The Slip 2004 Roundup - many mp3 links!!!

Forum for discussion of taping and trading The Slip! See Subforums for Barrs, Davis, and other music.

Moderators: Cleantone, harrymcq, Phrazz

harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

The Slip 2004 Roundup - many mp3 links!!!

Hey guys I will be posting a bunch of mp3 links from 2004 shows! Here are a few to get started, setlists courtesy of SlipBase! All are 256k mp3, fairly decently tagged. If you have a show not listed please step forward to help fill in the blanks. Enjoy!

03/25/2004: Green Room: Iowa City, IA - Schoeps 621 Audience
Set I: Chasing Rabbits, Rainmaker, Nellie Jean> Headshot-esque improv & 'Big Door' jam*> Don't Foil the Mohel
Set II: (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands> What's So Funny about Peace Love and Understanding> Beetle, Hey Worrier, The Shouters%, Else> Blue Moon, Children of December#, Yaki Soba
Encore: 19th Nervous Breakdown, Nowhere from Here to Go
Notes: [TK] * 'big door or big doors' jam was brad looping a suggested name change voicemail through the guitar and a recorder while andrew and marc laid down the rhythm section that makes them the best (in my book and yours). % "The Shouters" is the new slow vocal tune, of course still tentatively named, beautiful melody, there's a line about the doctor shooting your mouth with novacaine, played a lot in november, used to be called "untitled in b-flat" on that tour. # aka The Zeroes.

04/02/2004: Mr. Small's Theatre: Millvale, PA - AKG 391 Audience
Set I: (new instrumental), Fear of Falling, Cumulus, Aptos*, Chasing Rabbits, Poor Boy, So Dope, 74, Sorry *, With or Without You, "ole" ?, Children of December
Encore: If One of Us Should Fall
Notes: * with Mike Dillon ? Spanish-style song w/Brad on Mike Sanders' Tele. [Phrazz]

04/04/2004: River Street Jazz Cafe: Plains, PA - AKG Audience
Set I: Song*, Chasing Rabbits*, Predicting the Rain*, Yaki Soba, Sometimes True to Nothing
Set II: Fear of Falling, Wolof, Johnny's Tune, Hoc no Seh, Soft Machine^, Poor Boy*, Children of December
Encore: Get Me with Fuji, Happiness is a Warm Gun^$> Else^
Notes: * Brad on Acoustic. ^ Marc playing guitar w/Bass foot pedals. Brad: "not that we ever make setlists...but tonight we figured we'd wing it and just get it all out". $ Blue Moon and Sleepers (?) teases. [ Pstehley - patrick.stehleyATverizonDotnet, Robyn ]

05/04/2004: Kuumbwa Jazz Center: Santa Cruz, CA - Rode NT4/Earthworks Audience
Set I: Space jam> Chasing Rabbits, Predicting the Rain, Aptos, River Sang To Buddha, Yaki Soba
Set II: Hey Worrier, Wolof, Fear of Falling, When Cloudy Hushes Moon, Jumby, Sandman^> Children of December
Encore: Poor Boy, Before You Was Born
Notes: ^ Improv. w/ elements of "Sorry" (Sandman?), Rhythm and Gold, The Times They Are A-Changin', then into the Zeroes [Matt Sloan, Hoby]

05/27/2004: Cabaret Music Hall: Montreal, QUE - SP-BMC3 Audience Review
Set I: Intro jam> Get Me With Fuji, Fear of Falling, Wolof> The Shouters, Out on the Weekend^, Poor Boy, Predicting the Rain, River Sang to Buddha#, Soft Machine%, Ode to Joy> Happy Snails&, Children of December
Encore: E1: Dogs on Bikes E2: If One of Us Should Fall*
Notes: ^Neil Young cover (instrumental) - Brad introduced Neil as, "one of the best humans, who happened to be Canadian." # still actually untitled. %interesting new intro, slower and very beautiful. & Mr. Meowskers on shakers. * dedicated to Elvin Jones. [ Betty - furbally1 at aol dot com , luke]

07/03/2004: High Sierra Music Festival (Tulsa E. Scott Building, Plumas Fairgrounds): Quincy, CA - Microtech Gefell Audience
Set I: Children of December, Get Me with Fuji, Improv > Soft Machine, What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding, You'll Find a Home * > If One of Us Should Fall*!, Sometimes True to Nothing*
Notes: * w/ Marco Benevento on organ & keys. ! Dedicated to Marlon Brando. [ Joe Budzelek - joebudzjoeATaol.com - Sat Oct 30 18:05:59 EDT 2004]

07/04/2004: High Sierra Music Festival (Big Meadow Stage) - Plumas Fairgrounds: Quincy, CA - Soundboard
Lotsa Sox improv, Fear of Falling, Nellie Jean, Old George, Proud, Children of December, Wolof

