Barr Bros 12/5

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Barr Bros 12/5

Has anyone checked out the Barr Brothers on their current tour? Went last night to Stage One in Fairfield. Was really curious how they would adapt to Sarah leaving the group. They sounded really tight and the steel pedal was a really nice touch. They played a few tunes i hadn't heard in a while "Before you were born" and "Let there be horses." All in all a good show. A lot of requests to play old Slip songs. Brad replied "I think you are thinking of a different band."
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

Re: Barr Bros 12/5

Glad he addressed it!

Was this one of the shows where they played an entire album?

Funny to me to always see Slip mentions / song requests on the Barr Brothers instagram posts.
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Na was an assortment off their 3 albums. Played "Burn Card" as well which was nice. Was a small crowd, was hoping they would of played somewhere in NYC where they would of had a better turn out. Can't really figure them out though , seems like they had built up a lot of momentum in the states only to tour exclusively in Canada a few years ago. In 2006 after Eisenhower came out and playing on late night they vanished at what seemed like the height of their popularity of the slip.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

the frustration is real, my man. But also part of the deal.
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
mwred
Lion on a Rock

I missed this run, but look forward to March in the Boston area. The pedal steel player Brett Lanier has been part of the band for a while, and I agree, great addition. Saw them play a shortish opening set for the Milk Carton Kids earlier this fall and was happy to see & hear the new harp player Eveline Gregoire-Rousseau, who sounded great. I am glad they've gotten back to having harp as a part of the sound but I was sorry to see Sarah go. I saw them in fall 2017, just a couple weeks before her departure was announced, and on that show, her harp and vocals were both more prominent in the mix than before, and she played an electric sarangi thing on a tune or two too. Seemed like she was becoming a more central part of the sound, not about to leave.
http://www.mandorlamusic.net - presenting live jazz & other creative music in intimate Boston area spaces