The Slip 9/16/06 The Delancey New York, NY mp3 sendspace:

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Cleantone
Zion Gatekeeper

what is this ticking sound during sorry at 3:15?
Pretty sure that is from Andrews Roland SPDS. So a sample I guess is that answer.
Phrazz

you know it...

Cleantone ROCKS!!!!

That was such a wonderful night!!! [...seemed to fly by so fast]

Meowskers was hilarious and in perfect form. I heard a comment like "What's the deal with this guy???", so I said "Just sit tight...he's on a mission."

Thanks again to BAM and kudos to Sam No. 2 for making this epic party!!! You made many birthday celebrants and friends very happy that special night! :)

-Phrazz
chloe
Lion on a Rock

hellz yeah

THANK YOU SOO SOOO SOO MUCH CLINTON!!!! and Sam... and bam... and the academy...

i wish you guys had the visuals to go with those moments though... the milling around, the trio trickling off the stage, old friends catching up while clapping and chanting for "one..more..song..one..more..song...one..more.." and then, midroom, the only man who can make a busy din sound like silence next to his voice, mr. meowskers gave us all one of his very special moments and soundbites for posterity, something to play for the grandkids when they don't believe we ever knew how to party... and i'll admit, as a gal familiar with hope i began to have doubts... sure, brad was still on stage, but he was fiddling with a case for one of his guitars and... wait a second... he's not putting his guitar in the case... he's... and you can hear the crowd still left start to catch on... he's taking out the pretty one... (someone help... is it a gibson? i just know i think it's the most gorgeous inanimate object i'll probably ever lay eyes on - starbursty... pretty colors from burgundies to blacks to tans to mahoganies, as if the inside of a tree was experiencing the most perfect radiant sunset...) anyways... the rest is, i was going to make some witty comment about history, but ya'll can just give a listen...
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Nice show, listening right now. I like the looseness of the vibe, I love what they've been up to recently but some of the sets do kind of have the same feeling and this is great with the somewhat eccentric setlist and willingness to go for broke. I do wish I had it as something other than mp3 but I am a lossless freak, I guess this is like getting a nice cassette tape back in the day, eh?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

This show is awesome, just finishing up w/Modern Love right now. Some great stuff on this, off the typical recent map. I really feel these guys can open up their setists so much and this show is a great example of this. Ashland sounds more familiar than just Alivelectric, does that jam pop up anywhere else? Also what's "There's A Lie"? I don't think I recognize that one. The Zionesque jam is also off the hook.

This is the 2nd least 'regular' show so far this year... the first:

6/16/06: Hotel Utah - San Francisco CA
Set 1: Before You Was Born, Chasing Rabbits, Clementine*, Mudslide, Wine and White Soda, Rise and Shine (Sleepyhead), Get Me With Fuji, I Know**, Nellie Jean
Set 2: jam > Rhythm and Gold, Something Learned, Airplane/Primitive*, Weight of Solomon, Joe Higley
Encore: (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding > Tommorow Never Knows
Notes: * w/ Brad on piano for intro. ** not sure of actual title.

That was totally out of hand!!!! I so wish somebody was taping, I didn't pull my deck out of retirement 'till the next night, there were ZERO tapers at the Utah show. My friend had his stuff in the car but I couldn't talk him into setting it up as they were just starting when he got there and he had to leave early... In any case I love what BAM are up to these days I just wish they would play a bit longer on the whole and mix up the setlist a bit.
SamNo.2

CROSS POSTED TO GENERAL CONVERSATIONS.....

THE SLIP - 9/16/06: The Delancey - New York, NY

On the eve of IKE, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone involved with making this party – my 29th birthday - truly a night to remember. (Sorry for not posting on the reviews thread, but I wanted to make sure the entire community knows how grateful I am to the people who helped make this happen). I understand the Cleantone’s outstanding recording is beginning to circulate, and I encourage those of you who haven’t heard it to seek it out – it’s pretty awesome. (C, I noticed that the link you posted no longer works – where can people get a copy?)

Many thanks to The Slip, John Frattalone, Matt Rubio, Seth Rappaport, Dana at the Delancey, and especially Nick Fitanidies, aka Phrazz, who deserves special mention for spending hours helping to organize this event and deal with the not-minor logistical details. Thanks also to Torrey Marshall and Jon Bahr for their help, and to Cleantone for producing one of the best-sounding recordings I’ve ever heard of this band, (and I’ve heard a lot.) I also especially want to thank everyone who made the effort to come to the party – we had people arrive from as far away as the West Coast.

