop to see if we can get a cleaner copy. I was thinking and there was an ac vent above us, maybe that could be it?

In any case this is an awesome show! If you are an archivist we might have a cleaner copy coming down the pipe...

My brain is still a little too toasty to write a good review...
tonygaboni
Beantown Rocker

it does sound a little odd but not as odd as soft machine without the raging drums in the beginning. I was hoping that would be an album only thing cause that was my favorite part of that song.
"One toke? You poor fool! Wait till you see those goddamn bats. "
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I've listened to this a bunch now and I don't believe there is any digital weirdness. There is a loud audience and a bit of distortion at times but the recording sounds good on my home stereo and in my car so unless anyone else is having issues I'm going to give this one a clean bill of digital health...
Dan
Camp Shuey Counselor

perhaps its just my machine :[
Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

I downloaded just the "new tune" last night. I think there is something that is wierd about the recording. I'll have to hear it again to try to think about what could have happened.
chloe
Lion on a Rock

of note(s) ;)

ok, so as much slip as i've heard etc... i still don't know where this info should go so here it is and clinton, phrazz, anyone, feel free to insert it into the digital realm for posterity

i'm hearing a definate "love is a battlefield" tease at the end of paper birds... no kidding right?
also... don't know if this would even count as a tease - in all probability it's just one of those moments when out of all the possible ways of combining all the notes in the universe a few sets of notes line up for a riff or two in two songs, a kinda same notes different place kinda deal but... floating at just before the five minute mark i'm hearing a riff that's reminding me of the main distinctive guitar riff from johnny b. goode... it's sweet whatever it is. made my six year old self smile

one last thing. wine and white soda and the whole moderate threat cowboy up thing = hot... made my 27 year old self smile

peace
chloe
Lion on a Rock

more proof i'm a genius... the five minute mark in cowboy up is where i'm hearing the classic rock and roll happiness refered to above...
lumpy
From the Gecko

Good call on "love is a battlefield" - Pat Benetar! My girlfriend heard that at the show too, but I forgot to mention it.

I'm hoping to write up a bit of a review of the past couple nights....we'll see how that goes.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

I haven't had time to write a review either, I have a lot on my plate right now personally though.

There is something a little odd about this recording. It is quite listenable but there is a little vibration or something in the recording. I could hear the AC vent before the show and I remember being concerned that it would affect the recording so that is my best guess. My 2nd guess is that Marty was recording 24 bit and I was recording 16 bit so maybe there was something a little off in the sampling or something but I don't understand digital recording to that degree. He is off in Texas for business until next week so we'll have to wait to see if his sounds different than mine. I did see another taper in the balcony as well but that source has yet to pop up...