Surprise Me at High Sierra?!

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

lumpy
From the Gecko

Surprise Me at High Sierra?!

What great news out of High Sierra today! https://www.jambase.com/article/high-si ... 5a39b2fc6c
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Re: Surprise Me at High Sierra?!

Yes I can't wait! I wish they had gotten 2 real sets or even a late night but I gather this was a last minute add, probably to try and drum up some excitement with low ticket sales this year. I will try to record!
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

really excited to hear how this goes
mahgeetah
Even Rats

Got two SMMD sets. The scheduled playshop performance, plus a late night, campsite affair. While the first set was fun (and unrehearsed), the late night set felt much more raw and organic. Speaking for myself, the first set sort of felt like the band was "checking the box" in the sense that they felt they needed to get the band back together one last time, whereas the late night set felt more natural, like this won't be the last time we hear from SMMD. Just my impressions, but I could be completely off. Only caught the latter half of that one, so will let others chime in. Barr Brothers sets were excellent as well. Missed the Big Meadow set, but heard it was the better of the two. Also heard Brad and Nathan did a campsite set as well, but, missed that one too.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

The beef barn set was epic... we had some conflict, despair, Brad resisted while others were defeated, and with the blessing of one of the HSMF organizers the set continued to its natural conclusion. I still need to make a setlist for that one.

In the meanwhile here's my audience recording of the Playshop set - https://archive.org/details/SurpriseMeM ... 170.flac16
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

was there any talk about The Slip?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

No talk that I was part of, but The Slip did do Let There Be Horses and Life in Disguise at the Davis Beef Barn Bust set... so we did see just The Slip for a couple of tunes!!!
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

harrymcq wrote:No talk that I was part of, but The Slip did do Let There Be Horses and Life in Disguise at the Davis Beef Barn Bust set... so we did see just The Slip for a couple of tunes!!!
interesting choices but guessing since they didnt have much time to practice (if any at all) those would be relatively "easy" to play. Was let there be horses a Slip song before a Barr Brothers tune?
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Kevin_Kjr wrote: Was let there be horses a Slip song before a Barr Brothers tune?
Yes