07/08/2004: The Fillmore: San Francisco, CA - Unknown Audience (not great sounding)
Set I: Lots of Socks, Reddish Moon%, Old George, Soft Machine, Don't Foil the Mohel*, Children of December, Planet of Inexperience*, The Shouters^
Encore: Get Me with Fuji
Notes: % Andrew on recorder at beginning. * w/Mike Dillon (of Hairy Apes BMX) on percussion and xylophone. ^ Brad said he was going to do his best Pete Townshend, towards the end climbing high up on a speaker, level with the chandelier. $ during intro, Andrew held a metal pan (4" deep, maybe 13-15" dia.) that people threw coins into, which he used to make cool sounds--at one point throwing up a handful which landed all over his drumkit--folks chucking coins from halfway across the room. BAM opened for The Motet. [dennis, maura, cleantone]

08/07/2004: Tyrone Farm - The Ice Cream Truck: Pomfret, CT - Cleantone Neumann Audience
Eube, Mudslide, Back in 15 Minutes, Paper Birds >Fear of Falling, beautiful intro > The Soft Machine, Sweet Thing+, Cut From The Cloth, Proud, Spice Groove > The Shouters#, More about Me%, Dogs on Bikes
Encore: Children of December > With or Without You
+Van Morrison # with Boubacar % With Sara Azriel

08/21/2004: Tweeter Center: Mansfield, MA - Cleantone Neumann Audience
Set I: Poor Boy, Get Me with Fuji, Nellie Jean, Weight of Solomon^, Children of December
Notes: ^ Sesame Street tease ("chasin' the clouds away"). [Cleantone, Matt] BAM opened for the Allman Brothers.

08/27/2004: Evolve Festival #5: Antigonish, NS - Soundboard
Set I: Wolof, Poorboy, Soft Machine, Nellie Jean, If One of Us Should Fall, Get Me With Fuji, Proud
Notes: Some pops/skips. Wolof cuts in. This could be great if patched or matrixed with the audience source. If anyone is up for this kind of a project send me a PM

09/09/2004: The Patio: Indianapolis, IN - AKG Audience
Set I: More Intense Surveillance, Paper Birds, Spice Groove^, Even Rats, (Erik Satie cover), Golden Rod#, Poor Boy, Chasing Rabbits, Reddish Moon, Proud, Dogs on Bikes *
Encore: Children of December
Notes: Marco Benevento played on some songs. ^ Eminem tease. #New Marc song played on the Ukulele [ casey - cpthomas at gmail dot com - Oct 31 2004] * Features "Center of the Universe" (Built to Spill) jam

09/14/2004: Glenn Miller Ballroom - University of Colorado: Boulder, CO - 3 mic matrix
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Fear of Falling, From the Gecko> Paper Birds, Gilberto Gil, Reddish Moon, Poor Boy, Even Rats, Get Me with Fuji, If One of Us Should Fall, Children of December
Notes: [ robert - Fri Sep 17 2004

09/15/2004: Aggie Theatre: Fort Collins, CO - 3 mic Matrix
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Chasing Rabbits, Poor Boy, Trane-ing, Nellie Jean$ > Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell, Reddish Moon
Set II: Even Rats, Get Me with Fuji*, Let the Mornin' In, Proud, Paper Birds, The Shouters
Encore: Children of December
Notes: $ big piece of River Sang to Buddha in the end jam [Ethan]. * Sweet Child of Mine tease from Brad. [Fri Sep 17 2004]

09/16/2004: Bluebird Theater: Denver, CO - 3 mic Matrix
Set I: Lotsa Sox, Fear of Falling, 74, Wolof, Even Rats, Let the Mornin' in, Reddish Moon*, Poor Boy, Paper Birds**, Massachusettes to DC (?), Sorry> With or Without You, Sometimes True to Nothing$
Encore: Soft Warm Simple Wonder!, Children of December$, Dogs on Bikes> Whats So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding?&
Notes: $ Extended Marc solo. * Brad dedicated this song to some family members who were at the show. ** Brad announced that this song was written by Marc, and its called either reddish moon, or my landlord. ! Some people had been requesting this one throughout the show, the seemed very happy when it was played. Brads guitar came unplugged in the middle of the song leading to a little dissaray, but recovered quickly. Brad Tossed his strat a good 15 to 20 feet across the stage to andrew, who joined in on the opening chords. This was easily the best show of the run. Really solid setlist, everything was great, but it REALLY took off at sorry. Sorry was spectacular with an on the dime segue into the best version of WOWOY ive ever heard, some real intensity here. From here on out the room was absolutely rocking. I also thought That Brads singing was particularly on tonight, he hit every note perfectly. As a whole the run was really great, maybe lacking the intimacy and tender magic that is sometimes present at a REALLY amazing slip show (although the last half of thursday was getting there), but completely enjoyable and moderately mind boggling. The songs that i hadnt heard before ( Even rats, reddish moon, paper birds) Were really great, and i was more than happy to hear them each night. Even Rats is going to be a fan favorite very soon. Its amazing to me the smallness of the crowds here in colorado, theres something wrong, because i know there are plenty of people here who do/would LOVE this music. [robert] & tease at end of chorus of Run River Run (Nathan Moore tune). [Katie]

