jam scene peak

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

jam scene peak

Was doing a road trip the other week out in the midwest and reminiscing with a friend who went to college in Springfield Mass in the late 90s and early 2000's. We were saying when we thought the peak of the jam band scene was, especially for acts like The Slip. Have to feel like it was around that time period. If i look at some of those venues like iron horse or pearl street or lupos (now the strand), there just isnt that scene anymore. There used to be more festivals as well in the Northeast (berk fest, traveling of the vibes, etc) that just no longer exist. I'm not sure if the EDM scene that starting coming out in the late 2000s sort of took over or if it just became harder for bands to sustain a lifestyle that worked for them as they got older. If you look at a lot of the slips shows around the 99-04 period, they were playing at a ton of colleges. Went to go see a jam band at Fox Theatre in Boulder, CO the other week and it felt similar to the scene i used to remember. Just sorta rambling but curious what others thought.