7/6/18 SMMD Beef Barn Set

Reviews of live performances and news about upcoming shows.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

7/6/18 SMMD Beef Barn Set

Set was unannounced and unsanctioned. It was behind the Beef Barn (High Sierra is at the Plumas County Fairgrounds) where the cattle are shown. A lot of the production crew camp around there and created this performance/hang out space which was awesome. However technically amplified music is not allowed at camps after 11PM. There is this one security dude who LOVES to bust camp parties and Davis in particular. He showed up and shut things down after 3 tunes. (I don't believe I missed a song, I had run back to get my gear - Andrew had told me no chance they were starting soon but they were doing a song I didn't know about 10 mins later, as I had left Brad was just driving up in a mini-van) Anyway there was a huge argument with this security dude and some of the approx. 50 people there, this guy is the guy who always busts Davis and other bands for unauthorized sets. However Brad perservered.... started playing then doing Before You Were Born. The Security guy had left and Brad plugged in and started singing into the Mic. Then the rest of the Slip came out and did a couple of Slip tunes at which point Nathan returned. He had been pretty pissed earlier and even said he resigned as Mayor of High Sierra (which he later took back.) The whole thing was very intense. But then one of the High Sierra bigwigs, Dave Margulies, showed up and the security guy was rebuffed by the boss! Everyone was happy and Davis played a good set. Here is the list:

unknown
Ambrosia Drunk
Tin Can Coffee Cup
busted by security
Before You Were Born (Brad solo)
Let There Be Horses (Brad + Andrew)
Life in Disguise (The Slip)

Exploding Pen
Unprotected Sex Song
Hollow
Rubber Ball
High Sierra Heartbreak
Howlin’ at a Hollow Moon
Joelle
How Stupid I Am
Fat King of Gods
Been Too Long
Last Man Alive (without Brad)
mahgeetah
Even Rats

Re: 7/6/18 SMMD Beef Barn Set

Thanks for all the details, Harry. Looks like I missed way more of the set than I thought... glad I saw what I did. Loved how they sounded. Highlight of the fest for sure. That and Sturgill.
mahgeetah
Even Rats

Is there also a recording of the Beef Barn set? Thanks so much for the other sets!!
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

mahgeetah wrote:Is there also a recording of the Beef Barn set? Thanks so much for the other sets!!
Yes still working on that recording... been swamped post-High Sierra!

I missed Sturgill but heard it was great.