10/15/2004: Hamilton Pepper Jack's: Hamilton, ON - DPA 4023 Audience
Set I: Intro> Tonight We Leave Chicago, Wolof, Fear of Falling, Predicting the Rain, Poor Boy*, Driving Backwards with You
Set II: Moonlight Mile$, Get Me with Fuji, Children of December#, Spice Groove, intro/banter> Suffocation Keep
Notes: * Weight of Solomon tease. $tones. # Sweet Child of Mine vocal tease. [luke - Sat Oct 16 2004]

10/16/2004: Cafe Petite Campus: Montréal, QC - DPA 4023 Audience
Set I: intro> Paper Birds, Tonight We Leave Chicago, Wolof, Lonely Boy, Driving Backwards with You, Even Rats
Set II: Fear of Falling, Proud, Get Me with Fuji > Cowboy Up > Get Me with Fuji, Children of December, Sorry> With or Without You
Encore: Suffocation Keep, What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding^
Notes: ^ at the end, Brad sang some lyrics from Weight of Solomon probably becuase there was a crowd of people outside singing it a capella before the show. [Betty]

10/30/2004: Pearl Street Nightclub: Northampton, MA - Cleantone AUD
Set I: "Ventriloquism Jam", Maria La O, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, Even Rats, The Shouters, Paper Birds, Yellow Medicine
Set II: Mudslide, Massachusetts to DC*, Sometimes True to Nothing*, Driving Backwards With You, Suffocation Keep^
Encore: Everybody Wants to Rule the World#, Children of December
Notes: The Duo (Joe Russo & Marco Benevento) opened. The guitarist and bass player from Ween joined them for a few tunes. & Brad, Marc, and Andrew played their instruments (A. on drum pad) from the back of the venue as Meowskers and company air-played their parts on stage. * w/ Marco Benevento. ^ w/ Marc on ukelele and Andrew on harmonium. # Tears for Fears cover - w/ Marco Benevento (organ), Mr. Meowskers (lead vocals) and friends (Spon Com back-up dancers). [ tasoula - Sun Oct 31 02:07:00 EST 2004 ]

11/05/2004: Tonic: New York, NY - AKG C1000S Audience
Set I: Cut from the Cloth, Moderate Threat > Cowboy Up, Even Rats, Paper Birds, Suffocation Keep
Set II: Proud, Fear Of Falling, Old George, Get Me with Fuji, Children of December, If One of Us Should Fall
Encore: Cumulus
Notes: [torph <fredwtorphyAThotmail.com> - Sat Nov 6 12:40:08 EST 2004]

11/06/2004: Mercury Lounge: New York, NY - AKG C1000S Audience
Set I: Sometimes True to Nothing, Reddish Moon, Moderate Threat> Cowboy Up, Poorboy, Suffocation Keep, Even Rats
Set 2: Cut From The Cloth, Nellie Jean, Else*, Let The Morning In, River Sang to Buddha, Proud
Encore: Mass To DC% > Dogs On Bikes > Mass To DC, Sorry> With or without You
Notes: # New title Even Rats derived from what Brad handed in for the Paradise NEMO show track list for the online sony store. We'll see if it sticks. *Blue Moon tease. **no title as of yet... % without usual intro -- instead, it started like they were launching into Dogs but holding back on playing the head. After going back into Mass to DC they threw in a typical Dogs ending. Classic Sandwich...mmmm. [ torph - Mon Nov 8 12:08:15 EST 2004 ]

11/13/2004: Stella Blue: Asheville, NC - B&K 4022 Audience
Set I: Proud, Cut From The Cloth, Cowboy Up, Even Rats, Weight Of Solomon%> Before You Were Born, Boston to DC*, Get Me with Fuji^,Old George, Reddish Moon, Poor Boy, Suffocation Keep#
Encore: Children of December, Yaki Soba
Notes: One Set w/E. % with guitar for piano parts. * Currently Unnamed. ^ Brad Loses a string and takes the time to restring it while Marc and Androo continue playing. #Androo on keys. [ Jeff Hartzell "JEFFfromNC" - Sun Nov 14 14:34:52 EST 2004 - corrections: Matthew McIhenny - Thu 11/18/04, Cleantone 12/1/04 ]

12/10/2004: Sirius Studios, Rockefeller Center, New York, NY - Satellite Broadcast
Set I: Suffocation keep, Children of December > With or Without You, Even Rats, Lonely Boy, If One Of Us Should Fall, Proud, Old George

