Poll: In what year did you first become a fan of The Slip?

General Conversations

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

In what year did you first become a fan of The Slip?

1996 or before
8%
8%
12%
4%
4%
27%
19%
15%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Re: Poll: In what year did you first become a fan of The Sli

Wow, it's great reading all of the reflections here. Thanks for posting your memories. I just reminisced with my brother a few days ago about all the great Slip years we were fortunate to be part of. I was a junior in high school when I discovered The Slip. Some of my friends had been talking about them and I caught the next local show: 4/19/01 at Pearl Street in Noho. Awesome night and I've been searching for a recording ever since (although I seem to remember hearing way back around that time that Brad had requested the tape not circulate :( ) I have loved this band ever since, through everything. I always come back to them when I need to hear something great, always. We had a tight circle of friends in western MA who all loved this band and we loved seeing them together.
Hear Here
AsianGirl
Even Rats

I became a fan after my first show, which was 9/21/1997 at the House of Blues, back when it was still in Cambridge / Harvard Square. My friends from school came home one night from seeing The Slip and could not stop marveling at the awesomeness of the 9/20/1997 Choppin' Block Show. They were headed the next day to the HOB show and asked if I wanted to check the guys out.

The Slip played with Timo Shanko on Sax, and after the show my friends asked me what I thought of the band. I replied, "I liked the show, but I would like to hear them without the sax guy." Which I did, in the next few shows I went to in Oct 1997. My buddy Joe managed to get some dorm funds and worked it so The Slip played at our Halloween Party that year as well. Good Times.

I'm one of those fans that know right away if I like / dislike something. And The Slip was instant, "YES!"

I fell in love with the melodic beauty, understated at times but always positive, and oh-so-good. Their rhythmic groove hits the spot everytime.
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Thanks for your story AsianGirl and welcome to the board!
Joshie Wah
Tenfold

Re:

lumpy wrote:Good poll! I was lucky enough to be gifted a tape of their high sierra 98 set from a friend I was trading phish tapes with in early 99. By the end of the year I had moved out to upstate New York for college (from San Diego) and caught my first show in at the Iron Horse. I have very distinct memories of behind side-stage (essentially where you walk in at the Iron Horse) directly behind Androo, and just being in awe.

Thanks to Slipbase:
10/02/1999: Iron Horse Music Hall: Northampton, MA
Set I: Invocation> From the Gecko> Zion> Moral Decay, So Dope, Nellie Jean, Johnny's Tune> A Crack in the Sundial, Dont Foil the Mohel*, 54-46 Was My Number*
Encore: Dogs on Bikes
Notes: *=with Eric Krazno

I have no idea if this was recorded, but if it was - I'd love to hear it.
I know this thread is super old and I dont know if anyone still comes here. I taped this show. My tapes sound good! Jim was the other taper at this show.
Joshie Wah
Tenfold

I am not sure if anyone comes here anymore but I will add my .02 to this thread. My introduction to The Slip is fun. I had been friends with Cleantone for a few months in April 98. I had a pretty basic taping rig. I had a stereo Radio Shack deck that looked like a walkman it had 2 mic inputs. I had 2 condenser mics I also got from Radio Shack, and an extended boom mic stand set up. Super bare bones. Cleantone asks me if I would like to go to a show at the Iron Horse. The bands were Schleigho and The Slip. I at the time was not as musically adventurous. He said well if you aren't going can I borrow your rig. I knew he wouldn't trash or damage my stuff so I was fine with letting him borrow it. The next day he told me I missed out on 2 GREAT bands he dubbed me up the tapes of both bands. I never not went to a show Cleantone recommended from that point forward. I saw my first Slip show a few months later at the first Berkfest. I brought my equipment to tape but that festival was doomed from the beginning. It rained the whole week before the weekend and it was at a farm. The mud was so deep everywhere up to your shins everywhere up to your knees at some points. My car was in the day parking area because I knew my car would not even make it halfway to the camping area because of the rain. I chose to just leave my taping equipment in the car. All of the bands that were scheduled to the main stage were cancelled because of the rain and deep mud. I caught so many bands for the first time there. The Slip played and reinforced the notion that they were THE BAND!!! I then became a rabid Slip fan trying to catch them anytime I could mostly in MA and RI. Some of my favorite shows I saw were Friday night of Phish's Camp Oswego festival. They were the only "oficial" band playing that night on the side stage (Echo Stage). I had seen them about 15 times up to that point and had befriended many of the Boston Slip family crew. Partying right up front watching The Slip with thousands of people watching my favorite band behind us. I was convinced they were going to really blow up after that. The next show that really stands out was 11/24/00 I went to the show with my buddies Ryan and Mike. Club d'Elf opened I was floored they were soooo good!! Then The Slip came out and played one of the best shows I saw them play and is still in my top 10 shows I have ever seen. The next really awesome show that stands out is Creekside Jamboree 01. I had been told of the magic of that festival from all of the Boston Slip family. The Slip played the latenight set in a tent behind the stage. Their set was one of the most musically spiritual sets I ever experienced. Super special times there! It was a tent was full of diehard Slip fans many familial faces and friends. The next 2 Creekside Jamboree's were also super special. I was also blessed enough to be invited to Booty Bash and the next years festival at Bethel Farm. SLAC Fest was also an incredible experience. I miss The Slip soooo much!!
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

really hoping that "dog on bikes" act does another tribute to The Slip in the future. I'm so mad i missed it but the recording from Cleantone made it sound like it was awesome.
Joshie Wah
Tenfold

Kevin_Kjr wrote:really hoping that "dog on bikes" act does another tribute to The Slip in the future. I'm so mad i missed it but the recording from Cleantone made it sound like it was awesome.
Northampton is my old stomping ground. Ryan the guitarist is a close friend. I went to at least 50 Slip shows with him. I was in Cali when that show happened. Glad to have Cleantone's recording!!
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Joshie Wah wrote:
Kevin_Kjr wrote:really hoping that "dog on bikes" act does another tribute to The Slip in the future. I'm so mad i missed it but the recording from Cleantone made it sound like it was awesome.
Northampton is my old stomping ground. Ryan the guitarist is a close friend. I went to at least 50 Slip shows with him. I was in Cali when that show happened. Glad to have Cleantone's recording!!
Do you know if ur friend has any plans of doing another cover show?
Joe Higley
Lion on a Rock

Joshie Wah - I loved reading your poll response.

To Kevin_Kjr - I think the Dogs on Bikes tribute (2 shows in April 2014) was a one and done kind of thing. However, Ryan has east coast and west coast versions of his group Jalbatross, and the east coast version usually throws a few of those Slip tunes into the mix when they play (mainly at Bishop's Lounge in Northampton). They're usually good for a Lucky Dragon and/or Don't Foil the Mohel.
Hear Here
Kevin_Kjr
Beantown Rocker

Joe Higley wrote:Joshie Wah - I loved reading your poll response.

To Kevin_Kjr - I think the Dogs on Bikes tribute (2 shows in April 2014) was a one and done kind of thing. However, Ryan has east coast and west coast versions of his group Jalbatross, and the east coast version usually throws a few of those Slip tunes into the mix when they play (mainly at Bishop's Lounge in Northampton). They're usually good for a Lucky Dragon and/or Don't Foil the Mohel.
let us know if they end up playing on the East Coast, especially the NYC area, would def check them out.