The logistical details were fairly major – (the band was playing across town earlier that night) - but everyone pulled together to ensure that this event went off without a single major hitch. It was like butter, baby.

As for the show itself, I’ll leave the reviews to others, and just make a few quick notes.

- Sat. the 16th was my actual birthday

- I think a lot of us made a real effort to push the band and challenge them. Note someone who shall remain nameless yelling, “It’s time to f*ck sh*t up!” directly before the first set begins. Throughout the album, you can here people yelling, “Go Boys!” and egging them on, etc…I think the lesson is that this is a band that really appreciates an engaged and challenging crowd – and will respond in kind.

- The intro and outro music was awesome and sounded like Slip album B-sides, potentially from IKE. Anyone know anything about this?

- Airplane/Primitive, which I heard for the first time, hit me like a ton of bricks. Needless to say, the opening line seems most appropriate for a birthday party!

- Cleantone – the second song played was The Original Blue Air, which like on IKE, directly precedes Paper Birds. My guess is that they will almost always appear together – they did at Tonic as well.

- A/P, OBA, Paper Birds, CoD is a pretty serious way to begin a show.

- Diesel – interestingly enough, the PB performed here is SLIGHTLY FASTER than the one on the album, and MUCH FASTER than the version they played at Tonic last week. But in terms of actual number of measures, this version was longer than the album version – including Andrew’s buildup to the climax of the song - and the breakdown before the end of the song. Like you, I like this tune a little more uptempo and longer.

- During PB someone goes “That’s hot!” A girl can be then heard asking, “What is?” A third person, whose identity shall remain anonymous here, then replies, “We are!”

- Children of December begins with a Tears For Fears, “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” tease. Also listen for Brad cracking up several times; including right after Marc’s fill, after the line, “June is for the bass!”

- Brad dedicated There’s a Lie to my brother Andy, as well as the whole show. It was a very special moment for us. The song is about brothers, I think.

- Sorry and Ashland were personal requests. Sounds like Andy (Barr) was messing around with his electronic drums during Sorry. Serious business.

- “Zionesque” was WAY too short, but it became clear that the second set was going to be structured around Poor Boy.

- It’s a Long Way to the Top….appeared to be completely spontaneous, and the crowd went ballistic.

- If One of Us…..was an absolute knockout.

- It you listen closely, you can hear people yelling out for the Jameson that was being passed about. “Yo, pass that ‘Jame-some’ ovah heah!” Classic.

- The funniest think about the Meowskers, uh, “event,” was that after the climactic “It’s a birthday party!!!” Torrey Marshall can be heard saying, “You can trust him, he’s an actor!” Classic.

- There’s not much to say about “Modern Love.” It’s one of those moments that will go down in Slip history. (Though, do listen for a crowd of girls near the front cracking up at the “makes me horny” line.) Anytime you can get the whole room singing you know its special. Kudos to Cleantone for his superb recording – there’s really nothing like watching trying to record a show on all of this high-tech equipment while simultaneously getting his groove on….fierce!

- For me, Modern Love was a perfect end to a perfect night. But it wasn’t really the end. In fact, in some ways it was the beginning. Which is why the best line of the night is the girl who yells “Here we go!” at the last chord. The night was just beginning, as were the rest of our lives.

Cheers,
Sam
----
Set 1: Airplane/Primitive, Paper Birds, Children of December*, Sorry, There's A Lie, Ashland, Soft Machine, Cowboy Up tease
Set 2: "Zionesque"> Poorboy> It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock and Roll)#, If One of Us Should Fall
Encore: Modern Love^
Notes: Private Birthday Party for Sam Gustin
performance dedicated to Andy Gustin

* with Tears For Fears teases
# AC/DC cover
^ David Bowie cover performed acoustic by Brad and the audience

Neumann KM184> Lunatec V3> DA-P1> DAT (mics duct taped to light trusses split on stacks) recorded, mixed, and mastered by Clinton Vadnais
--
lumpy
From the Gecko

Hey Sam - Thanks for having such great friends that would throw you this party, and share the soundtrack with all of us :)

Here's a new link to the sendspace download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/106sw8

Thanks Cleantone!
KLUE
Get Me with Fuji

Cowboy Up 'Tease'

The Cowboy Up 'Tease' was Androo bumping into the drum machine like the random shakes and jingles when he used to bump in to the box with the symbols and percussion toys on it, except that never got written up as a tease even though it did teased of shakes and jungle to come in the next set. :)
Keep Lookin' Up for Ever
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks to Clinton, here is this in lossless!

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=503953