12/31/2004: Narrows Center for the Arts: Fall River, MA - Cleantone Multitrack
Set I: Intro> Even Rats, "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III"* > Autobody Experience> Cumulus-, From the Gecko=, Mt. Zion, "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III"%, Honey Melon, Yellow Medicine
Set II: "Franklin Horatio Marshalls III", "Space"> Hey Worrier, You Might Say> "New Years" (Meowskers rant/count down)> Children of December#, "Entertainer jam", Johnny's Tune, Else^, Blue Moon
Set III: Paper Birds!> Even Rats, More about Me*, Proud, "banter", Joe Higley~, Suffocation Keep
Encore: "E:", What's So Funny about Peace Love and Understanding, If One of Us Should Fall+, "post show"
Notes: * Mr. Meowskers (aka Matthew Rudnicki), who says "The New Year is lost, and must be found!". - unfinished version. = Brad plays while laying down for more of the slow part. % "The Slip time continuum". # for Rosie (Jan. 1st birthday) - in the middle, BAM sang her happy birthday. ! new lyrics towards the end, probably improvised by Brad to welcome in 2005 "I'm so alive, in 2005!". ~ dedicated to Ian Kaley, who requested it. ^ w/Borderline (Madonna) tease, also w/Blue Moon jam. * w/Sara Azriel on vocals. + best performance of this song in its history, BAM almost was forced into a second E: but wanted to end on that note. [Betty, Cleantone, J. Booth - Jan 1, 2004]
Big Bob
From the Gecko

Re: 2004 Roundup - many mp3 links!!!

hey thanks harry!

i'm away from my darn computer for a few weeks but i will download a few of these to a friends computer in hopes to later transfer. i'm looking forward to a good Don't Foil the Mohel.
booher
Flood of Joyful Existence Waters

Any chance you've got the 4/18/04 axis show?

Thanks for all of the links :D
booher

We owe you one, or several, harry :)
Phrazz

Kick-ass!!! Thanks, Harry!
booher

Thanks again, harry. I lost that Northampton show, and it was an awesome one. I was a senior in high school that year :lol: I remember BAM walking by playing the intro song (which, we now know, is Maria La O). Meowskers also made me love Tears for Fears.
johnhk4
Beantown Rocker

oh that northhampton show -- i was there too!

great times that night. anyone out there have the duo's opening set? it was the first time I had seen them and man were they killing it!!
John from CT / wheaton college, MA
bradm
Beantown Rocker

johnhk4 wrote:anyone out there have the duo's opening set? it was the first time I had seen them and man were they killing it!!
It's on the archive in FLAC form.

http://www.archive.org/details/duo2004- ... rix.flac16

Aloha,
Brad
booher

bradm wrote:
johnhk4 wrote:anyone out there have the duo's opening set? it was the first time I had seen them and man were they killing it!!
It's on the archive in FLAC form.

http://www.archive.org/details/duo2004- ... rix.flac16

Aloha,
Brad
I dig 8)
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Ok! I added 5 more shows to finish out what I have to share from 2004 and then integrated them all into one big post (the first one.) Please let me know if you have any problems with the downloads or files, or setlist corrections or notes. I am trying correct these as I post them, maybe they can be re-integrated into SlipBase at some point.

Also if you have any shows not on the list in any format (mp3, FLAC, shn, CD, DAT, MiniDisc, vinyl bootleg :) ) please chime in!
ScS
From the Gecko

love that ice cream truck show. thanks a bunch for posting these harry!

ps i also have a couple 2004 shows not on the list but the only location i have them is on my ipod. not 100% sure how to extract them, or if it is even possible. if it is possible, i'm more than willing to extract them so they can be added to this list.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

ScS wrote:love that ice cream truck show. thanks a bunch for posting these harry!

ps i also have a couple 2004 shows not on the list but the only location i have them is on my ipod. not 100% sure how to extract them, or if it is even possible. if it is possible, i'm more than willing to extract them so they can be added to this list.
Yes there are a bunch of different apps to do that kind of thing. Mac or Windows?
ScS
From the Gecko

harrymcq wrote:Mac or Windows?
windows.
scs
delray beach, florida
"democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage"-hl mencken

"on the run from johnny law...ain't no trip to cleveland"-dignan

"a flute without holes is not a flute. a donut without a hole is a danish."-ty webb
harrymcq
Zion Gatekeeper

Check out "SharePod" - I haven't used it myself but looks like it would do the trick.
pete
Get Me with Fuji

Thanks Harry! There are some great shows here!
Gotta love the Sorry with Matt Dillon on 04/02/2004. Gives me goosebumps.
"Expressing a human need, I've always wanted to write a book that ended with the word Mayonnaise."
-Brautigan